La'el Collins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La'el Collins.

So wished Elway took the risk re police issue with this guy and took him with our 3rd round pick(remember Collins said that if no one picked him after 3 rounds he wouldn't sign with anyone on draft week).Everyone knew the guy could play and it was at the exact position where we needed Sooo much help. Remembering our 3rd round pick was like the 92nd pick he would of been a huge steal.

Despite the Dallas Cowboys' losing streak, Byron Jones and La'el Collins have been bright spots for the team. See which other rookies have caught our eye.

Yes but that didn't happen, no use looking back on what ifs.

Comment

He's a Cowboy, not a Bronco, let it go.
      sigpic

Comment

lol don't be upset with Elway for that. The kid had his heart set on playing for the Cowboys. He was willing to sacrifice big dollars for it. And in the long run he will get paid.

I don't really look at it as us having had a shot. I think only way he would've really signed is for
        First round money despite what he said. And I'm happy with Ray despite his current injury.
        sigpic

Comment

32 teams passed on Collins in the 7 rounds of the draft.
          sigpic

Comment

I agree I think we did rather well with Ray. that said I still think we should have traded up and gone after a different lineman in the draft.

Comment

Hindsight.... At the time Clady was healthy and was supposed to have a comeback year, plus Sambrailo was just drafted to be right tackle, the o-line looked set for the season at that point. But Clady and Sambrailo get hurt and Clark gets traded, 3 tackles were lost over the course of just s couple months. Had Elway foreseen that happening he probably takes a chance at Collins.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                Hindsight.... At the time Clady was healthy and was supposed to have a comeback year, plus Sambrailo was just drafted to be right tackle, the o-line looked set for the season at that point. But Clady and Sambrailo get hurt and Clark gets traded, 3 tackles were lost over the course of just s couple months. Had Elway foreseen that happening he probably takes a chance at Collins.

Guys I don't get the "oh well maybe next time" but we did get Ray sentiment re La'el Collins. Collins was considered a top 10 talent in the draft and we could of had him at pick 92.I would run the risk re the character issue on this one every time. Ray was well and truly a Denver Bronco by the time we could of had Collins.

I think you should all erase the Ray comparison and insert the Max Garcia comparison cause that's who we got with the same type of mid round pick. To me hindsight doesn't play so much of a part cause NFL scouts knew La'el was plenty talented and well placed sources said La'el had nothing to worry about with the police issue at the time of the NFL draft.He was one I really wanted at the time(and now).

Comment

Originally posted by AussieBronco76 View Post
                  Guys I don't get the "oh well maybe next time" but we did get Ray sentiment re La'el Collins. Collins was considered a top 10 talent in the draft and we could of had him at pick 92.I would run the risk re the character issue on this one every time. Ray was well and truly a Denver Bronco by the time we could of had Collins.

I think you should all erase the Ray comparison and insert the Max Garcia comparison cause that's who we got with the same type of mid round pick. To me hindsight doesn't play so much of a part cause NFL scouts knew La'el was plenty talented and well placed sources said La'el had nothing to worry about with the police issue at the time of the NFL draft.He was one I really wanted at the time(and now).
                  Here's the ironic thing about what you suggest. There appears to be a large number of fans that are upset at Talib for his poke in the eye of of Duane Allen, rightly so in my mind. It's expected that he'll be fined for sure and possibly worse by the league. I am not sure what actions the team will take internally or if they will leave it to the league.

I just find it ironic that most are up in arms about Talib today while others are revisiting the Collins issue when both essentially have to do with serious misconduct (not exactly the same but you understand).

The point is, you have a guy that is involved in a serious incident where criminal charges are pending. Not a single team bit. What does that tell you? 32 teams chose not to potentially waste a draft pick that that they might lose forever. Could you imagine the uproar and furor in any fan base of Collins was indicted? They would want heads to roll in the FO for making such a mistake.

We can't go back in time and change things so there really is no point in playing what if.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                    Here's the ironic thing about what you suggest. There appears to be a large number of fans that are upset at Talib for his poke in the eye of of Duane Allen, rightly so in my mind. It's expected that he'll be fined for sure and possibly worse by the league. I am not sure what actions the team will take internally or if they will leave it to the league.

I just find it ironic that most are up in arms about Talib today while others are revisiting the Collins issue when both essentially have to do with serious misconduct (not exactly the same but you understand).

The point is, you have a guy that is involved in a serious incident where criminal charges are pending. Not a single team bit. What does that tell you? 32 teams chose not to potentially waste a draft pick that that they might lose forever. Could you imagine the uproar and furor in any fan base of Collins was indicted? They would want heads to roll in the FO for making such a mistake.

We can't go back in time and change things so there really is no point in playing what if.

Please read then come back and tell me how much trouble La'el was REALLY in.

A first-round talent out of LSU, La’el Collins became radioactive just days before the NFL draft when his name was linked to a double homicide in Baton Rouge. The inside story of how his agents tried to salvage his stock, and the winding journey that put him across the table from police detectives and Jerry Jones

Comment

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/15/lael-c...-investigation
                      It doesn't matter...HE'S A COWBOY end of story...You can complain that we coulda shoulda woulda drafted him, but we didn't. Life moves on. Hindsight is a great thing and it can make any past decision look bad, but at the time the coaching staff felt comfortable with the starting line that they had. It is what it is it is pointless that this gets brought up constantly on these boards.
                      sigpic

Comment

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/15/lael-c...-investigation
                        That is irrelevant because it is hindsight just as this whole thread is. I am not even suggesting it is correct or incorrect just that perception plays a big part in the decision making. If he was believed to be "toxic" then he is (or was) toxic. Too many questions with insufficient answers to make billion dollar teams take him. Throw in his attitude about not reporting to camp to reenter the draft next year and you have a guy nobody wants to be responsible for if it's their decision that ultimately get's him picked and he's either charged or he doesn't play.

Again, 32 teams did not pick the guy. That says enough about how powerful perception is. In this game with the lights so bright and every detail of a person's life potentially under a microscope, perception is everything. Perception leads to publicity and, if negative, can directly affect the bottom line. You don't even have to be guilty if everything thinks you are guilty.

But that changes nothing today, he's in Dallas.

Comment

You can play the could've/should've drafted game all day long, it's completely pointless. They drafted Garcia because they needed help at guard and center, and he can play both, nobody anticipated we'd lose 3 tackles in half a season.

Comment

Collins often tripped over his own feet moving in space in college, not what you want at all in the zone blocking scheme. He would have been a game day inactive all season if he signed with us as a free agent and he would have not signed and entered next years draft if we drafted him

Comment

We pass on great players every year. Every team does. Let it go...

Comment

Working...
                              X