Broncos trade up, take future franchise QB Paxton Lynch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by assassin216 View Post
    Why would I want Tebow back on the team,when I was one of the people,who didn't want him in the first place
    What would have been the better, surefire option that comes without the same level of risk, while also having more upside?

Comment

• What amazes me is that the same people who supported a QB who was ultimately benched by our Head-coach for a lack of leadership abilities (osweiler), don't like that we Drafted a physically "cookie-cutter", more athletic version of osweiler who will cost us 1/16th of what the Texans overpayed for.

I take Kubiak at his word when he has commented about "competition" at every position. Whichever QB wins the competition will be the QB who plays. Yesterday we had a problem at QB. Today that problem has been addressed.

Will Lynch be the answer? I don't know about anyone else, but I feel a helluva lot less nervous than I would feel if my team had moved up to get the 1st Pick, and then Drafted Goff.

If we've learned anything about QBs being Drafted in the NFL, it's all a crap-shoot. Draft experts and gurus are consistently wrong about 1st Round QBs. Look at Vince Young, Sam Bradford, Jamarcus Russell, Joey Harrington, Matt Leinart, Brandon Weeden, Brady Quinn, David Carr, Byron Leftwich, ................ OUR Tim Tebow, ...............ad infinitum. There are NO certainties.

Elway did his job. He spent a 1st Round pick on the most important position in the NFL by moving up to get a guy that the so-called "Experts" said would go before we could possibly get a shot at him. A guy who some say in 5 years will be the premier QB from the 2016 Draft. And all we gave up to make the move was a 3rd Round Pick. Now it's up to the "Football Gods" to determine if Lynch was the right pick.

It appears that as GM, Elway has the same "it" that he had as QB. It seems like things just fall into place in a manner that insures our teams success. I love what we did yesterday.

Comment

• Lynch was/is a great pick for our team. I agree with others that say that I feel a whole lot better taking him where we did for a 3rd round pick (end of the round and we have an extra comp pick there) then betting the farm with several picks over the next few years to get Goff or Wentz. There is nothing tangible that leads me to believe that Lynch is not the best of the 3 and many teams are reported to have been trying to trade up for him.

He is much closer to NFL ready than Brock was - Paxton was a 1st round talent, that many were saying could have been #1 overall until his late season collapse (Kiper had him as the #2 prospect in November!). Let's remember that his coaching staff left late season and he played the bowl game with a new HC and play caller. He turned a terrible program into a decent team - showing leadership. I doubt any Memphis player gets drafted this year or next - not much talent around him, and he still rose up.

Great pick - let's give him a few years and I think we have a top 5 QB in the league.

Comment

• Lulz at people thinking Sanchez will ride out the year as starter. Like it or not, Lynch will play major games this season. This isn't a Favre-Rodgers deal. Therein lies the risk with Paxton.

Comment

• Originally posted by DishWater View Post
            Lulz at people thinking Sanchez will ride out the year as starter. Like it or not, Lynch will play major games this season. This isn't a Favre-Rodgers deal. Therein lies the risk with Paxton.
            This could be like the Kyle Orton/Tim Tebow situation, it's all dependent on how well Sanchez plays.

Comment

Lulz at people thinking Sanchez will ride out the year as starter. Like it or not, Lynch will play major games this season. This isn't a Favre-Rodgers deal. Therein lies the risk with Paxton.
              It's not about how good Sanchez is or is not. It's will Lynch be ready? If he's not ready, you don't throw him out there just because Sanchez sucks. That's how you ruin a QB.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                This could be like the Kyle Orton/Tim Tebow situation, it's all dependent on how well Sanchez plays.
                Yep. I could even see a true 2QB system implemented this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                  It's not about how good Sanchez is or is not. It's will Lynch be ready? If he's not ready, you don't throw him out there just because Sanchez sucks. That's how you ruin a QB.
                  True story. But what other choice do we have? Pull a 76ers and tank it to protect developmental players? Nah. Elway will gamble.

Comment

• NFL Network said Lynch has never taken a snap from under center (not sure if they mean this year...college career or qb career). He needs to learn the footwork and timing of a 5 step and 7 step drop.

Also said he has a hard time reading entire field. This may be his biggest obstacle.

The kid has work to do or else he would have never made it to late part of the round.

I do not think there is any chance he plays this year unless miracles happen in his development between now and the regular season.

I support the pick just hope Bronco fans keep expectations realistic
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                      The only slight I have heard about Lynch is that he is not very bright. Scored an 18 on the wonderlick test and some scouts reported that he tends to fade out mentally.

That could be an issue trying to learn the playbook. Maybe Latimer and Lynch should get together and study extra hard so they can get the playbook down. Or maybe we can get Manning as a consultant to teach the young buck how to prepare and study.
                      The wonderlic scores are useless ... there are a ton of NFL Stars who have scored low on the wonderlic, it means nothing in reality.

Terry Bradshaw - 15
                      Jim Kelly - 15
                      Randall Cunningham - 15
                      Dan Marino - 16
                      Donovan McNabb - 14
                      Ray Lewis - 13
                      Eddie George - 14
                      Khalil Mack - 17
                      Marvin Harrison - 18
                      Dante Culpepper - 18
                      Jared Allen - 18
                      sigpic

Comment

True story. But what other choice do we have? Pull a 76ers and tank it to protect developmental players? Nah. Elway will gamble.
                        Or roll with Sanchez (vomit) knowing that our defense is good enough to carry us and give the kid a season. Even if we roll with sanchez we aren't going to be bad enough to "tank" Unless Lynch turns out to be amazing and ends up more than capable to grasp the system and be ready this year. Don't ruin his future seasons for the sake of one single season.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                          NFL Network said Lynch has never taken a snap from under center (not sure if they mean this year...college career or qb career). He needs to learn the footwork and timing of a 5 step and 7 step drop.

Also said he has a hard time reading entire field. This may be his biggest obstacle.

The kid has work to do or else he would have never made it to late part of the round.

I do not think there is any chance he plays this year unless miracles happen in his development between now and the regular season.

I am with you on this. Lets not let "expect to see him start soon" replace learning curve. I am not expecting him to play, at least not til late in the season. He needs time, and rushing this project is foolish. And lets not assume he can pick everything up much faster than everyone else. That's not fair to him or our team.

Comment

Elway doesn't call those shots on the field, Kubiak does, and he will put the best-prepared option out there. If Sanchez goes down, that may be Siemian who has a full year with the playbook and working with the receivers over Lynch.

And Elway stated yesterday that they are still looking to sign another veteran QB so you can factor that possibility in too.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                              NFL Network said Lynch has never taken a snap from under center (not sure if they mean this year...college career or qb career). He needs to learn the footwork and timing of a 5 step and 7 step drop.

That's not what Kubiak said at the presser yesterday.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                                It's not about who he has to beat out...Sanchez sucks, the problem is you start a rookie before he's ready, you can stunt his development and risk damaging his confidence.
                                You and others keep saying this, but I'm not sure there's much historical data to back it up. Can you give some examples?

Comment

Working...
                                X