Free Agency News and Rumors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Agency News and Rumors

With the "Legal Tampering" period officially underway I thought it would be nice to have a thread to post any rumblings members might wish to pass along over the next several days as free agency rapidly approaches. I'd prefer to stick to mostly official media reports, but feel free to throw in any wild rumors and speculation you come across.

One of my favorite times of the year! Its always an interesting period for Broncos Country.

Chargers interested in Suh
    NFL Network's Ian Rapoport believes the Chargers will make a run at free agent Ndamukong Suh.
    At this point it can be assumed every team will at least consider Suh. He is the best defensive player since Reggie White to hit the open market, and he is one of most disruptive defenders in the league. According to OverTheCap.com, San Diego is currently $26.283 million under the salary cap.
    Related: Chargers
    Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    Texans may pursue Hoyer
    NFL Network's Jeff Darlington believes free agent QB Brian Hoyer is a target for the Houston Texans.
    Texans coach Bill O'Brien was Hoyer's offensive coordinator while the pair were in New England, so he may feel he can get the most out of the erratic Hoyer. Hoyer was a disaster as Cleveland's starter last season, but he would at least offer veteran competition for apparent starter Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Texans could also re-sign Ryan Mallett, another former Patriot.
    Related: Texans, Ryan Mallett
    Source: Jeff Darlington on Twitter

Comment

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m6 minutes ago
      This is a surprise: #Falcons LB Sean Weatherspoon will hit the open market and is unlikely to be back in Atlanta. Was a priority.
      Probably not a fit considering we have Trevathan and Marshall, but someone will be getting a great linebacker if he can stay healthy. Could see him heading to Oakland.

Comment

Chargers looking busy
        ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 1m1 minute ago
        Chargers planning to make a move for 49ers guard Mike Iupati http://wp.me/p14QSB-9IQM
        According to Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego, the Chargers are “expected to make a run” at 49ers guard Mike Iupati, and may possibly try to get involved on the Randall Cobb sweepstakes as well.

Comment

Come on, I can't be the only one endlessly refreshing twitter today?!

What would free agency be without some info from everyone's favorite insider?
          Incarcerated Bob IBN @incarceratedbob · 13m 13 minutes ago
          **BREAKING NFL NEWS**

Eagles already in touch with Devin McCourty's agent Chip wants this done quick come Tuesday #IBN
          Incarcerated Bob IBN @incarceratedbob · 3m 3 minutes ago
          **BREAKING NFL NEWS**

Jets in touch with agents for Kareem Jackson & Jake Locker
          Giants in contact with agent for Brandon Graham #IBN

Comment

The Washington Post's Mike Jones reports the Redskins have inquired about free agent RT Derek Newton.
            The Texans are hoping to work out a deal with Newton before free agency begins, but the NFL's legal tampering window could complicate their negotiations. Washington is on the hunt for a new right tackle after Tyler Polumbus and Tom Compton proved to be swinging doors last season. With Doug Free now off the market, Newton's asking price could skyrocket.
            Related: Redskins
            Source: Mike Jones on Twitter
            Newton isn't worth overpaying for. Would rather take my chances on Schofield or a draft pick to takeover at right tackle.

Comment

I dont think much happens until Monday, early Tuesday.

Now is just a time to see what some players are looking for.

Comment

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 53s54 seconds ago
                Texans reached a 5-year agreement with Derek Newton, per league source.
                I'm relieved in some ways. Not worth breaking the bank for. Bulaga and Franklin are the only starting caliber RT's left IMO.

Comment

Houston just re-signed Newton to a 5-year deal, so much for that.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                    I dont think much happens until Monday, early Tuesday.

Now is just a time to see what some players are looking for.
                    I think there is a ton going on behind the scenes. My guess is we'll see several players who were cut (Trent Cole, James Casey, etc...) sign before Tuesday's official start.

I would also guess that if we re-sign any of our own players it will take place during this three day period. Once they hit the real open market their chances of coming back decrease to just about zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
                      I'm relieved in some ways. Not worth breaking the bank for. Bulaga and Franklin are the only starting caliber RT's left IMO.
                      Bulaga stays in GB imo.

But agreed. I'd just give Schofield a shot anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
                        I think there is a ton going on behind the scenes. My guess is we'll see several players who were cut (Trent Cole, James Casey, etc...) sign before Tuesday's official start.

I would also guess that if we re-sign any of our own players it will take place during this three day period. Once they hit the real open market their chances of coming back decrease to just about zero.
                        Only internal guy we'll try to keep is Virgil and possibly Irving.

Rahim, Franklin, Knighton and Julius are gonna be very costly.

Comment

Would love Sean weatherspoon. Very underrated player right there.

Comment

PFF had Newton as the 6th best RT last year.

Would have been nice, wonder what kinda deal he got to not reach FA.

Comment

Bulaga stays in GB imo.

But agreed. I'd just give Schofield a shot anyway.
                              For sure. Bulaga has some health concerns too. Odds are Schofield or one of our top two picks will be our starting RT.

Only internal guy we'll try to keep is Virgil and possibly Irving.

Rahim, Franklin, Knighton and Julius are gonna be very costly.
                              Agreed. Franklin might be the only one that gets close to a fair contract. The rest will be overpaid due to weak free agency and draft classes at their position.

The DenverPost reported a few weeks ago that we were hoping to sign Green and Montgomery before free agency began. Since then several more centers have become available. Hope we can lock up Green though.

Comment

Working...
                              X