joe mixon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    I was hoping his off the field incident would make him almost undraftable and we could swope in during the 6th with a steal but his value is getting closer and closer to what it was prior to the video.
    Yeah, I tend to agree.

I have no problem taking the guy. And this comes from a guy who can be pretty self-righteous in terms of the team I follow. We gave a guy coming off a 4-game drug suspension a big 4-year extension while letting another player (Malik Jackson), who had no issues causing a suspension, to walk. We have some major DUI issues, drug related issues, and domestic violence issues from player, coach, and ownership positions. We have a guy on the team who likely shot himself in the keester.

LeGarrette Blount had some assault issues at Oregon that got him booted off of the team, and I was praying we would get our hands on him when he went Undrafted. Unfortunately, the Patriots got that guy. And he has been pretty good for them. We took DT over Dez Bryant, for "character" reasons. Frankly, I'd rather have Dez Bryant.

I would guess that if I knew everything there was to know about Ownership, Front Office, Coaches, and Players transgressions, I would be pretty surprised and upset. But then again, I am no angel. And neither are these guys. So, when I'm feeling self-righteous, I remind myself of those things.

If you want angels this is the wrong sport to follow.
    Last edited by gtown53; 01-20-2017, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      Was Ray Rice right as well then? His wife did attack him...

200+ pound dudes can walk away, especially when they're in high profile positions, swinging at someone, anyone in this situation, isn't the right decision.
      I agree, he should've taken the high road and just walked away. We all saw Brock Osweiler get shoved from behind by another man. Brock Osweiler towered over the guy and could have retaliated but he chose not to and walked away.

Comment

The NFL did not invite Joe Mixon to the draft combine, it'll be interesting to see if any NFL teams invite him for a pre draft visit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ra-to-combine/

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          The NFL did not invite Joe Mixon to the draft combine, it'll be interesting to see if any NFL teams invite him for a pre draft visit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ra-to-combine/
          I'd be shocked if no one did...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
            I'd be shocked if no one did...
            http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/02/n...ps-senior-bowl

Oh he will definitely get called in for interviews. His tape will speak for itself. Talent and production wise he's on part with Fournette and cook. IF a team sees this asite a one time incident by a kid who had literally just turned 18 and was never taught how to handle the situation he was in, then he goes 3rd round. If he bombs his interview then he go UDFA. I don't think there is an in between with him right now
            I need more Oline, please and thank you

Comment

You know what's sad? Tyreek Hill. He beat up a pregnant woman (his girlfriend). But, there was no video, so he gets to play.

If I remember right, Mixon WANTED the video released. Because this girl he knocked out wasn't 100% innocent. He made a mistake, but she did too. She's not some little innocent victim in this whole thing. She was being nasty, she assaulted him, and he responded with excessive force.

Watch this KID who made a huge mistake and was remorseful have this incident follow him for the rest of his life. And this little girl gets to play victim for her entire life like she did nothing wrong.

Then watch Tyreek Hill be absolutely worshipped because there's NO video.

I'll take Mixon over Hill every day of the week. Why? Because 1) he was provoked, and 2) He made a split second mistake, 3) He was actually VERY remorseful. Beating up your pregnant girlfriend isn't a "mistake" its a disgusting crime in which he shouldn't ever have had a shot at the NFL. At least not over Mixon.

http://newsok.com/article/5531208 Read this article.

Did he make a mistake? Absolutely. Is he guilty? Absolutely Is this girl a victim? Maybe of her own stupidity & ignorance. Want to be treated like a lady? Act like one. She could have walked away too.

With all that said, I don't really want him with Denver. Because I don't want to listen to all of the over dramatic "outrage" for the next few years by the media & our fans. He'd do better in a place like New England with a coach like Belicheck who has his fan bases ultimate respect and loyalty. Mixon is not what Vance Joseph needs on his plate as a rookie head coach.
              Last edited by Botan; 02-05-2017, 04:11 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                Sorry, this idea is just ridiculous and I'll add this is coming from a Californian, though that should not matter.

The issue goes beyond the act itself but what people are willing to tolerate simply because where someone grew up. He may have grown up in a bad environment, maybe even the worst. That could possibly explain some of his actions but it does not excuse it.

That is a slippery slope. Take it to its logical end, a set of different standards for what is acceptable behavior for done versus others.

Regardless whether he comes out for the draft or not he needs to go the Ray Rice route. What he did came out publicly. He'd be wise, if he's serious about his apology, to have a public part to his rehab.
                So, you're also advocating there isn't a different set of standards for women too then, correct? Or would you just blindly excuse the girl's actions? Her hitting him is just fine because he's male and "he can take it" right? She's 100% a victim? I mean, if we're talking about holding everyone to the same standards here, regardless of background, gender etc, she should be held to the same standard also and be charged with assault. Just because it doesn't hurt as bad, doesn't mean she didn't shove, then slap him. Furthermore, do you think he'd be treated the same way if she was a male?
                Last edited by Botan; 02-05-2017, 04:31 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Botan View Post
                  So, you're also advocating there isn't a different set of standards for women too then, correct? Or would you just blindly excuse the girl's actions? Her hitting him is just fine because he's male and "he can take it" right? She's 100% a victim? I mean, if we're talking about holding everyone to the same standards here, regardless of background, gender etc, she should be held to the same standard also and be charged with assault. Just because it doesn't hurt as bad, doesn't mean she didn't shove, then slap him. Furthermore, do you think he'd be treated the same way if she was a male?
                  You're right. There shouldn't be a double standard. What you're not getting however is that teams in the NFL are not considering hiring her, they are considering hiring him. Therefore, her behavior really doesn't matter. Only his behavior matters.

If teams were considering hiring her, then her behavior could and should be called into question. But they're not. So, her behavior is really irrelevant at this point. His behavior is relevant because he's the one that is being considered for hire. I'm not sure why people don't understand this.
                  Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Apparently you didn't see the video. And if you did you would see Mixon enter the establishment and confront the 2 people. We don't know what was said but we know it was enough to cause 2 people to get physical. Not saying she's innocent but #1 he confronted them , #2 when things got escalated he stood right there and did not try and de escalate the situation. Remind yourself that it was he who's actions allowed this to take place . It's common sense , he has every right to protect and defend himself but he went over the top and his force was excessive. Had he just pushed her away and walked out we wouldn't be dissecting this situation. He pleaded guilty because the video speaks for it self . Ask yourself this . If he was your son would you be proud of the way he handled this situation. Had he of been in the right the Lawyers would of fought it and won .

Comment

He is definitely getting drafted. Way too much talent not to get drafted. Definitely a first round talent and if not for the off the field issue might even be the 2nd running back taken. Plenty of teams will want him its just a matter of how far someone is willing to let him fall before taking him. I think every team may pass in the first two rounds. But once the third one hits somebody might pull the trigger in fear that he wont be there in the next round. We have multiple thirds I think, I hope we pull the trigger in the third. Nothing indicates he is a bad teammate or a locker room cancer or uncoachable. Nothing out there questions his work ethic. Its not like he runs around town socking random women it was a one off situation. He is arguably the most complete back coming out this year.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                        You're right. There shouldn't be a double standard. What you're not getting however is that teams in the NFL are not considering hiring her, they are considering hiring him. Therefore, her behavior really doesn't matter. Only his behavior matters.

If teams were considering hiring her, then her behavior could and should be called into question. But they're not. So, her behavior is really irrelevant at this point. His behavior is relevant because he's the one that is being considered for hire. I'm not sure why people don't understand this.
                        You are so wrong here. That's why people don't understand this. Her behavior is absolutely relevant. If you want NFL teams to look at one side of the story, and discount any notion that he was provoked and assaulted first then you're insane. He didn't just walk in, knock her out, and walk out. She assaulted him. There's no way around it. I hate that I have to sit here and also say "What he did was still wrong" because there shouldn't be any doubt in that. But to say that her behavior in regards to Mixon's actions don't have relevance because she's not being drafted, is unfair to Mixon and just quite frankly so black and white (pun not intended). Life doesn't work this way.

It's like saying "Oh your child was being kidnapped and you shot and killed this guy? Well it doesn't matter WHY you shot him. Just that you did, so you're going to jail for murder" Its an extreme example in comparison to what we're talking about. But in this case, the NFL is the court system in Mixon getting drafted. And you want them to just leave out the fact that she was slinging racial slurs, and she physically assaulted him? Its an incomplete way of thinking. That isn't to say he still shouldn't go undrafted, or be on thin ice. Its purely just to say, look at the entire story and not just his huge 1 second mistake.
                        Last edited by Botan; 02-05-2017, 11:02 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                          Apparently you didn't see the video. And if you did you would see Mixon enter the establishment and confront the 2 people. We don't know what was said but we know it was enough to cause 2 people to get physical. Not saying she's innocent but #1 he confronted them , #2 when things got escalated he stood right there and did not try and de escalate the situation. Remind yourself that it was he who's actions allowed this to take place . It's common sense , he has every right to protect and defend himself but he went over the top and his force was excessive. Had he just pushed her away and walked out we wouldn't be dissecting this situation. He pleaded guilty because the video speaks for it self . Ask yourself this . If he was your son would you be proud of the way he handled this situation. Had he of been in the right the Lawyers would of fought it and won .
                          I absolutely did see the video. To answer your question if this was my son, my reaction would be 100% the same as it is now. I'd be embarrassed and ashamed, he was 1) so stupid and 2) used excessive force on somebody with 1/2 his physical ability at best. He walked in, when he could have not. He didn't walk away when he could have. He swung, when he could have pushed her away and walked out. I'd be so po'd at him. On the other hand, I'd be calling for her to be arrested and charged also. 100%. But she wasn't, she's been treated like a victim and like she did no wrong. And she was absolutely in the wrong here too.

My complaint isn't that he got charged. It's this notion that her slapping him and shoving him (which was the first physical contact by either side, by the way) was "okay" in the eyes of society and the court system because 1) she's a female and 2) she got knocked out.

The lawyers don't have a case because in the eyes of society she's this helpless victim. He's a strong, male football star who "should know better" and she's a "helpless" female. In a blind justice system, what she did should be considered assault. It shouldn't make any difference if she ended up in the hospital, she should have been charged ALSO.
                          Last edited by Botan; 02-05-2017, 10:57 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

You are so wrong here. That's why people don't understand this. Her behavior is absolutely relevant. If you want NFL teams to look at one side of the story, and discount any notion that he was provoked and assaulted first then you're insane. He didn't just walk in, knock her out, and walk out. She assaulted him. There's no way around it. I hate that I have to sit here and also say "What he did was still wrong" because there shouldn't be any doubt in that. But to say that her behavior in regards to Mixon's actions don't have relevance because she's not being drafted, is unfair to Mixon and just quite frankly so black and white (pun not intended). Life doesn't work this way.

It's like saying "Oh your child was being kidnapped and you shot and killed this guy? Well it doesn't matter WHY you shot him. Just that you did, so you're going to jail for murder" Its an extreme example in comparison to what we're talking about. But in this case, the NFL is the court system in Mixon getting drafted. And you want them to just leave out the fact that she was slinging racial slurs, and she physically assaulted him? Its an incomplete way of thinking. That isn't to say he still shouldn't go undrafted, or be on thin ice. Its purely just to say, look at the entire story and not just his huge 1 second mistake.
                            Like I said, there shouldn't be double standards. What she did was absolutely wrong. But I guarantee you, those teams who are thinking about hiring him are most likely not going to be caring all that much about what she did. They're going to be caring about what he did.

I don't like what she did either. It was wrong. And if we were debating the moral issue of domestic violence, then let's debate it. But we aren't. We are debating whether teams will consider hiring him and what they are going to be considering and taking into account, if they do. I guarantee you that most teams aren't going to be sitting there debating her actions, they're going to be examining his. Perhaps they should, like you want, but my guess is they're most likely not.

And as you said in the previous post, they're probably going to be looking at these decisions by him....he was 1) so stupid and 2) used excessive force on somebody with 1/2 his physical ability at best. He walked in, when he could have not. He didn't walk away when he could have. He swung, when he could have pushed her away and walked out.

And then those teams considering whether to draft him or not might be wondering why he didn't do any of those things you outlined, irrespective of what she did. See, they're going to be looking at HIS decision making, HIS behavior, more so than hers.

Maybe he's grown up since then. Maybe he's changed since then and will have a good answer to those questions as to why he didn't do any of those things you brought up. But all those decisions you so eloquently brought up and all those behaviors you outlined WERE HIS, and had NOTHING to do with her. They were HIS choices. He could have done all the things you suggested but he didn't. That's what they'll be looking at and what I mean when I say, her behavior is irrelevant.

And please stop calling people insane when they disagree with you. No bueno.
                            Last edited by broncoslover115; 02-05-2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                              Like I said, there shouldn't be double standards. What she did was absolutely wrong. But I guarantee you, those teams who are thinking about hiring him are most likely not going to be caring all that much about what she did. They're going to be caring about what he did.

I don't like what she did either. It was wrong. And if we were debating the moral issue of domestic violence, then let's debate it. But we aren't. We are debating whether teams will consider hiring him and what they are going to be considering and taking into account, if they do. I guarantee you that most teams aren't going to be sitting there debating her actions, they're going to be examining his. Perhaps they should, like you want, but my guess is they're most likely not.

And as you said in the previous post, they're probably going to be looking at these decisions by him....he was 1) so stupid and 2) used excessive force on somebody with 1/2 his physical ability at best. He walked in, when he could have not. He didn't walk away when he could have. He swung, when he could have pushed her away and walked out.

And then those teams considering whether to draft him or not might be wondering why he didn't do any of those things you outlined, irrespective of what she did. See, they're going to be looking at HIS decision making, HIS behavior, more so than hers.

Maybe he's grown up since then. Maybe he's changed since then and will have a good answer to those questions as to why he didn't do any of those things you brought up. But all those decisions you so eloquently brought up and all those behaviors you outlined WERE HIS, and had NOTHING to do with her. They were HIS choices. He could have done all the things you suggested but he didn't. That's what they'll be looking at and what I mean when I say, her behavior is irrelevant.

And please stop calling people insane when they disagree with you. No bueno.
                              But her behavior IS relevant, no matter what you say. Because if he would have gone in there and knocked her out and she had done absolutely NOTHING to him, I doubt we're having this conversation, and quite frankly I doubt he plays another year at OSU. NFL teams should not and will not just look at ONE side of the story. Doesn't mean they're going to still believe he's worth drafting. Why do you think the Giants took time to act on Josh Brown? Because they wanted to gather the facts and see both sides of the story. They considered the entire thing, and decided he wasn't worth having on the team.

The fact she wasn't charged may be LESS relevant to them, but the fact that she clearly provoked him through assaulting him first is something certainly teams will look at.
                              Last edited by Botan; 02-05-2017, 01:31 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

But her behavior IS relevant, no matter what you say. Because if he would have gone in there and knocked her out and she had done absolutely NOTHING to him, I doubt we're having this conversation, and quite frankly I doubt he plays another year at OSU. NFL teams should not and will not just look at ONE side of the story. Doesn't mean they're going to still believe he's worth drafting. Why do you think the Giants took time to act on Josh Brown? Because they wanted to gather the facts and see both sides of the story. They considered the entire thing, and decided he wasn't worth having on the team.

The fact she wasn't charged may be LESS relevant to them, but the fact that she clearly provoked him through assaulting him first is something certainly teams will look at.
                                OK

10 char

Comment

Working...
                                X