No announcement yet.

Solutions at LT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a Solution we can go into the lab and clone who ever the best LT in the game now lol or we can just build one with a can of Flex Seal as seen on TV hahaha.

Comment

Unless one of the top 3 OTs fall to Denver, or within 5 or so spots in the draft, I'm not sure they find a day 1 starter in this draft. I think they will have to take someone later in first by trading back, or even waiting until some time in the second. Even if we do take someone high in this draft, I still think the most likely bet for game 1 starter is a veteran. Whether it's a stopgap LT like Clady or Dunlap, or someone else currently on the roster like Sambrillo.

The one thing I dont want to have happen is to have a rookie tackle come in and have a game like Schofield had against Mack back in 2015, and shatter his confidence as a rookie. My vote (that counts for absolutely nothing) is to bring in a Vet as a stop gap and take a tackle in the first or second to groom for the position.
      2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
        Yes, Sambrailo is out of place in the current scheme (especially if he does not get stronger in the weight room), as is Matt Paradis (like ir or not). The Broncos want power, mean "beef" at the o-line, and Paradis is not exactly that. Also, I don't think Paradis played as well as his PFF ranking suggests. I saw a lot of plays where Paradis screwed up, including the play when Siemian injured his shoulder. I understand Paradis played through hip issues and I respect that, but I am not sure he will thrive in Mike McCoy's offense.
        He great thing about having Mike McCoy here when he was previously OC, was he was able to adapt his plays he calls to his talent. Just think about the three offenses he ran prior to leaving for SD. Three totally different QBs, and all with a decent margin of success given the talent of the teams at the time. I think he can adapt to the talent we have and will get.
        2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
          I think both of those players are good prospects and both are projected around 3rd round. The way I see them is that Elflein may be a better true OC prospect while Pocic has more versatility. Both could be drafted to play OC or OG and they really need help at both positions. I would be happy with either of these picks
          Thanks for the info.

I was curious since there has been "talk" about changing OL scheme from zone to power and how our current OLmen are not "strong" enough.

So I just assumed we'd look into BP numbers as deciding
          factor.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
            Nobody is really looking to trade a decent starting tackle and if they are its not gonna be cheap. The only team that realistically might trade a decent starting tackle is the eagles for Peters but at 35 he can fall off any day now and what is the value on a guy like that? When we had clady pre injury would have dreamed of trading him? Of course not and it would have taken kings ransom to make it happen. Its not unheard of for a rookie to hit the ground running and find success in his first year we had that with clady and if you read his scouting report you wouldn't anticipate him having the success he had so early on.
            Yes it's possible. But very unlikely. A rookie already has difficulty adjusting to the NFL based on exponentially increased athleticism from opponents. Now in one of the most difficult positions, the Left tackle, in a weak OT draft, and history of picking poor linemen, tells me we shouldn't put our hopes on a rookie.

Of course a trade is going to hurt our team, that's why in my opinion it would have been better to have picked up a FA left tackle, but I'm not Elway nor privy to all the off season info and needs of the team so I can't say more than that. But at this point it's the best option to secure the left edge, everything else is a stop-gap. Look at last season - would spending a mid round pick to have traded for an above average LT and RT have been worth it? I think so, I'd say we probably would have made the playoffs. This season is more of the same...how much are we willing to give up to protect the QB? Remember, we can always find a trade with someone simply above average, not high-caliber like Thomas where we are forced to give up high picks.
            Last edited by TheAsianPA; 03-31-2017, 02:09 PM.
            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
              Yes it's possible. But very unlikely. A rookie already has difficulty adjusting to the NFL based on exponentially increased athleticism from opponents. Now in one of the most difficult positions, the Left tackle, in a weak OT draft, and history of picking poor linemen, tells me we shouldn't put our hopes on a rookie.

Of course a trade is going to hurt our team, that's why in my opinion it would have been better to have picked up a FA left tackle, but I'm not Elway nor privy to all the offseason info and needs of the team so I can't say more than that. But at this point it's the best option to secure the left edge, everything else is a stop-gap.

1. This is not a weak OT draft, the media keeps saying it but you will see them change their tune. Also you will see as many OTs, if not more, come off the board in rd 1 and 2 as you have the last few years.

2. Ryan Clady, Debrickishaw Ferguson, Joe Thomas, Joe Staley, Ravens LT, Cheifs LT, Flowers for the giants, The beast from CU who plays for the pats (forget his name atm), Tyron Smith, All rookie LTs who started to the best of my knowledge. Typically those and QBs get drafted early and start early, most perform admirably. OThers do not, such is any draft pick or position.

Id be ok with Clady or King, but both are HUGE HUGE HUGE injury risks and IMO, Cam or Bolles are much better options for us and safer picks regarding injury (even with his hips)
              So far:
              FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
              1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                The Broncos have four centers on the roster if I rember correctly

Paradis, Ferentz, Day and Dismukes

Not opposed to adding a center but I am thinking emphasis will be to bolster the tackle position wherever they decide to draft them.
                I'm skeptical whether Ferentz, Day and Dismukes are serious candidates for the five. They seem like backups to me. I like the competition and think it will bring the best out of all of them which will be great for the team.

During last season, Connor McGovern was taking snaps at Center even with Ferentz on the roster and Day on the PS. It probably happened as a result of Paradis' deteriorating hip condition. That sounds like a contingency plan which doesn't include Ferentz or Day starting.

Max Garcia played thirteen games at Center his last year at Florida. The experiment of repping McGovern at Center began in TC and he played the better part of a preseason game at that position.

The addition of Turner and the acquisition of Leary provides Denver with a group of inside guys to sort out in the line. Another thing to consider is how much angle blocking will be used in the rushing attack and how well any of the guys can down block. We'll see what happens.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                  1. This is not a weak OT draft, the media keeps saying it but you will see them change their tune. Also you will see as many OTs, if not more, come off the board in rd 1 and 2 as you have the last few years.

2. Ryan Clady, Debrickishaw Ferguson, Joe Thomas, Joe Staley, Ravens LT, Cheifs LT, Flowers for the giants, The beast from CU who plays for the pats (forget his name atm), Tyron Smith, All rookie LTs who started to the best of my knowledge. Typically those and QBs get drafted early and start early, most perform admirably. OThers do not, such is any draft pick or position.

Id be ok with Clady or King, but both are HUGE HUGE HUGE injury risks and IMO, Cam or Bolles are much better options for us and safer picks regarding injury (even with his hips)
                  I tend to believe it's a weak draft for OT's because of the talent scouting, post first round picks (Bolles, Ramczyk, Robinson) the talent drop-off is steep. If that's not the case, then we'll see that reflected in the draft. It's a moot point for now, because until a few seasons in we won't know which OT's are busts or not.

You're talking about Nate Solder on the Pats I believe. I still have my doubts that rookies hit the ground running and rock the world against NFL-caliber defensive edges. The cards are just simply stacked against them. Depending on how they were trained in college is an indicator to how well they transition to the NFL. Conklin who was drafted by the Titans as the 8th overall shows that it can work, but also keep in mind that the Titans 2016 offensive line was ranked even higher than the Cowboys' line, which will make any rookie's job easier. I don't think our line will have that caliber to support a rookie LT, but if Leary starts at left guard, a rookie LT may do okay as long as he performs above average, which is always an if.

And agreed...when it comes down to it, Dunlap and Clady are poor options at LT. There's just no way around saying it...they're free agents for a reason.
                  Last edited by TheAsianPA; 03-31-2017, 03:07 PM.
                  Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                    Ferentz is not half bad. He is a bit light, but he is mean! I love his attitude, he needs to tone it down a notch but the guy is pretty good. He caught my eye a ton in camp last year. Dillion Day is a draft pick. Long hair, people seem to love him. I thought he was just ok. Reese Dismukes is eh with a possibility of ya. Sure we could improve but its unlikely. Paradis is going to be the guy and he will be just fine.

Its pretty rare for a UDFA Rookie to come in and unseat the starters. Very few ever do that. Paradis did it in his 2nd year. Dont make it seem like Paradis is not that good or wont be in the PBS. We are still using a bunch of zone too. Center is one position we need not worry much about. Garcia can also play C. That makes 5 centers on the roster if needed.

Maybe we Grab Bolles at LT, maybe that De'veon guy in the mid rounds. Either way, look for a T to be priority numero uno when concerned with the OL
                    Dillon Day was an UDFA in 2014 and has spent two years on the PS.

Matt Paradis was drafted #207 in the 6th round in 2014 and spent that season on the PS.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

2017 Starting LT: Michael Schofield. I've been saying since probably December, so might as well keep going, I think he'll start OTAs there and could end up being the guy. Just my gut feeling. I think they moved him in to guard to settle him down and get him some success, but I think the plan all along was for him to move back outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        2017 Starting LT: Michael Schofield. I've been saying since probably December, so might as well keep going, I think he'll start OTAs there and could end up being the guy. Just my gut feeling. I think they moved him in to guard to settle him down and get him some success, but I think the plan all along was for him to move back outside.
                        That's a pretty strong possibility as well, moving him there while we developed a draft OT. What are your thoughts on Stephenson/Schofield starting at LT?
                        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                          That's a pretty strong possibility as well, moving him there while we developed a draft OT. What are your thoughts on Stephenson/Schofield starting at LT?
                          I don't have positive thoughts on Stephenson at all. But I think Schofield is going end up being like Matt Lepsis, poor early in his career but got better and better. I'd move Schofield, draft a LT in round 1 (Robinson would be my choice) and then let them battle it out. I think Robinson will be a starter from day 1, probably not at LT, but I think he's a guy who they can plug in elsewhere initially and he'll be successful while he gets to the point he can play LT.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            I'm skeptical whether Ferentz, Day and Dismukes are serious candidates for the five. They seem like backups to me. I like the competition and think it will bring the best out of all of them which will be great for the team.

During last season, Connor McGovern was taking snaps at Center even with Ferentz on the roster and Day on the PS. It probably happened as a result of Paradis' deteriorating hip condition. That sounds like a contingency plan which doesn't include Ferentz or Day starting.

Max Garcia played thirteen games at Center his last year at Florida. The experiment of repping McGovern at Center began in TC and he played the better part of a preseason game at that position.

The addition of Turner and the acquisition of Leary provides Denver with a group of inside guys to sort out in the line. Another thing to consider is how much angle blocking will be used in the rushing attack and how well any of the guys can down block. We'll see what happens.
                            My comment was directed to a poster stating that the Broncos needed a center for practice reps this summer because of Paradis' recovery. With only Garcia as a replacement. I pointed out they actually have three on the roster in addition to Paradis. They have the depth at center to practice. If a center is drafted as an upgrade I am fine with it. Just do not see a C or even OG as much of a need as upgrading the OT position.

I have no clue how the three centers will perform under new coaching, a couple of seasons of training and an expected new system. Despite the draft position, both Dismukes and Day seem interesting. Even if just quality backups. Both started multiple years in the SEC. Dismukes was awarded the Rimington Award (Outstanding Center in the Nation). Both have a label of project that must get stronger. Have they after a couple years of NFL training? Likely not replacing Paradis, but filling him for him a few games... maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                              I think think the plan was to keep inside due to his lack of mobility and agility against speed rushers. Lets get off this Schofield bandwagon about him playing OT. Why do you think they brought in Stephenson last year and Watson this year. The Broncos are going to more of a power scheme with some zone. Mack, Houston would bull rush him to death. And now Bosa.

I'd rather take chances Bolles, Ramzyck or Robinson. All three have a higher ceiling than Schofield. Bolles brings a nasty, dog fight mentality which this Oline wants to be. Robinson is a mauler in the run game. You can't go wrong with Ramzyck (Wisconsin bred). If McCaffrey is gone, you would have to draft one of the above three.

A Bolles-Garcia-Paradis-Leary--Watson
                              A Robinson-Garcia-Paradis-Leary-Watson

During Leary's and Watson's intro press conferences, they noted they want to be the bullies not be bullied.

This is a good start. Then you can draft a Davenport (T) or an Asiata (G) later in the draft.

So, just my opinion ONLY, I would love to see any of the above scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by montee2ball View Post
                                I think think the plan was to keep inside due to his lack of mobility and agility against speed rushers. Lets get off this Schofield bandwagon about him playing OT. Why do you think they brought in Stephenson last year and Watson this year. The Broncos are going to more of a power scheme with some zone. Mack, Houston would bull rush him to death. And now Bosa.

I'd rather take chances Bolles, Ramzyck or Robinson. All three have a higher ceiling than Schofield. Bolles brings a nasty, dog fight mentality which this Oline wants to be. Robinson is a mauler in the run game. You can't go wrong with Ramzyck (Wisconsin bred). If McCaffrey is gone, you would have to draft one of the above three.

A Bolles-Garcia-Paradis-Leary--Watson
                                A Robinson-Garcia-Paradis-Leary-Watson

During Leary's and Watson's intro press conferences, they noted they want to be the bullies not be bullied.

This is a good start. Then you can draft a Davenport (T) or an Asiata (G) later in the draft.

So, just my opinion ONLY, I would love to see any of the above scenarios.
                                They brought in Stephenson because Schofield struggled badly in 2015 and they wanted to move him into the backup swing tackle role. He became a guard because the original starting RG (Sambarilo) was injured early in training camp and they needed someone to step in. Schofield was much better at guard in 2016 and also looked capable during limited reps at tackle.

Watson was brought in because of how poor Stephenson and Sambarilo were last year.

Ramzyck played 1 year on div 1 football and scouts reportedly question his desire to play football. Those are 2 red flags.

I agree about Robinson, he would be my choice at 20, if he's there I wouldn't even think about it (unless there are serious off the field concerns) but I'm not sure if he'll be ready to play LT right away.

Comment

Working...
                                X