Looking at our UFAs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at our UFAs

O-line has clearly been our biggest issue thus far into the season, well maybe 3rd down D but that's a different topic. So how do we fix the issue? Currently our needs sit at C, RT, and LG. So how does Denver fix the problem. Denver internally has 3rd and 6th round picks Michael Schofield and Matt Paradis developing. I hold much more hope for Schofield. There was talk Schofield may be best suited at OG. So if true that still leaves two holes to fill. So this is where Oregon enters the fray. Their top 2 O-lineman could immediately fill needs here.

1. OT Jake Fisher- Jake is a very interesting case, because he was probably the premier RT in CFB prior to this season, but injuries have moved him over to the LT spot. He has done very well there, but wouldn't likely have tremendous success their at the next level. He is very sound in his fundamentals, and is highly athletic for his size, and makes blocks in the second level very well. He has shown nice improvement in his pass blocking this season at LT. He is a good run blocker as well. Without him in the lineup, Oregon was worked by Washington and Arizona. However, they are worlds better with him inserted. He came back from a knee injury, and has been a rock since. With a strong senior bowl I see him as a late 1st/ early 2nd rounder.

2. Hroniss Grassu Center. A two time all-pac 12 player. He is very athletic in the middle of the line, and plays with very good leverage. He has a low center of gravity, and can anchor well. Has plenty of experience starting, he has iirc 48 games started at center. He did suffer an injury last game, but I don't know how serious. It is worth keeping an eye on.

With Oregon lineman you are getting guys who are very comfortable in an up-tempo offense. They are all athletic, and know how to run block. Oregon, despite having Mariota, has and does run the ball very well. I feel these are two guys who could help our O-Line out.
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

Good analysis. I like Fisher if he is there at the end of the first. Not too familiar with Grassu what round do you see him going?
    sigpic

2015 Adopted Bronco Von MIller
    UNLEASH THE BEAST!!!!

Comment

OC is definitely on the list of prospects to look at. I doubt they use a high pick on one though since Manny has played ok and is under contract again next year then they have Paradis developing.

None of the OC coming out this year look like instant starters to me but it does happen pretty often. A guy I like later is Dallas Lewallen out of Wisconsin. I think it all depends on how they think paradis is developing. If the FO think he is doing well, they won't take an OC at all unless one they have highly rated falls quite a bit and the value is too good to pass up on.

A similar argument could be used for RT. That all depneds on how they feel about Cornick and Schofield. If they like potential they show, they won't be drafting an OT too high either. If Cornick is looking like a future starter then they have Schofield as a swing OT to develop.
      sigpic

Comment

Specifically singling out Oregon oline I don't really care for. Nothing against them I just wouldn't single them out.

Singling out the position as a strength of need I agree wholeheartedly. Where that comes from I don't care. Be it Oregon or not.

I know they have improved the past 4 games but I'd like to see what they do in the playoff against an SEC defense or Florida st defense. Although FSU's defense isn't as good as last years.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 58 broncomaniac View Post
          Good analysis. I like Fisher if he is there at the end of the first. Not too familiar with Grassu what round do you see him going?
          Well Grassu was compared to Alex Mack by an AFC scout. However, Oregon doesn't disclose injuries so we don't know the severity of his knee injury. A significant injury of course drops his draft value tremendously. A healthy Grassu IMO is in a similar range to Fisher. Late first to early 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
            Specifically singling out Oregon oline I don't really care for. Nothing against them I just wouldn't single them out.

Singling out the position as a strength of need I agree wholeheartedly. Where that comes from I don't care. Be it Oregon or not.

I know they have improved the past 4 games but I'd like to see what they do in the playoff against an SEC defense or Florida st defense. Although FSU's defense isn't as good as last years.
            Not so much Oregon's O-line, but just so much those two specific players. It was just more convenient for me to make a single thread about two players from one school. As for improvement, there is enough tape on both from previous seasons for me to say hey these guys are pretty darn good. As for individual matchups, Fisher won his matchup against Shilique Calhoun from Mich St, earlier in the year, and he's widely considered a 1st round talent for whatever that's worth.

Comment

Here is the article about Grasu being compared to Mack.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/AFC-Scout-...-Mack-32281014

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                Not so much Oregon's O-line, but just so much those two specific players. It was just more convenient for me to make a single thread about two players from one school. As for improvement, there is enough tape on both from previous seasons for me to say hey these guys are pretty darn good. As for individual matchups, Fisher won his matchup against Shilique Calhoun from Mich St, earlier in the year, and he's widely considered a 1st round talent for whatever that's worth.
                Well I guess my point was your title sounded like maybe multiple guys fix the line. Maybe that wasn't your intent.

But if both guys are as high as you are on them then I would guess we could only get one. But I supposed that would probably still be helping.
                sigpic

Comment

Phil Steele ranks Oregon's O-Line as the #1 Top Individual Unit in college football this year.

NFLDraftScout has Fisher as the #7 T/G and #74 player projected in the 2nd-3rd round at this time. He fits the description of a solid RT.

NFLDraftScout has Grasu as the #2 C/G and #81 player projected in the 2nd-3rd round at this time. They compare him to Max Unger.

Their teammate, G/C Hamani Stevens, might be available as an UDFA.

The Broncos will have much information on Duke G Laken Tomlinson, CSU T Ty Sambrailo and others.

Under contract for next year are Clady, Vasquez, Ramirez, Clark and Schofield. Franklin will most likely be a cap casualty. I think Cornick is a RFA next year. IDK if they will re-sign Montgomery or not. My guess is that they will re-sign Cornick, Paradis and Garland.

Clady is a lock at LT. Clark is pretty much a backup LT. Cornick's best spot is RT. Vasquez is in the process of showing himself to be a G/T T/G. Manny is a C/C G/C. Schofield has LG experience in addition to RT. Garland has played both G spots. Montgomery and Paradis are C/Gs.

If they re-signed everyone except Franklin, they would have nine of the fifteen usually taken to TC. Drafting a couple of O-Linemen in the first three rounds would make for a quality, young group. It would have two rookies and two second year players with no game snaps, however.

Going with drafted and undrafted rookie O-Linemen might be a necessary frugality since there are so many Bronco FAs who need to be re-signed.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Since I didn't have a problem using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a quality O-lineman last draft. Certainly do not have an issue of selecting one in next years draft.

As was said above, I have no preference as to which school they come from. Just as long as they are good.

Comment

Maxx williams TE Minnesota

what do you guys know about him i read he came froma nfl team and he looks pretty good his 54 td catch in the bowl was awesome. he may be the perfect player to replace thomas
                      sigpic
                      oakland raders gm
                      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Williams is a beast. He will most likely be a 1st round pick, and should go before we even pick. We need OL badly, but if he is there at 32, it will make for a tough decision for Elway and Co.

He has natural talent as a receiving TE. He is 6'4" and 250lbs. He has room to grow as a blocker, but is already better than Thomas in that department.
                        Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
                          Williams is a beast. He will most likely be a 1st round pick, and should go before we even pick. We need OL badly, but if he is there at 32, it will make for a tough decision for Elway and Co.

He has natural talent as a receiving TE. He is 6'4" and 250lbs. He has room to grow as a blocker, but is already better than Thomas in that department.
                          Haven't watched him at all yet. I know everyone is raving about him as a receiver. Where would you rate him as a blocker though? You say better than JT, but that's not saying much. Honestly there are so many big, athletic receiving TEs now that it almost seems wasteful to take one in the first unless he is a pretty good blocker too.
                          Adopted Bronco: Bradley Roby

Comment

Originally posted by FrostySeamus View Post
                            Haven't watched him at all yet. I know everyone is raving about him as a receiver. Where would you rate him as a blocker though? You say better than JT, but that's not saying much. Honestly there are so many big, athletic receiving TEs now that it almost seems wasteful to take one in the first unless he is a pretty good blocker too.
                            Gophers are a run-first team. That should tell you how good of a blocker he is. He isn't left tackle-like blocker, but he is fairly decent.

Comment

from what ive heard he will go 1st to early 2nd round, so the question is do you want to use a 1st round pick on him with all the holes we have on the OLine

Comment

Working...
                              X