Solutions at LT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solutions at LT

I've watched a few DBTV video segments and listened to some of the off-season pod casts and a common topic that keeps recurring is what will John Elway do at LT this season? A number of people have said that getting solid blue chip starter OL guys in the draft is much much harder to do these days because of the rise of the spread hurry up offense in college ball. The reality of OL prospects in the draft is that they're now they're more likely to be project picks, where they have to be groomed over the course of a few seasons, similar to QBs.

That being said, Denver maybe has a couple more seasons of maintaining one of the leagues elite defenses before most of the guys are on different teams. The window to utilize those guys is getting smaller and smaller. Ideally we'd like to have a decent OL to keep our QB upright, whoever it may be. Most of the big name LTs are off the market now or on contract with other teams (Joe Thomas). Perhaps the best route to take is to get a serviceable vet for the near future and get a young guy to mold for the position. Today DBTV interviewed John Clayton from ESPN and one of the guys mentioned was Ryan Clady.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing him being brought back on with an average veteran OL price tag with maybe some incentives for performance and games played. It'd be kind of like when we brought back Ryan Harris for a season. What're everyone's thoughts on the LT position and/or the possibility of bringing back Clady?
    2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

Yeah, bring Ryan back. He should sign for a huge discount since he was on IR in 2013 and 2015. On second thought, maybe odd numbered years aren't his best. Joking aside, It would be worth having him back if Elway thinks he's got some gas left in the tank and some tread on the tires and if he can fit in the budget. He may be a better answer at Left Tackle than Stephenson, Watson or Sambrailo although he's more of a zone stepper than an angle blocker on run plays. Injuries are a problem for him.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I've been reading that Austin Pasztor, one of the OT's for the Browns, is a FA now and isn't half bad. I think the only issue is that he was a RT/ LG for the Browns and is probably not a natural transition to LT
      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

There are 2 options we take a risk on Moton or Robinson in the draft or we could sign Clady or Dunlap and develop McDermott that would probably be our best course of action. Pasztor is serviceable and not bad in pass protection but he was a guard who recently moved to RT it maybe difficult to move him and he may not be a long term solution worth the investment.
        2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Rather roll the dice with rookies and young prospects who have the potential to improve rather than these veterans that are trending downward and that nobody else wants. We all though okung played poorly and the chargers paid him more money than we would have to replace Dunlap and now we want Dunlap? Last year was clady's kick the tire session with the jets and that failed. No point in signing guys we know will suck.

Finding a good tackle is just as difficult as finding a good QB just gotta keep drafting until you hit.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
            Rather roll the dice with rookies and young prospects who have the potential to improve rather than these veterans that are trending downward and that nobody else wants. We all though okung played poorly and the chargers paid him more money than we would have to replace Dunlap and now we want Dunlap? Last year was clady's kick the tire session with the jets and that failed. No point in signing guys we know will suck.

Finding a good tackle is just as difficult as finding a good QB just gotta keep drafting until you hit.
            That doesn't mean we can't trade a pick for a decent LT out there though. If we tell a rookie OT (and I have my doubts we even draft one of the top 3 OTs) to block the blind side of the QB all season, we shouldn't expect success or even a mediocre season. As Joseph said, sides for a defender doesn't matter. Houstin, Boey, and Mack can easily move to the right side and attack the left edge of the offensive line if they feel the rookie is a weaker protector than Menelik or Stephenson.
            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Calling it now, TY Sambrailo will be the starting LT heading into training camp. Elway wants his high draft picks to play, he'll get the 1st Crack at the job. With better coaching and a healthy offseason he might be able to turn his career around. He wasn't that bad his 4 games at LT his rookie yr.
              "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                That doesn't mean we can't trade a pick for a decent LT out there though. If we tell a rookie OT (and I have my doubts we even draft one of the top 3 OTs) to block the blind side of the QB all season, we shouldn't expect success or even a mediocre season. As Joseph said, sides for a defender doesn't matter. Houstin, Boey, and Mack can easily move to the right side and attack the left edge of the offensive line if they feel the rookie is a weaker protector than Menelik or Stephenson.
                Nobody is really looking to trade a decent starting tackle and if they are its not gonna be cheap. The only team that realistically might trade a decent starting tackle is the eagles for Peters but at 35 he can fall off any day now and what is the value on a guy like that? When we had clady pre injury would have dreamed of trading him? Of course not and it would have taken kings ransom to make it happen. Its not unheard of for a rookie to hit the ground running and find success in his first year we had that with clady and if you read his scouting report you wouldn't anticipate him having the success he had so early on.

Comment

We cannot continue to be lazy by picking up mediocre Tackles in Free Agency, over-paying them and hoping they produce. Donald Stephenson was a terrible signing from the jump, Menelik Watson is average at best, and Russell Okung last year was much of the same. We have zero talent on the roster at the Tackle position right now and no one to play the blindside. It is about time there was a commitment made to the Offensive Line in the draft, and early.

We are going to have some options at Tackle in the First Round and we need to make the pick. One of Cam Robinson, Garett Bolles or Ryan Ramczyk should be available and one of them should be Denver's starting Left Tackle. Hell, if one of these guys or Forrest Lamp manages to fall to around the 35th pick I would look to trade up using some sort of package using our 2nd and 3rd Rounder to grab the other.

Comment

I am willing to risk going with the olineman they currently have. Let the coaching and system changes work themselves out.

I will be contrary and say the olineman they have on the roster have potential and can do a good job. My expectation is not for them to be great. But improved.

Perhaps a bit more consistent and better fit to the assumed schemes. Maybe even some coaching willingness to give the OTs some help occasionally. Even using six olineman at times.

Look at the roster. Competition across the line. I get that they have been rated poorly but IMO more potential for improvement then is being considered.

2-3 deep at center. Great foundation OG in Leary and 2-3 OGs with potential. The 4 OTs on the roster with experience. There is talent there. It just needs to be coached, consistent and build chemistry like any oline.

Still could add a one year rental vet after cuts. Still can add a couple of young OTs in rounds 3-6 to develop.

Just not feeling the oline is as dire a situation as others. Give the coaches a chance to coach them. I have some (perhaps blind ) confidence they can get the job done this year.

Comment

Very valid points about coaching and system, but I can't agree with the potential and talent aspect you mentioned. I think if you are going into a new season with players who have been their before, you need to have seen flashes and some sort of sign to suggest that they could potentially get better and perform. However with our Offensive Line last season those flashes, or signs of potential growth and talent just weren't there. The two decent performers along the Offensive Line were Russell Okung who is gone, and Matt Paradis who is injured and slated in to be the starting Center. But outside of that I don't think anyone can say there was much potential shown by our returning Offensive Lineman or talent displayed at all. Going into the 2017 season with our current situation is very risky and I can't imagine things improving much on the Offensive side of the ball if we throw the likes of Garcia, Stephenson, Scholfield and Sambrailo back out there in any capacity.

Comment

With the 3 options:

Draft:
                        Ramcyzk I think would be the guy if we go that direction for an immediate fix. With Geep's connection with Paul Chryst from Wisconsin, we will have all the info we need.

There are also day 2 guys we can develop like Davenport or Garcia.

FA:
                        I think King Dunlap is the most likely replacement, he's not special, but I'd take an average stop gap. He also has the McCoy connection.

Trade:
                        If we look this route, I'd call two teams about their LT. The Eagles with Jason Peters, they have their heir apparent in Lane Johnson and is paid as such. Perhaps they'd be willing to make the switch. The other team is Washington. Washington has an interesting situation at their LT spot. Trent Williams is a beast, but is also getting older, perhaps they could move on to gain ammo if/when cousins leaves to go up and get a QB. Their backup LT Ty Nsheke player very well last season when he replaced Williams during his suspension. If they are not willing to move Trent, perhaps we could get Ty.

Honestly, I think we go with signing Dunlap, and drafting a guy like Davenport to develop.
                        What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                        I don't know and I don't care

Comment

When Elway says the LT situation will get fixed and there has been no movement in free agency, I think it's clear he is targeting a LT in the draft. I'd say it's one of the top 3 OTs with 1st-round grades and perhaps the front office believes the #1 OT on their board can start right away. If Elway can't get his LT in the draft, then he will call Dunlap and Clady.

I don't believe the Broncos will be able to get a LT via trade because the Browns, Eagles and 49ers have no reason to trade Joe Staley, Jason Peters or Joe Thomas unless they receive ridiculous compensation. Who else could Elway get in a trade? Perhaps Greg Robinson, who's been a monumental bust with the Rams? That does not sound like a good idea.

So, I'd say it's a LT in the 1st round (the #1 OT on their board) or another year with a stopgap like Dunlap or Clady. I don't expect Elway to seriously consider Donald Stephenson as the starting LT for the regular season.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by munoz1987 View Post
                            Calling it now, TY Sambrailo will be the starting LT heading into training camp. Elway wants his high draft picks to play, he'll get the 1st Crack at the job. With better coaching and a healthy offseason he might be able to turn his career around. He wasn't that bad his 4 games at LT his rookie yr.
                            I'll take that bet. I highly doubt Sambrailo starts anywhere on the line. He may not even make final cuts. I really have no idea why people keep saying he "wasn't bad" his rookie season..... and why they think he will develop into a starter so soon, especially at LT. I think his stats were something along the lines of 3 sacks allowed and 19 hurries...in 3 games....
                            Last edited by broncos SB2010; 03-30-2017, 06:05 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                              I really have no idea why people keep saying he "wasn't bad" his rookie season.....
                              He wasn't bad as a rookie. He took over the LT spot after Clady went down before camp and kept the job during camp, preseason and the first 3 games of the season. He played well enough against the Ravens and Chiefs, who had a strong pass rush.

If Sambrailo was an issue at LT in 2015, Ryan Harris would have taken his job before the injury in week 3.

Then he got injured against the Lions. And then he got injured again in 2016, played at less than 100% and looked awful at RT, which is not a natural position for him.

Sambrailo has been a LT for a long time and that's where he is more comfortable. The problem is: his confidence might be shot dead and I haven't heard one word from Elway or Joseph about Sambrailo competing at LT. We only hear about Stephenson and Watson.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X