Fournette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
    But if his upper body strength is weak, can we trust him to pass block? Can we trust him to hold onto the ball in traffic?
    I wouldn't read into the 10 reps benching too much. Like Big AL said, some people are game strong and others are weight room strong. No one every has questioned Mac strength at Stanford.

Comment

But if his upper body strength is weak, can we trust him to pass block? Can we trust him to hold onto the ball in traffic?

I don't know much about the kid. I hear he is good. Guys gush over him on tv. I still have my favorite in Kamara.
      The pass block thing is a bit more understandable. However, pass blocking is more than just bench press. It's leverage/technique, strength from the full body. But, it does help to have some press ability, I will admit. However, holding onto a ball has almost nothing to do with the ability to bench press. Completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
        The pass block thing is a bit more understandable. However, pass blocking is more than just bench press. It's leverage/technique, strength from the full body. But, it does help to have some press ability, I will admit. However, holding onto a ball has almost nothing to do with the ability to bench press. Completely different.
        I am not speaking g on just press ability, but rather pure arm strenght. Holding onto the ball while people are ripping at it does take some arm strenght.
        Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Also, was he ever prone to fumbling in his collegiate career?

Comment

I am not speaking g on just press ability, but rather pure arm strenght. Holding onto the ball while people are ripping at it does take some arm strenght.
            Having a relative amount of arm strength is important, yes. But, It's more about how you're holding onto the ball. Bench pressing 225 ten times is plenty of strength to be able to hold onto a ball if he knows how to do so. I'd be willing to confidently bet that arm strength having a correlation to being able to hold onto the ball drastically tapers off after a certain level once you have a good amount of strength to you.

Just from the experience of trying to rip the ball away from some people that were not that strong, but held onto the ball correctly. While, taking it away from some very strong and lesser skilled with their technique people, was much easier.

And to answer your last question, from one sight I got that he has had 3 fumbles in three years at Stanford. With none last year.
            Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 03-04-2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Having a relative amount of arm strength is important, yes. But, It's a lot about how you're holding onto the ball. Bench pressing 225 ten times is plenty of strength to be able to hold onto a ball if he knows how to do so. I'd be willing to confidently bet that arm strength having a correlation to being able to hold onto the ball drastically tapers off after a certain level once you have a good amount of strength to you.

Just from the experience of trying to rip the ball away from some people that were not that strong, but held onto the ball correctly. While, taking it away from some very strong and lesser skilled with their technique people, was much easier.

And to answer your last question, from one sight I got that he has had 3 fumbles in three years at Stanford. With none last year.
              Well then with his history of an average of 1 per year, I guess the point is moot. I still stand by the fact I want Kamara more than any RB in the draft.

Comment

Well then with his history of an average of 1 per year, I guess the point is moot. I still stand by the fact I want Kamara more than any RB in the draft.
                You're entitled to that opinion. My objective was not to persuade you of your stance on what player you want. Just that he's strong enough that his bench does very little to affect his ability to hold onto the ball.

Comment

You're entitled to that opinion. My objective was not to persuade you of your stance on what player you want. Just that he's strong enough that his bench does very little to affect his ability to hold onto the ball.
                  That's fine. I just like to see any player we target at least near lyrics competitive with other prospects. I mean he was the 2nd worst of the RBs.

Comment

That's fine. I just like to see any player we target at least near lyrics competitive with other prospects. I mean he was the 2nd worst of the RBs.
                    If you look up the top 10 highest bench press performances in NFL Combine history, you'll find that the overwhelming majority of them did nothing of note in the NFL.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl...tml/?a=viewall

I want players who can play football, not workout warriors. I'm not high on McCaffrey, but when you look at his genetics, his father's work ethic, where he went to school, and what he did in college football, it shows me a guy who shouldn't be defined by 10 reps on the bench. If anything it tells me that he's got a lot of room to grow once he's in a proper NFL training and conditioning program.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                      If you look up the top 10 highest bench press performances in NFL Combine history, you'll find that the overwhelming majority of them did nothing of note in the NFL.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl...tml/?a=viewall

I want players who can play football, not workout warriors. I'm not high on McCaffrey, but when you look at his genetics, his father's work ethic, where he went to school, and what he did in college football, it shows me a guy who shouldn't be defined by 10 reps on the bench. If anything it tells me that he's got a lot of room to grow once he's in a proper NFL training and conditioning program.
                      I agree man. I was just saying, regardless if it was bench, vert, or 40 I would prefer for a prospect to be with the pack at least. I'm not saying I would be upset if we got him. I'm just saying I would have liked to see more.

Comment

But near top in the things that really matter for what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                          Sproles was also 190 with like 3% body fat. 23 reps on bench. The guy may have been short in stature, but was an absolute ANIMAL. A solid block of muscle with no fat at all.
                          Lol 3%.. Not even close. He'd be dead, and far less effective as an athlete.

For accuracy's sake, he looks to hover around 13-15%.

The lowest you'll see on a person is around 4-5% which is a bit less fat than this

Comment

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                            Big AL on 104.3 said that sometimes there are players that are game strong but not weight room strong. He compared McCaffrey to this. That being said don't expect McCaffrey to carry a DB into the end zone with him.
                            The ability to bench press is not indicative whatsoever of one's ability to carry a person on your back.

That being said, Mccaffery is quite weak. Wouldn't mind him on the team, though.

Comment

A running back holding onto a football utilizes the biceps most of all, a muscle not engaged by the bench press.

Furthermore, the bench press is not exactly what someone should consider a test of arm strength.

Comment

Working...
                              X