CMAC guarantee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMAC guarantee?

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline hears that Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey may be declining private workout attempts because "he has received a draft guarantee from a team presently selecting in the teens."
    It was reported on Sunday by Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio that McCaffrey has turned down all private workout requests. Pauline writes that "[t]he story circulating from insiders" is that the 6-foot, 202-pounder may have already received assurances of a sturdy, mid-first round selection. The Saints (11), Browns (12), Eagles (14) and Colts (15) are among the teams drafting in the teens who could use a running back

Psssh he's trying to get into a range where we can nab him.
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
      Psssh he's trying to get into a range where we can nab him.
      Maybe he's gonna pull an Elway and decline any team that drafts him so he can become a Bronco.
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Just talking in generalities, I don't know if it's smart for any player to turn down a private workout in the draft process. It's a chance for teams to get to know you up close and for position coaches to get a look at you up close and see how you move. It probably doesn't majorly hurt draft status for a player who's such a high prospect, but it could drive some teams away.

I'm also not sure I'd believe any draft guarantees, too many variables happen in a draft and too many things could pop up. If a high pick has an Arron Rodgers like fall and all of a sudden the team that gave him the guarantee gets the chance at a player they covet more, but didn't think they'd get a shot at, now they select him, and all of a sudden the guarantee means nothing.

With McCaffrey specifically, he did make his private visits, so teams got another chance to talk to him personally, so I'm not sure the lack of private workouts will matter. And there seem to be several teams (Philly, Tampa and Denver) linked closely enough to him where I think he should be guaranteed of going in the top 20, without any guarantee being needed.

Comment

This whole "draft guarantee" thing has Dan Snyder written all over it.

Comment

This whole "guarantee" thing seems like a smokescreen. Teams put out rumors they have strong interest in a player (without actually having any) to see if they can get someone else to trade up for him. I wouldn't trust any guarantees, unless they were in a legal written contract. I've never heard of that happening with a middle-of-round pick. I'm not even sure if this is within league and/or CBA guidelines. It could be CMac doesn't want to work out for anyone anymore for fear of injury. I would not blame him for having that concern.
            sigpic

Comment

I wonder if this includes meetings? I get it if it's just workouts.

Comment

No other players stock has risen for no reason he has a great team around him pushing him up the board. I hope some team saves us from ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                  No other players stock has risen for no reason he has a great team around him pushing him up the board. I hope some team saves us from ourselves.
                  Is today opposite day?
                  What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                  I don't know and I don't care

Comment

I'm sure CMac is getting good advice from his dad and that they both probably feel that the risk for injury compared to being drafted in the first round without private workouts is something they considered when making this decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Diggs4 View Post
                      I wonder if this includes meetings? I get it if it's just workouts.
                      No, he took the meetings, but declined to workout for teams privately during these meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
                        This whole "guarantee" thing seems like a smokescreen. Teams put out rumors they have strong interest in a player (without actually having any) to see if they can get someone else to trade up for him. I wouldn't trust any guarantees, unless they were in a legal written contract. I've never heard of that happening with a middle-of-round pick. I'm not even sure if this is within league and/or CBA guidelines. It could be CMac doesn't want to work out for anyone anymore for fear of injury. I would not blame him for having that concern.
                        What I think "guarantee" means, is that the Browns found a team to trade down with. If not the Browns, then it was the 49ers.

I've read that both teams were "open for business" to trade down. Both teams need more picks because they both have many problem areas.

IMO, it could be Indy or the Bucs, but I am leaning towards Indy.
                        Last edited by haciendadad; 04-17-2017, 07:36 PM.
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

I think it's pretty common for players expected to go high to stand on their combine numbers and not risk getting hurt
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

There's too much smokescreen at this point. Just like Paxton Lynch could go to the 49ers at #7, to the Browns at #8 or to the Saints at #12. Nope. Even the Jets, desperate for a QB, passed on Lynch at #20. A bunch of crap starts flying, especially during the week of the draft. Remember when Mario Edwards was a surprise riser and could sneak into the top 20 in 2015? Not a chance.

And McCaffrey is not the only one. Haason Reddick is getting a lot of hype, going from late 1 to top 15. Gareon Conley is another "riser". Pat Mahomes "won't get past Houston". Solomon Thomas is suddenly viewed as a top-2 pick and I can't understand why people like him so much. As always, a lot of assumptions won't materialize on draft day.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                              Is today opposite day?
                              He went from early second to late first after the combine. Then all of a sudden for no reason he was considered better than dalvin cook despite the tape and stats showing otherwise and he started going in the 20's and late teens. Then Daniel Jeremiah for no reason mocks him to the saints who will be taking the best secondary player on the board with that pick no doubt. Now that he visited the panthers people are running wild with these top 10 speculations not even acknowledging the fact that a team like the panthers picks again at #40 and has an additional second to trade back in the late first if he were still on the board. Alot of these teams that pick in the top 10 or top 5 that visit with him have the juice to move back into the late first. Every now and again you get a team that pulls a heyward bey or Tyson alualu. I just hope we are not one of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X