Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why we WONT go OL in the 1st Round (IMO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why we WONT go OL in the 1st Round (IMO)

I'll keep this short...

I don't feel there is a big enough drop off (talent/potential wise) among the top 5 OT's that would justify passing on a guy who could be an elite play maker on the offensive side of the ball. We could use a play maker, DT is 50/50 and CJ cant play a whole season.

In any other draft, this year's 1st rounds OL guys might not be 1st round guys, and I think Elway is smart enough to see that and not settle.

There's a decent chance we don't go Oline because of the reasoning you mentioned, Elway has yet to I think really reach for a need in the first round.

I think Robinson is the only one I can see us going for at 20.

If we do end up passing on the Oline I don't think it immediately means McCaffrey, although he certainly is a popular choice because of his dad playing here. I'm of the opinion that we can just as easily look at adding another dominant presence on the DLine like Malik McDowell at 20 if we aren't sold on one of the OT's. There are other offensive playmakers like OJ Howard or Njoku who you could make arguments for as well.

I think a lot of people are convinced Elway is going to take McCaffrey because of his familiarity with Ed and the Stanford connection. I can see Elway taking McCaffrey but if he does it will be because Elway thinks he will have the most positive impact on the team's chances of winning. And if he passes on McCaffrey and takes someone else it will be for the same reason.
    A book I wrote

Comment

I believe all this O-line talk is just a bunch of smoke screens and the Broncos are happy to allow other teams to believe that they will go with an offensive line men in the first round when they most likely will not.

BTW I've been saying it for the last month if Ty Sambrailo was in this draft class teams and scouts would be putting him at the top of the list, so in reality it really doesn't say much for this draft class of o-line men.

Comment

I assume the elite playmaker you're talking about is McCaffrey? 2 things. 1. No guarantee he's there when the Broncos pick. 2. Being an elite playmaker in college doesn't mean anything in the NFL.

I think people are reading way too much into who the Broncos will or won't pick when the reality is that until other teams pick they won't know who's available. I think they have a group of players they select from if they stay at 20, they have a player or two they'll trade up for if they fall into a reasonable area to trade up to. And I think they will trade down if the players they're most interested in are already selected by the time they pick.

But they're not picking 5th or 6th, they're way too low to be enamoured with just one player.

Comment

Butler!! Dude I just gave you kudos for your bush argument vs mccaffery.

No, I was not referring to Cmac. I was referring to guys like Cook or Ross.

Comment

I doubt if Denver would trade up for anyone besides a QB or a pass rusher. They have already done that the past two drafts. I think they will either stay at #20 or trade back. It seems more likely they stay. If so, they will take the best player according to their board. It could be an offensive or defensive player. If the Broncos stay true to their board and don't reach, it seems unlikely they will pick an O-Lineman, but who knows? It will be interesting.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
              BTW I've been saying it for the last month if Ty Sambrailo was in this draft class teams and scouts would be putting him at the top of the list
              Sambrailo would not be close to being the top OT in this class. He was considered a 3rd/4th-round pick, lacking ideal strength and overdrafted by Elway.

Cam Robinson was a 3-year starter for Alamaba, 1st Team All-American, ideal size and arm length, prototypical LT.

Ryan Ramczyk was a 1st Team All-American, starting LT for Winsconsin which is the best college program to develop o-linemen.

Garrett Bolles is way more athletic than Sambrailo, plays with a nasty demeanor through the whistle (teams like that), was 1st Team All-Pac-12 and started at LT for Utah, one of the best college o-lines in 2016.

No, a 3rd/4th-round OT limited to a fit in a zone-blocking scheme would not jump ahead of the top OTs from this class.

I'm not even sure if Sambrailo would be ranked higher than the 2nd-tier guys from this draft like Taylor Moton and Antonio Garcia.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Diggs4 View Post
                Butler!! Dude I just gave you kudos for your bush argument vs mccaffery.

No, I was not referring to Cmac. I was referring to guys like Cook or Ross.
                I haven't checked that thread in a few days. So much McCaffrey love, not that I dislike him, I'm just not as enamoured as others.

If Cook is there I think that's a very intriguing prospect. Ross is also an intriguing prospect. I'm not sure if either are there at 20, but I think they, and McCaffrey are probably part of the group of players they'll select from at 20. I also think guys like Robinson and Lamp could be guys under consideration. And I think Foster and Allen are two players they would consider trading up for if they're there around 11 or 12.

One thing I've been wondering for awhile, how many mock drafts do the front office and scouts go through this time of year? They must go through a bunch of round 1 scenarios so they're not caught completely off guard. I read that the new Las Vegas hockey team has been doing 1 mock draft every week or two based on who might be available, you'd have to think that NFL team would go through similar things?

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  I doubt if Denver would trade up for anyone besides a QB or a pass rusher. They have already done that the past two drafts. I think they will either stay at #20 or trade back. It seems more likely they stay. If so, they will take the best player according to their board. It could be an offensive or defensive player. If the Broncos stay true to their board and don't reach, it seems unlikely they will pick an O-Lineman, but who knows? It will be interesting.

I think Allen (shoulder issues) and Foster (surgery, combine issues) are the two names they'll keep tabs on and if the fall, the only two I think they'd really consider trading up for. Two strong defensive players in areas that need depth and from a college team that plays an NFL style defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Diggs4 View Post
                    I'll keep this short...

I don't feel there is a big enough drop off (talent/potential wise) among the top 5 OT's that would justify passing on a guy who could be an elite play maker on the offensive side of the ball. We could use a play maker, DT is 50/50 and CJ cant play a whole season.

In any other draft, this year's 1st rounds OL guys might not be 1st round guys, and I think Elway is smart enough to see that and not settle.
                    underrater DT more he is an elite number 1 WR with 5 1000 yard seasons so he is isn't putting up 1400 yards or 1600 yards but he is putting up really good stats with underaverage QB play(in my oppion mainly due to the line not giving the QB enough time to find the open guy). most teams would kill to have a guy like DT on there team. DT isn't 50/50 its been more the line not protecting the guy throwing him the ball. DT is at least a top ten WR in the league. we are just spoiled with 2 really good WR in DT and Sanders theres a reason they are always high on the top WR pairs list.
                    sigpic
                    oakland raders gm
                    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Mike McCoy: "Our offense will go as far as our offensive line will take them".

This statement better get back to John Elway because in past years his approach to the offensive line has been nothing short of pathetic. Over-paying free agents in hope they magically turn their careers around, missing on mid to late round picks and showing no commitment to the position early in the draft. This year has to be the year to invest in the offensive tackle position in the first round. There isn't an elite guy however there are 3 guys worthy of the 20th overall pick and I strongly disagree with your post. There is a massive drop off from the top offensive tackles to the middle round guys and if we pass on the offensive line in round 1 again, we will again quickly be complaining about how bad the offensive line is.

Also who is the play-maker who will be available at 20th overall who will be the immediate superstar ? Is it a runner ? Cause last year we couldn't open holes for anyone up front. Is it a pass-catcher ? Cause we couldn't Trevor upright to pass the ball on a consistent basis last season. Fix the issues up front and the rest will take care of itself, and there are plenty of play-makers in the middle rounds.

Comment

Absolutely I bet they donl countless mocks in an attempt to be prepared for anything , like when Shane Ray dropped.

I think we are gonna move up, we have 10 picks, it'd be easy to package our 1st and 3rd (non comp) to move up 6 or so spots to jump on someone who might be slipping.

Comment

Who ? The only guy I would be willing to trade up for from the 20th overall pick who I could see potentially dropping is Reuben Foster, and that would be a great move in my opinion. However on the Offensive side of the football, I don't see anyone worth it as the talent drop off you mentioned at skill positions is not that drastic at all from Round 1 to when we will pick in Round 2.

Comment

Maybe Elway feels John Ross is a guy worth moving up for. I'm not sure but I'm excited to see what happens

As they pointed on path to the draft tonight , we picked up roby and Ray in years where we were already solid at those positions.

Comment

That is a good point on Ray and Roby, however at the time I don't think John Elway had anywhere near as many glaring holes in his team like he does now. I just cannot fathom the though of picking up a wide receiver in the first round, let alone trading up for one. A running back I could somewhat live with but I still wouldn't see it as a smart draft pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X