Malik McDowell anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malik McDowell anyone?

Let me preface this by saying I had a chance to watch three of his games on YouTube, so that clearly makes me an expert with a valid foundation for my opinion

Assuming we address out OL issues in FA, I'm gonna go ahead and put McDowell on my 1st round wishlist. I think he has the same type of buzz that Nkemdiche had last year but I don't think he has quiet the baggage, and I trust our locker room and staff.

Let the criticism begin...

The only issue I have is that he seems like a project. Last year we spent our first and second round pick on players that were projects and were not able to have an impact on the field and probably wont have an impact year 2. Our first 2 picks this year NEED to be day 1 contributors.

The good news is he has the makings of player that falls in the draft. He could be available when we pick 2nd. But if we didn't draft gotsis last year I would feel alot better about drafting Malik this year.

Comment

He is tall like 6'5 and played around 270 pounds. When I watched him, he looked out of position as an interior d-lineman. He is built like a 4-3 defensive end. There is no way I can see him playing DT or 3-4 DE in the NFL. He would have to add 30 pounds, keep it through the season and be effective playing with all that extra weight.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
        He is tall like 6'5 and played around 270 pounds. When I watched him, he looked out of position as an interior d-lineman. He is built like a 4-3 defensive end. There is no way I can see him playing DT or 3-4 DE in the NFL. He would have to add 30 pounds, keep it through the season and be effective playing with all that extra weight.
        Wolfe current plays at around 285-290 and McDowell currently is at 275+ so he doesn't need to gain much more weight to get around there, if he gains too much he'd lose his athleticism which is his best trait. in the system we play we don't need 300+ pound DEs we need players who can penetrate

Comment

Originally posted by 15thebeast View Post
          Wolfe current plays at around 285-290 and McDowell currently is at 275+ so he doesn't need to gain much more weight to get around there, if he gains too much he'd lose his athleticism which is his best trait. in the system we play we don't need 300+ pound DEs we need players who can penetrate
          My understanding is that while we often play with two DE's we are more often than not utilizing the non rushing DE as more of a DE/NT. Wolfe out of nearly everyone on our line last year seemed to be able to get penetration on our opponents OL. So it would seem to be potentially counter productive to move Wolfe to 'the other role' and have a rookie backfill Wolfe's role.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
            The only issue I have is that he seems like a project. Last year we spent our first and second round pick on players that were projects and were not able to have an impact on the field and probably wont have an impact year 2. Our first 2 picks this year NEED to be day 1 contributors.

The good news is he has the makings of player that falls in the draft. He could be available when we pick 2nd. But if we didn't draft gotsis last year I would feel alot better about drafting Malik this year.
            True about the projects. I guess we are pretty lucky in most years we can just take best player available.

Comment

denver's had a legendary D with a below average NT

If we're talking 34 DE we gotta talk about Gotsis or Solomon Thomas

McDowell's motor has been questioned as well. Dude just reminds me of Sly Williams too much for me to think Elway makes the same mistake twice

I want a higher impact player

Comment

I would rather go with Watkins in round 2 as a more pure NT. He is a leader and team captain IIRC. he also has a better motor. Malik is all potential IMO. He is one of those huge boom/bust guys.
                Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
                  I would rather go with Watkins in round 2 as a more pure NT. He is a leader and team captain IIRC. he also has a better motor. Malik is all potential IMO. He is one of those huge boom/bust guys.
                  Prefer Watkins in 2nd too. Or potentially Brantley if still on the board at #20.

DT is relatively deep though. Could see some decent upgrades in the 3rd or even 4th that have the size and motor at NT/DT.

Any thoughts on Qualls?

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                    Prefer Watkins in 2nd too. Or potentially Brantley if still on the board at #20.

DT is relatively deep though. Could see some decent upgrades in the 3rd or even 4th that have the size and motor at NT/DT.

Any thoughts on Qualls?
                    I haven't done any homework on Qualls. Brantley will likely be on the board at 20. I like him a lot, and wouldn't be upset with that pick. I think he would probably be a DE in our system. I think he is a little lighter than what is being reported. We will find out later I guess.
                    Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

McDowell's weight is already up to 295 pounds. That's a good sign for 3-4 teams. When I look at him, I don't see an interior lineman, but if he can carry this weight and get a little stronger... Yes, we could use inside pass rush, but McDowell must be able to stand against o-linemen and play strong against the run if he's going to be a 3-down player.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                        McDowell's weight is already up to 295 pounds. That's a good sign for 3-4 teams. When I look at him, I don't see an interior lineman, but if he can carry this weight and get a little stronger... Yes, we could use inside pass rush, but McDowell must be able to stand against o-linemen and play strong against the run if he's going to be a 3-down player.
                        If we are to target a raw Malik Jackson clone, then wait until our later 3rd and look at nazair jones from North Carolina
                        I need more Oline, please and thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Diggs4 View Post
                          Let me preface this by saying I had a chance to watch three of his games on YouTube, so that clearly makes me an expert with a valid foundation for my opinion

Assuming we address out OL issues in FA, I'm gonna go ahead and put McDowell on my 1st round wishlist. I think he has the same type of buzz that Nkemdiche had last year but I don't think he has quiet the baggage, and I trust our locker room and staff.

Let the criticism begin...
                          Right, it could happen. If Denver addresses the O-Line in free agency, they will have the freedom to draft something other than that position in the first round (i.e., defenders, offensive skill guys)

Unless someone with a top fifteen grade drops, that would probably put guys like Corey Davis, Zach Cunningham, John Ross, Marlon Humphrey, Malik McDowell and Christian McCaffrey in play. Of these, I prefer the defenders in the order listed.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskajoe View Post
                            If we are to target a raw Malik Jackson clone, then wait until our later 3rd and look at nazair jones from North Carolina
                            Given the OP's assumption, whom would you target at #20?
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                              Given the OP's assumption, whom would you target at #20?
                              Assuming that free agency handles the oline situation, I will also assume that QBs will be pushed higher than they should go in to the middle of the 1st, leaving at least one or 2 players that shouldn't fall to us, fall to us. I'm thinking o.j. Howard might be that guy. Or if Bolles does make it to us. McCaffrey is so tempting but I just can't see using the 1st on him. If we were drafting 28-32 like usual then sure. But not at 20......and to completely muddle my answer....if a top 2-3 dB falls.....then ah hell, all bets are off
                              I need more Oline, please and thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X