Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential Cuts this offseason to look for.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Talib is also a difficult personality to manage. If there was as much of a divided locker room this year as people have speculated, Elway might decide to clear out the instigators.
    IMO that is the only reason Talib would be traded or released. He is a dominant player at his position.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      Aqib Talib is under contract through 2019. I doubt if he will be released or traded this year. After that, we'll just need to wait and see.

T.J. Ward is under contract this year at the same salary as last. I doubt if he will be traded or released this year, but Denver may choose to let him go in free agency in 2018.

Denver will probably decline to exercise their option on Russell Okung. To do so would be expensive for a player who did not play up to expectations. Other less expensive options will be exercised instead.

Donald Stephenson will probably be released IMO. He has no technique, especially in pass protection. Too bad it will affect the cap.

It will be interesting to see what Denver does with the W boys: Ware; Williams; Walker; Webster; Watson; and, Winn as they are all UFAs.

Norwood's name doesn't start with W, so he will probably not be re-signed mostly because Denver already has six other receivers. Speaking of receivers, Marlon Brown is a UFA this year.

Justin Forsett is also a UFA who probably won't be re-signed.

McManus, Brenner and Davis are RFAs this year. Brenner might not be tendered, but the other two will.

Denver has Paradis, Barrett, Bibbs, Fowler, Ferentz, Kreiter, Taylor, Anderson, Gause and Nixon as ERFAs. They will probably all be back for TC.

C.J. Anderson's salary is half in 2017 than what it was in 2016, so if he rehabs well, I would expect him to be back for TC anyway.

Ty Sambrailo needs to take up residence in the weight room, or he might not make the cut if there is an influx of O-Linemen in draft/free agency.

Whether or not Denver's 2017 offense needs a Fullback remains to be seen. If the offense needs one and FB prospects come to TC, Juwan Thompson will be on the bubble for sure.
      Good write-up, i think Brown signed a 2-yr deal.

Stephenson doesnt hurt the cap that much, 3 mil savings, 2 in dead money.

Okung will be interesting, but hard to argue he didnt show he was worth 10-11+ a year.

Comment

Aqib Talib is under contract through 2019. I doubt if he will be released or traded this year. After that, we'll just need to wait and see.

T.J. Ward is under contract this year at the same salary as last. I doubt if he will be traded or released this year, but Denver may choose to let him go in free agency in 2018.

Denver will probably decline to exercise their option on Russell Okung. To do so would be expensive for a player who did not play up to expectations. Other less expensive options will be exercised instead.

Donald Stephenson will probably be released IMO. He has no technique, especially in pass protection. Too bad it will affect the cap.

It will be interesting to see what Denver does with the W boys: Ware; Williams; Walker; Webster; Watson; and, Winn as they are all UFAs.

Norwood's name doesn't start with W, so he will probably not be re-signed mostly because Denver already has six other receivers. Speaking of receivers, Marlon Brown is a UFA this year.

Justin Forsett is also a UFA who probably won't be re-signed.

McManus, Brenner and Davis are RFAs this year. Brenner might not be tendered, but the other two will.

Denver has Paradis, Barrett, Bibbs, Fowler, Ferentz, Kreiter, Taylor, Anderson, Gause and Nixon as ERFAs. They will probably all be back for TC.

C.J. Anderson's salary is half in 2017 than what it was in 2016, so if he rehabs well, I would expect him to be back for TC anyway.

Ty Sambrailo needs to take up residence in the weight room, or he might not make the cut if there is an influx of O-Linemen in draft/free agency.

Whether or not Denver's 2017 offense needs a Fullback remains to be seen. If the offense needs one and FB prospects come to TC, Juwan Thompson will be on the bubble for sure.
        I don't think things look good for Sambrailo, but I also think our coaching staff didn't have any success developing olineman. Maybe he gets another chance with Schofield, McGovern and Garcia.

Even if we don't keep a fullback, I would hope that Janovich stays. He's a good pass catcher and blocker. I would think there's a place for him here even if he's not a traditional halfback. Thompson would be the odd man out in that situation too imo. It would be hard to stick around behind CJ, Bibbs and Janovich.
        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
        sigpic

Comment

I no longer wanna see Okung, Stephenson, and Norwood in orange and blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
            If it was truly that bad, I'd expect more offensive players to be on the way out. Iirc, Talib told Okung to sit down and shut up after he stood up to say something after we basically got eliminated after a bad loss. Or maybe it was Stephenson but both of those guys had a terrible game.

Imo Talib represents the kicking and screaming mentality that I'm sure Elway still wants to keep around. He wants to win. He may not be the smartest guy but Elway played with guys like Romanowski too and understands their value. Talib leaving would just be a big surprise to me.
            There's a difference between kicking and screaming and being a cancer in the locker room. Now IN NO WAY am I accusing Talib of being a cancer, I wasn't there, so I have no idea what happened. Okung and Stephenson will be gone, but there will still be several offensive players left next year, what happens if they start slow again? Does the rift open right back up? What if the offense is strong and the defense is awful next year? Does the offense then start ripping into the D?

Again I have no idea what happened, nor who was involved. But if there is someone, whoever it is, who is a locker room cancer, Elway needs to fix that.

Comment

IMO that is the only reason Talib would be traded or released. He is a dominant player at his position.
              Agreed. And I don't think there's any chance Talib is released, I think he'd be traded if that were the case.

Comment

There's a difference between kicking and screaming and being a cancer in the locker room. Now IN NO WAY am I accusing Talib of being a cancer, I wasn't there, so I have no idea what happened. Okung and Stephenson will be gone, but there will still be several offensive players left next year, what happens if they start slow again? Does the rift open right back up? What if the offense is strong and the defense is awful next year? Does the offense then start ripping into the D?

Again I have no idea what happened, nor who was involved. But if there is someone, whoever it is, who is a locker room cancer, Elway needs to fix that.
                Why should there not be a rift? The defense has held our opponents to a league low point per game for two years in a row if memory serves and in those same two years our offense ranked near the bottom quarter of the league give or take 1 or two spots. Add onto that the facts that we missed the playoffs and as a defensive teammate I'd be freaking livid. At the end of the day it could be soundly argued that our defense handed our offense underhand lobs all season and they still messed it up.

As for what Elway needs to fix...it's the OLINE and a few coaches ( likely to fix itself with a new regime coming in). Also our TE'S could use a bit of polish.

Comment

Just say no to cutting Talib. He's part of what makes our secondary the best in the NFL.
                  Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                    Why should there not be a rift? The defense has held our opponents to a league low point per game for two years in a row if memory serves and in those same two years our offense ranked near the bottom quarter of the league give or take 1 or two spots. Add onto that the facts that we missed the playoffs and as a defensive teammate I'd be freaking livid. At the end of the day it could be soundly argued that our defense handed our offense underhand lobs all season and they still messed it up.

As for what Elway needs to fix...it's the OLINE and a few coaches ( likely to fix itself with a new regime coming in). Also our TE'S could use a bit of polish.
                    Everyone as to be pulling the same direction. It's the Broncos v the world. Not the O v the D. If the locker room is toxic then it doesn't matter what Elway does this offseason, the odds are the team will be unsuccessful next year. Whether the D has the right to be upset or not doesn't matter, you have to have everyone working together.

If they don't get the locker room fixed they'll be the 02 Bucs, and then the 03 Bucs, and then the 04 Bucs, and so on...

Comment

Here's another good example of why you need to fix a toxic locker room, it chases players away. It's one player, but he turned down a bigger contract to get away from Washington.

In Keenan Robinson’s experience, reports of dissension in the Redskins’ locker room likely aren’t exaggerated. Heading into Sunday’s game against the Giants with two losses to open the season, the …

Comment

Stephenson
                        Tj ward
                        Virgil green.

The cutting of those 3 free up enough money to sign on big time free agent lineman on either side if the ball.

Stephenson for obvious reasons green because he is simply not worth over 3 mill. When have you ever found yourself sayin "Virgil green was the difference maker that game"? Then you have tj which may be unpopular but he has fallen off. Cant cover and misses more tackles than he makes sometimes. Parks and Simmons are playing way too good going into the off season to not expand their role. Let them battle it out for #1 and bring back bruton as a backup.

Under no circumstances will talib be cut since we don't have anything near his talent level to replace him and with his contract there are almost a dozen higher paid cornerbacks and out of those 12 only 2 are a weak debate as being better.

Comment

Cutting Ward and Talib is crazy...

Will.

Not.

Happen.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                            Just say no to cutting Talib. He's part of what makes our secondary the best in the NFL.
                            And Ward is too...

Their cap salary is just fine, we've got plenty of cap to make some moves anyways...

The secondary isn't broke, and we're grooming young players to fill the gaps- no need to "fix it", Ward and Talib should both stay.

Comment

Tj Ward would be terrible cut. he is one of if not the hardest hitting safety in the league maybe more of a rotational guy but he is getting paid not what he should his deal has been a great thing for denver

1. Eric Berry $10.8M*
                              2. Harrison Smith $10.3M
                              3. Earl Thomas $10.0M
                              4. Devin McCourty $9.5M
                              5. Jairus Byrd $9.0M

way lower then the top dogs. the fact byrd makes 3.25 million more a year is insanity
                              sigpic
                              oakland raders gm
                              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Everyone as to be pulling the same direction. It's the Broncos v the world. Not the O v the D. If the locker room is toxic then it doesn't matter what Elway does this offseason, the odds are the team will be unsuccessful next year. Whether the D has the right to be upset or not doesn't matter, you have to have everyone working together.

If they don't get the locker room fixed they'll be the 02 Bucs, and then the 03 Bucs, and then the 04 Bucs, and so on...
                                See and perhaps this is where I differ. So long as the defensive effort continues I don't see the rift impacting the singular direction of the team...which should be to win the next game.

Comment

Working...
                                X