Brandon Marshall (WR) to be cut.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon Marshall (WR) to be cut.

Default Would you welcome back Brandon Marshall (WR) to the Broncos?
    Reports on Twitter and various websites are stating that Marshall expects to be released from the NY Jets. He is getting up there in age, but has been a productive WR during his career in the NFL. Would you be welcome him back to Denver? One of his biggest regrets (allegedly) was leaving.

View image on Twitter
    View image on Twitter
    Follow
    120 Sports ✔ @120Sports
    Brandon Marshall is expected to be released by the @nyjets, according to @RichCimini
    12:30 PM - 18 Jan 2017
    297 297 Retweets 195 195 likes

Thoughts?

I would sign him and trade DT in a heart beat.

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
      I would sign him and trade DT in a heart beat.
      Stole the words out of my mouth. Marshall needed to do a lot of growing up while he was in Denver. Since he left, he has done much of that. Marshall was always great about fighting for both the ball and for precious yards after the catch. These days, Thomas isn't doing much of either of those two things and is getting a huge payday regardless. I continue to feel like we could be getting a lot more value for our money instead of keeping DT on our roster. In my opinion, Sanders should be the one with the big paycheck.
      sigpic

For the sake of the mods, please don't report my sig anymore. They have said it does not violate the Code of Conduct. Thanks!

Comment

One of my favorite broncos of all time. Alot of memorable moments and games with Marshall. With that said we cannot afford to cut either DT or sanders (dead money) and we cannot afford to invest another dime into our receivers. There are plenty of teams that don't have a receiver better than him so expect him to sign for big money.

Comment

I would sign him in a second. He would go opposite DT and move Sanders into the slot where he would be a mismatch. Marshall would also be another mentor to DT. Marshall figured it all out after he left Denver. He has greatly matured. DT is a young Marshall and can learn a lot from Marshall. I would imagine Marshall wants no part of Denver though after what he went through with Williams. Although I could also see him using this part of his career as closure to such a bad time in both his life and career.
          Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
            One of my favorite broncos of all time. Alot of memorable moments and games with Marshall. With that said we cannot afford to cut either DT or sanders (dead money) and we cannot afford to invest another dime into our receivers. There are plenty of teams that don't have a receiver better than him so expect him to sign for big money.
            I can see the Pats, Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers going after him. If we can block them it's better for us.

Comment

I would love to have BMarsh back, but it becomes a value for money deal. He is so much better than DT as a target in traffic, but he dose not have the same explosiveness.

In the end our offense probably needs o-line, RB and TE more.

A question tough is how BMarsh actually does in a team now. I totally agreed on McD saying that BMarsh was not worth 2 elite draft picks and one of the highest receiver contracts for a locker room cancer. When I hear BMarsh speak I get warm and fuzzy - he seems so mature - but then why did the Bears and the Jets not want him?

Comment

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
                I would sign him in a second. He would go opposite DT and move Sanders into the slot where he would be a mismatch. Marshall would also be another mentor to DT. Marshall figured it all out after he left Denver. He has greatly matured. DT is a young Marshall and can learn a lot from Marshall. I would imagine Marshall wants no part of Denver though after what he went through with Williams. Although I could also see him using this part of his career as closure to such a bad time in both his life and career.
                How is DT a young Marshall?

Unlike Marshall, DT is a mature young man who has had no issues with the law. His mother on the other hand has had her issues with drugs, prison, and the law. But DT has stayed true to himself and has stayed out of trouble while avoiding those issues of his mother, and has done nicely for himself as a professional football player.

Comment

Right now, I'd say this is not the priority with the offense, just a shiny thing.

The offensive line needs to be rebuilt. It cannot be done solely through the draft as O-Linemen, on average take time to develop and quite often aren't starting material straight out of university. Switching to a more traditional power scheme will require a different skill set and more bulk and I expect us to find at least two players in FA to fill needs.

On defense the line will need attention. Whether we stay in the hybrid 3-4 or go back to the almost identical 4-3 may not make too much difference unless it's a change from a spill to gap, then we need to bolster up at WLB or MLB. Walker is a question I have not seen a clear answer to.

QB evaluation will be a big thing this off-season. McCoy will likely want to run a more QB friendly offense but the question on the table is whether they will want to bring in a vet (not named Sanchez). If they do, there is a good chance that will eat up some funds.

Rushing. We forgot football incorporates a lot of rushing this past season. Major priority, though I don't see any big changes here beyond more camp bodies at TC letting the RB corps fight it out for who gets on the roster.

There are 38 players under contract for this coming season. This makes 15 positions that need to be filled. There will be some shuffling as always but WR is not a position that needs a change.

So, DT for Marshall. DT cap number is $12 million. The best case scenario, cap wise, is we trade him. We save $1.43 million and take a cap hit of $10.6 million. Cutting DT pre / post June 1 gets even worst. Not going to happen.

Signing Marshall, keeping DT could be nice, but I don't think the FO would want so much money tied up in the WR corps: DT at $12 mill, Sanders at $9.5 million, and Marshall $7.5 (current salary if he remains with the Jets).

The Jets having nothing to lost in their salary cap in cutting or trading Marshall any time this off season. He might come on a more friendly salary but I wouldn't expect anything less than $6 million at the very least (him taking a generous cut). That would mean we'd potentially have a minimum of $27 million tied up with three receivers, two of them #1, when there are big needs elsewhere.

Even at this point if DT is somewhat of a liability he still put up, un-spectacularly, over 1000 yards in our lackluster offense. He could have fought for more and certainly should have caught more passes. Revitalizing the offense, especially with a rushing attack that can give balance to the offense, ought to help the QB and WRs.

Marshall is a fighter and people want to see more of that spirit, especially from a more reserved guy like DT. That's understandable. I'm of the opinion that it could be a good move but it doesn't make sense with everything else right now.

Comment

I like Marshall as receiver and respect him even more for how he's grown up.

Broncos signed Marlon Brown to a 2 year deal. If he stays healthy he gives the offense another option if needed.

We need a slot receiver like Cole Beasley. Dak Prescott had help from the line and Beasley was key to his success. Austin Carr out of Northwestern comes to mind.

Comment

Id love to have Marshall back. Fact is though is that DT and Sanders arent going anywhere. Theoretically, we could have all 3 with DT and Marshall on the outside and Sanders in the slot, but that would be a luxury thats not neccesary when you consider the cost of it, plus drafting McCaffrey is a real possibility and he would be the slot guy.

We could always trade or cut DT, but cutting him would save us nothing this next season and would include a $12 Mil dead money hit. Marshall is going to be 33 coming next season, and while 33 for a WR isnt the same as 33 for a RB, replacing a 29 year old receiver with a 33 year old receiver is not the typical way to go.

With that said, Id love for there to be a way to bring him back. I never wanted him gone in the first place.
                      Denver Broncos
                      New York Yankees
                      New York Knicks
                      Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                        I like Marshall as receiver and respect him even more for how he's grown up.

Broncos signed Marlon Brown to a 2 year deal. If he stays healthy he gives the offense another option if needed.

We need a slot receiver like Cole Beasley. Dak Prescott had help from the line and Beasley was key to his success. Austin Carr out of Northwestern comes to mind.

Colonel Sanders could go to the slot.He played their in college and has the prototypical speed and size for slot.

Comment

We have lots of talent at WR already on the roster. I say split DT and Taylor out wide and put Sanders in slot with the other young guys getting reps to keep everyone fresh. No need to spend that money

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                            How is DT a young Marshall?

Unlike Marshall, DT is a mature young man who has had no issues with the law. His mother on the other hand has had her issues with drugs, prison, and the law. But DT has stayed true to himself and has stayed out of trouble while avoiding those issues of his mother, and has done nicely for himself as a professional football player.
                            More directed to his size and talents, and not his off field concerns. But he has had his distractions in way of his family issues. Marshall could help groom him further and that would greatly benefit him. Marshall knows how everything works from chasing money versus being successful. I think it would be good to have a fellow WR like Marshall show him the ropes and help him grow as a man and player.

Comment

I believe in second chances, God knows I have needed thousands of them. If we can afford it Brandon Marshall seems to have turned his life, and attitude around. He has been a bit abrasive in the locker room at times but I think it is because he is sick of losing and trying to stand up for inadequate QB play.

Comment

Working...
                              X