Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why we WONT go OL in the 1st Round (IMO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kona bronco View Post
    I still say if we go O-Line grab Forrest Lamp, try him at LT this year if it doesn't work out he will be an all star guard.

That being said I wouldn't be shocked at a heavy defensive draft. It's a deep draft and we may select position not considered a need. Lots of pass rushers and corners that are to good to pass on!
    we could also use him at RT LG RG he has the technique and Athletic Ability to play every position on the line and do it well. he just has the build, athletic ability and technique to be a top 5 guard int he league as soon as he enters he is my top choice if robinson ends up going top 10 if not i am still kinda on the trade up for robinson bandwagon
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Lamp isnt a flashy pick, well no OL is, but there isnt anything wrong with snaggin up a guy who will probably be at a minimal, a good starter.

Comment

I'd be ok really with any O-lineman we get in the first, because it'll probably mean someone like Ramcyzk, Bolles, Anderson, or Lamp, who are all great linemen and can potentially start day one. But if we don't actually go O-line, like I suspect we won't, hopefully it'll be for a top player like Haason Reddick or another CB...dare I say Lattimore?
        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
          I'd be ok really with any O-lineman we get in the first, because it'll probably mean someone like Ramcyzk, Bolles, Anderson, or Lamp, who are all great linemen and can potentially start day one. But if we don't actually go O-line, like I suspect we won't, hopefully it'll be for a top player like Haason Reddick or another CB...dare I say Lattimore?
          Lattimore will likely be a top 5 pick. I could honestly see us taking Sidney Jones at 20 if you want a CB. Yes I know he will in all likelihood sit out this year, but so will every CB we draft. We are to deep right now, but that could all change as soon as next year. Having that 5th year option is good for a guy like Jones.
          Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
            Lattimore will likely be a top 5 pick. I could honestly see us taking Sidney Jones at 20 if you want a CB. Yes I know he will in all likelihood sit out this year, but so will every CB we draft. We are to deep right now, but that could all change as soon as next year. Having that 5th year option is good for a guy like Jones.

If they decided to go CB I prefer Adoree Jackson over Jones.

Not debating that Jones was a tremendous player. But he wasn't the fastest CB before the Achilles injury. Who knows about after .

Jackson is a raw CB technique wise. But incredible athlete. Let him shine in the return game and learn his craft with the Bronco secondary for a year. Likely sees playing time in certain defenses.

Comment

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
              yeah, that's just me wishing we got him. He'll be long gone by the time #20 rolls around. Sidney Jones is a great CB as well, but isn't he projected to be a 2nd round pick? Maybe if the rumors are true and we trade out of the first he'd be the #33 pick. Also I'd argue that we have the best CB's in the league, but after CHJ, Talib, and Roby the drop off seems steep with Lorenzo Doss and Taurean Nixon.
              Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                The 2012 draft class was one of the best the team has ever had. There weren't Pro Bowls out of it, but all but 1 stayed on the team for the entire length of their rookie contracts (very rare) and the ones who did all contributed in ways to the Super Bowl after 2015. If you go through ANY teams drafts from year to year you're going to come away shaking your head at the misses. Even Belichick misses on a lot of picks.
                No doubt about it, it's such a hit and miss process however John Elway has been more miss than hit in the draft. And yes, he is considered one of the best General Managers in football, but his drafting hasn't earned him that title or reputation. He built a champion in free agency and only really added impact pieces in one draft, the year you mentioned, 2012. And even in 2012 with him adding huge contributors with the likes of Danny Trevathan, Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson, he also added average prospects in Omar Bolden, Brock Osweiler, Ronnie Hillman and Phillip Blake. You can say that is said with hindsight being 20/20, but even at the time they looked like poor choices, and turned out to be.

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
                Yeah, but I think the majority of gms would be considered mediocre drafters by their fan base. There's so much luck that goes into drafting and everyone else has hindsight and tricks themselves into thinking they're a great GM and they would have picked this player that is now good, but they knew all along that they were good. Heck, even Ozzie Newsome, who is considered one of the best drafting gm's out there has had some pretty bad drafts lately.

So, Did he forget how to scout and draft.. or is there even more luck to drafting than many will admit?
                John Elway's drafts have been received poorly at the time of them happening, and years down the line. He has made poor draft day trades, over-drafted players often in my opinion, left more talented players on the board and added players who make very limited impact over the course of their careers with the Broncos, especially in rounds 2, 3 and 4. Everyone makes bad decisions, some more than others however the great drafters have a solid, consistent record of drafting good players, John Elway doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Football View Post
                  No doubt about it, it's such a hit and miss process however John Elway has been more miss than hit in the draft. And yes, he is considered one of the best General Managers in football, but his drafting hasn't earned him that title or reputation. He built a champion in free agency and only really added impact pieces in one draft, the year you mentioned, 2012. And even in 2012 with him adding huge contributors with the likes of Danny Trevathan, Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson, he also added average prospects in Omar Bolden, Brock Osweiler, Ronnie Hillman and Phillip Blake. You can say that is said with hindsight being 20/20, but even at the time they looked like poor choices, and turned out to be.

John Elway's drafts have been received poorly at the time of them happening, and years down the line. He has made poor draft day trades, over-drafted players often in my opinion, left more talented players on the board and added players who make very limited impact over the course of their careers with the Broncos, especially in rounds 2, 3 and 4. Everyone makes bad decisions, some more than others however the great drafters have a solid, consistent record of drafting good players, John Elway doesn't.
                  And I'm saying that the majority of gm's also do not. Just a few that have gotten a bit luckier a couple extra times. But, that's just my opinion. I know it's not a popular one and it's not something I can prove whatsoever. I recognize that, so I don't expect to convince anyone of it.

Comment

I think people are overlooking the fact that this might be the rare draft where you dont have to trade into the teens or top 10 to get an OT prospect with a first round grade. Some might want to wait until next year but where do you expect us to pick? At #20 we have a rare opportunity to grab a first round OT. Look at the previous years the top OTs went in the top 20 and teams had to trade up. Dont expect next year to be nearly as rich with teams picking safeties and corners in the 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Football View Post

With the exception of Blake, every pick was kept until they became UFAs after 4 years, and all played key parts in their Super Bowl run in 2015, that's a solid draft.

2011: Von Miller, Orlando Franklin (solid 4 year starter in Denver), Julius Thomas and Virgil Green, Chris Harris (UDFA)
                      2012: Already discussed
                      2013: Poor draft, although Williams and Webster did contribute somewhat
                      2014: Roby, Schofield, Paradis All solid contributors. Latimer and Nelson key special teams players
                      2015: Ray, Garcia (jury is still out) and Siemian all contributors. 4 others still floating around
                      2016: Simmons, Janovich, Parks and Dixon all played a lot in year 1. Lynch is competing for starting QB position, Booker will compete for starting RB, McGovern will compete for o-line, and Gotsis will be expected to improve in year 2.

Well it's not flashy pro bowlers and you'd like to see more starters, the Broncos have been getting contributors in every draft, if you can get 3 players who are solid that's a decent draft, 4 players who are solid and it's a good draft and more than that and it's a very good draft.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                        I think people are overlooking the fact that this might be the rare draft where you dont have to trade into the teens or top 10 to get an OT prospect with a first round grade. Some might want to wait until next year but where do you expect us to pick? At #20 we have a rare opportunity to grab a first round OT. Look at the previous years the top OTs went in the top 20 and teams had to trade up. Dont expect next year to be nearly as rich with teams picking safeties and corners in the 1st.
                        Just because we draft a T at number 20 doesn't make them any better than what they are. BPA is best way to approach first round pick.
                        New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                          With the exception of Blake, every pick was kept until they became UFAs after 4 years, and all played key parts in their Super Bowl run in 2015, that's a solid draft.

2011: Von Miller, Orlando Franklin (solid 4 year starter in Denver), Julius Thomas and Virgil Green, Chris Harris (UDFA)
                          2012: Already discussed
                          2013: Poor draft, although Williams and Webster did contribute somewhat
                          2014: Roby, Schofield, Paradis All solid contributors. Latimer and Nelson key special teams players
                          2015: Ray, Garcia (jury is still out) and Siemian all contributors. 4 others still floating around
                          2016: Simmons, Janovich, Parks and Dixon all played a lot in year 1. Lynch is competing for starting QB position, Booker will compete for starting RB, McGovern will compete for o-line, and Gotsis will be expected to improve in year 2.

Well it's not flashy pro bowlers and you'd like to see more starters, the Broncos have been getting contributors in every draft, if you can get 3 players who are solid that's a decent draft, 4 players who are solid and it's a good draft and more than that and it's a very good draft.
                          Rounds 2-3 have been garbage

Comment

Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
                            Just because we draft a T at number 20 doesn't make them any better than what they are. BPA is best way to approach first round pick.
                            But who is BPA at #20 and what good is picking then if they get us no closer to winning games than last year? We draft a pass rusher or DB at #20 who is most likely bpa that does nothing for is its the strongest areas of our team. We draft a RB at #20 what good is it if he cant get out the backfield without contact. We could draft a TE or a WR just another player to get overlooked because our QB cant stay upright long enough go make his reads.

Cam Robinson Forrest lamp both have played tackle at a very high level in college and we need to get them on the team with our 1st round pick.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                              But who is BPA at #20 and what good is picking then if they get us no closer to winning games than last year? We draft a pass rusher or DB at #20 who is most likely bpa that does nothing for is its the strongest areas of our team. We draft a RB at #20 what good is it if he cant get out the backfield without contact. We could draft a TE or a WR just another player to get overlooked because our QB cant stay upright long enough go make his reads.

Cam Robinson Forrest lamp both have played tackle at a very high level in college and we need to get them on the team with our 1st round pick.
                              I have to agree with this. We have to start getting solid at the line before assuming a rookie RB can dominate behind a similar line like last year
                              Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Working...
                              X