Todd Mcshay 2015 Mock 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panic attack mock

First things first; hire a whole shiny brand new staff.

Coaching Staff

Dan Quinn; With this, we stay in somewhat the same path with a couple adjustments. A defensive coach that will turn this solid defensive core into a smash-mouth, dominant defense.

Marc Trestman; QB guru for Brock (or whoever is under center) that will be just as aggressive on offense as we'll be on defense. With CJ progressing, the offense will be more balanced.

Richard Smith; Hire from within here. A guy liked in the locker room. With Quinn handling most of the play calling, Smith won't be under a lot of pressure.

Free Agency

Demaryius Thomas; He'll stay here. At least for a year. Work out a long-term solution, if not possible, use the tag.

Orlando Franklin; He didn't have a great year. Had he stayed at RT, we'd be looking at a big payday for those pretty eyes. Franklin gets some sort of bridge (short term) deal. Alex Boone type deal (2 yr/$6 mill). Also, don't be surprised to see Clady restructure his deal.

Terrance Knighton; Can't think of the last time we had a dominant DT. Brodrick Bunkley type deal (3 yr/$10 mill).

Rahim Moore; He didn't become that ballhawk in the middle of the defense we all wanted him to be. However, at this point, there isn't anyone in the market that I would consider an upgrade. Back on a similar salary ($1.5 mill)

Nate Irving; One year, prove it deal. He showed decent flashes until he went down.

Cut

Britton Colquitt; Paid like a Top-5 punter, performs like a Bottom-5 punter, ranked 24th to be precise.

Connor Barth; He's been a reliable FGer. However, we can't afford to have 2 guys when we can grab one that can do both jobs.

Brandon McManus; Terrible FGer, good KO man. See above.

Draft

Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesotta
    With JT, Green and Tamme becoming free agents, a tight end is a must. Maxx Williams is the whole package. He can block. He can run. He can catch the ball. He can become a real threat. A Rob Gronkowski 2.0. At 28, I see him as the BPA and a guy that can help Osweiller A LOT. With Sanders, Thomas, Williams and Anderson, the Broncos have an array of weapons for Brock. A big TE becomes a safety blanket for a young QB, we also saw the difference of having a blocking TE in running situations, having a TE that can stretch defenses and block will keep the defense on it's toes something that didn't happen with Thomas (can't block) or Green (couldn't get the ball thrown his way)

LeRaven Clark, T, Texas Tech
    The plan is for Schofield to come in and start at RT next year. However, even if he pans out, it's not our only concern as Clady was incredibly shaky, Franklin struggled, and Vasquez moved around about 100 times. Therefore, a little competition is brought in. LRC can play either position. Schofield can play guard (36 career starts -- 26 right tackle, 10 left guard), in case he doesn't adjust well to the speed of edge rushers (a concern of many scouts before the draft), with Vasquez on either guard position.

Ramik Wilson, LB, Georgia
    Incredibly raw, athletic linebacker. Has the size, speed and smarts to keep up in the NFL. He can pursuit anyone from sideline to sideline. However, Wilson relies on his athleticism to run around blockers on his way to the ball-carrier, struggling to disengage when opponents get their hands on him. If he can shed blocks at the next level, he could anchor the middle of our defense for a couple years.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
    Coming off of a significant injury doesn't help anyone's stock. Add to that the fact that he's not prototypical size, he's bound to fall this far, maybe even further. However, Ekpre-Olomu just finds the way to get to the ball. He's a turnover machine. He doesn't shy away from contact, is very smart and athletic, also has very nimble hips, a move to safety is not a necessity. Ekpre-Olomu paired with Roby, Harris and Talib gives us a very deep CB stable. Would immediately replace guys like Tony Carter.

Jared Roberts, K, Colorado St
    While spending a pick on a kicker isn't sexy, it is necessary with Barth and McManus out of the picture. Strong, reliable, clutch leg. He has the physical aspects of the game down. Now it's a matter of getting the mental (kicking in front of 60 thousand opposed to 10-15 thousand) aspect of the job down. If he can manage his emotions under pressure, he can be one of the best in the NFL.

Lynden Trail, DE, Norfolk State
    Pass rusher that dominated inferior competition. Formerly a Florida player. Trail racked up 185 tackles, 13.5 sacks, 12 pass breakups, 7 forced fumbles, 2 interceptions and a fumble recovery for a touchdown. Seahawks showed you can never have too many rushers, Trail could develop into a solid situational player.
    Last edited by FabrizioHC; 01-14-2015, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• The Beasts Mock Offseason

Resign

Demariyus Thomas
      Terrance Knighton
      Virgil Green
      Rahim Moore
      Orlando Franklin
      Aaron Brewer
      Brandon Marshall

Let Go

Peyton Manning
      Wes Welker
      Julius Thomas
      Quinton Carter

Key Free Agent Pick Ups

Rodney Hudson - C
      Greg Hardy (1 year prove it deal) - DE
      Charles Clay - TE

Draft
      1. Benardrick McKinney - ILB
      2. Jake Fisher - OT
      3. Karl Joseph - S
      5a. E.J. Bibbs - TE
      5b. Melvin Lewis - DT
      6. Jake Smith - C/G

Comment

• Clark over rated IMO and not sure if Ekpre-Olumn probbly around that late in the draft. Good draft otherwise.

Comment

• I agree on all but I don's see us letting Manning go, I do see us giving him a choice. I don't think we need a Center, I think we need a Right Tackle, I can see us letting Orlando Franklin go too, he played bad. I wish we could get Clady to take a pay cut cus he sucks this year.

Comment

• lmao jesus ... mark trestman?!?! holy crap thats all i read and almost had an aneurysm
            sigpic
            -------

Comment

• Originally posted by FabrizioHC View Post
              Marc Trestman; QB guru for Brock (or whoever is under center) that will be just as aggressive on offense as we'll be on defense. With CJ progressing, the offense will be more balanced.
              I stopped reading here.

You actually want Trestman? They guy played a key role in destroying the Bears morale and there was nobody on that team who had anything positive to say about him. He showed no accountability or backbone while letting his players take the heat instead of backing them. I want him nowhere near our locker room unless he's coaching for the Raiders and is on the visitors sideline.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denverl3roncos View Post
                I stopped reading here.

You actually want Trestman? They guy played a key role in destroying the Bears morale and there was nobody on that team who had anything positive to say about him. He showed no accountability or backbone while letting his players take the heat instead of backing them. I want him nowhere near our locker room unless he's coaching for the Raiders and is on the visitors sideline.
                Kosar in the 80's, Scott Mitchell in the 90's, Jake Plummer in the 90's, Rich Gannon in 2000's, Bears ranked 2nd in offense (just behind the Broncos) last year.

I don't know him personally (I'm sure you don't either) so I can't speak of his character. What I can tell you is that the Bears have lacked character and accountability for the past 5 years, this isn't something that was new to the franchise under Trestman. The only thing I know is that he has an impressive offensive resume.

Comment

• I don't need to personally know Trestman to use Google and read articles about what his current players think of him.

If you're going to compare today's game to the NFL in the 80's and 90's you're looking at this wrong. It's a different world.

Here are a few links that were on page one of Google news when I googled "Marc Trestman".

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...23-column.html

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/12/...-hasnt-worked/

Comment

• Originally posted by Denverl3roncos View Post
                    I don't need to personally know Trestman to use Google and read articles about what his current players think of him.

If you're going to compare today's game to the NFL in the 80's and 90's you're looking at this wrong. It's a different world.

Here are a few links that were on page one of Google news when I googled "Marc Trestman".

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...23-column.html

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/12/...-hasnt-worked/
                    A year ago is the 80's and 90's? Number 2 offense in the NFL in 2013.

I can find articles with players saying they loved him too. Here's one for example

http://chicago.suntimes.com/bears-fo...rmer-teammates

He didn't handle the media correctly. But he can do wonders to an offense. Being a OC is different from being a HC. He can focus on being a play caller.

Comment

• We'll agree to disagree.

I would not be excited about the hire. I can't see Elway being excited about him either due to his lack of, well, excitment on the sidelines.

I read the original post and there are some things I do agree with you on.

Demaryius, Knighton, and Irving need to be back. I still think Julius is going to take a lot less than most are anticipating. Somewhere in the $6 million/year range.

Get rid of Colquitt and McManus. Barth could potentially stay depending on who we bring in to punt.

I like Ramik Wilson, like you said he is raw so it will take some time but I think our linebacker play has been fairly solid when healthy. I think we have more depth than some like to think. Also, if Julius is on the outside looking in, Maxx Williams would be a good addition at the right price (He's at Minnesota, not Michigan).
                      Last edited by Denverl3roncos; 01-14-2015, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• Panic is about right

Comment

• I can't argue with your draft positions. I question McKinney's ability to play MLB in the NFL, though. Also, if we keep Ware around, I don't think signing Hardy is worth it. We need to develop younger players sometime, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by causticon View Post
                            I can't argue with your draft positions. I question McKinney's ability to play MLB in the NFL, though. Also, if we keep Ware around, I don't think signing Hardy is worth it. We need to develop younger players sometime, right?
                            Hes best with stopping the ball carrier and he uses his long arms and good technique to get off blockers (something we didnt see out of Irving in college or coming out of it). Hes got great speed and agility and uses to to get behind ball carriers to stop them with a very good tackling ability and wraps up well. He also can cover well and knocks balls down with relative ease.

Hes also considered very smart and is a leader, though he does have a tendency to have to adjust mid play due to a bad read now and then. Hes a good coverage LB and a good run stopper what more do we really need. His only liability can be in the pass rush and thats it
                            2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Working...
                            X