Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos hosting Earl Mitchell (NT/DT) for free agent visit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kingelway7
    replied
    Mitchell can be signed right away since he was cut; no need to wait til March 9th, right?

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    That's my take, too. A vet D-Lineman may be signed, or we could see one drafted. IDK if a good Inside Backer can be signed. Elway & Co. may draft one.

Seems like the guys the current defensive thinking wants are not the typical Inside Backers in an odd front. They seem to be more Outside Backer types moved inside. They need cover skills to go with gap control/pursuit on run D.
    Nailed it - IMO. However one of the other posters suggested that a large reason why we failed to really stop the run last season was that we didn't rotate in enough lineman on defense. While I agree rotating guys in and out allows us to keep fresh it may just be who we had at various positions. IE. did our ILBs get to their gaps fast enough? Did our NT not hold his own and have issues getting to the RB in the lane? Did our "other" DE not do what they were supposed to do?

I am not saying I have watched enough of the games back to even make a call or a decision to ANY of those questions above but I do know that each of those questions when answered yields a very different need as a team in order to correct the issue.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
    A combo of both. We need a NT and ILB.
    That's my take, too. A vet D-Lineman may be signed, or we could see one drafted. IDK if a good Inside Backer can be signed. Elway & Co. may draft one.

Seems like the guys the current defensive thinking wants are not the typical Inside Backers in an odd front. They seem to be more Outside Backer types moved inside. They need cover skills to go with gap control/pursuit on run D.

Leave a comment:

• FlowdaBroncoFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    I have heard that general comment before but if that was the case then we'd have seen a general decline in run D and the game progressed. Usually from what I recall our run D improved as we made tweaks and adjustments. Similarly earlier in the season we played mediocre teams as it relates to them running the ball. But overall we did not see a massive decline in play as the season progressed. As sad as it is to say we were just bad at run D last season...period.

So again I ask, in general do we feel the biggest need is to find a big run clogger in the middle at NT or was the bigger issue last season our MLB position and missing Danny T.
    A combo of both. We need a NT and ILB.

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by qbronco View Post
    One could argue we only routinely rotated four DL throughout the season last year opposed to six in 2015-2016. The four last season simply may have gotten more fatigued through the game, and thus, through the season.
    I have heard that general comment before but if that was the case then we'd have seen a general decline in run D and the game progressed. Usually from what I recall our run D improved as we made tweaks and adjustments. Similarly earlier in the season we played mediocre teams as it relates to them running the ball. But overall we did not see a massive decline in play as the season progressed. As sad as it is to say we were just bad at run D last season...period.

So again I ask, in general do we feel the biggest need is to find a big run clogger in the middle at NT or was the bigger issue last season our MLB position and missing Danny T.

Leave a comment:

• qbronco
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    Again with the rotation listed above and the comment here the question which needs to be addressed is if we feel the run game issues were a result of our NT being man handled or if the issues were as a result of not having the right MLBs in place. I ask this as more of an open discussion because if we feel the issues were a result of our NT being man handled then I'd be concerned with the rotations and names being thrown around above. Truth be told it's largely who we had last season.

IMO- for what it's worth we are lacking a size strength guy in the middle with an attitude.
    One could argue we only routinely rotated four DL throughout the season last year opposed to six in 2015-2016. The four last season simply may have gotten more fatigued through the game, and thus, through the season.

Leave a comment:

• SoundsOfSuccess
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    I could live with that rotation. Concerns would be sustained health of Walker and Mitchell.

Still not convinced that S. Williams is not re-signed. Or that a top 5 pick is not used on a DT to add to that list. Early round selections like Brantley, Wormley or Watkins could be in play. Or a 3rd rounder on Walker, Adams or Qualls? Not sure if they would carry seven or if one of your list gets bumped. But I see a rookie making the d-line rotation.
    I bet a NT is taken in rounds 4-7

NT is a role player in this defense. Take blocks away from Wolfe and the other DE and hold ground in the run, that's all

Leave a comment:

• SoundsOfSuccess
    replied
    Pretty ideal target tbh

Mitchell obviously has high demand but Denver has the connection, reason for him to come, and playing time opening

Fits the price for that spot I bet too

I hope we get him

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Yeah, it's definitely not sexy, just functional. I think that rotation would be relatively cheap so dollars could be spent elsewhere. Of the six, provided injuries stay minimal, Pekio could be interchanged with a rookie.
    Again with the rotation listed above and the comment here the question which needs to be addressed is if we feel the run game issues were a result of our NT being man handled or if the issues were as a result of not having the right MLBs in place. I ask this as more of an open discussion because if we feel the issues were a result of our NT being man handled then I'd be concerned with the rotations and names being thrown around above. Truth be told it's largely who we had last season.

IMO- for what it's worth we are lacking a size strength guy in the middle with an attitude.

Leave a comment:

• qbronco
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    I could live with that rotation. Concerns would be sustained health of Walker and Mitchell.

Still not convinced that S. Williams is not re-signed. Or that a top 5 pick is not used on a DT to add to that list. Early round selections like Brantley, Wormley or Watkins could be in play. Or a 3rd rounder on Walker, Adams or Qualls? Not sure if they would carry seven or if one of your list gets bumped. But I see a rookie making the d-line rotation.
    Yeah, it's definitely not sexy, just functional. I think that rotation would be relatively cheap so dollars could be spent elsewhere. Of the six, provided injuries stay minimal, Pekio could be interchanged with a rookie.

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    I don't think we are as far away as most want to believe. We need a solid 6 contributors on the DL. We could be there with the following: Crick, Gotsis, Walker, Wolfe, Mitchell, Peko

Leave a comment:

• qbronco
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Denver also needs two 1 techniques, so it would seem he's a fit there as well. Whether it's at 1 tech or 3 tech the Broncos just need more bodies and depth.
    I don't think we are as far away as most want to believe. We need a solid 6 contributors on the DL. We could be there with the following: Crick, Gotsis, Walker, Wolfe, Mitchell, Peko

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by Den615 View Post
    In Kollar's one gap 3-4 in Houston he had Mitchell line up solely as a nose tackle. I am curious why so many people assume he would think differently in Denver.
    Denver also needs two 1 techniques, so it would seem he's a fit there as well. Whether it's at 1 tech or 3 tech the Broncos just need more bodies and depth.

Leave a comment:

• Den615
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Has he played 3 tech? Cause that's the DE they're trying to fill. And as a 1 gap it's not like playing an old school 3-4, not even close to that. If he's played 3 tech in a defense he can play in Denver's defense.
    In Kollar's one gap 3-4 in Houston he had Mitchell line up solely as a nose tackle. I am curious why so many people assume he would think differently in Denver.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by Den615 View Post
    I saw the article. Thats all well and good, but Mitchell has never played 3-4 defensive end in the NFL. I wish Klis would give more more of an explanation.
    Has he played 3 tech? Cause that's the DE they're trying to fill. And as a 1 gap it's not like playing an old school 3-4, not even close to that. If he's played 3 tech in a defense he can play in Denver's defense.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X