Broncos Cap Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Cap Space

Can somebody please breakdown what out cap looks if we add another piece this year (veteran on waivers). I know its smart to grade your team going into the midway point of the year and see if you can get a seasoned veteran like we just did with Rubin and was wondering what our overall cap looks like? I say this because Im still super concerned with the offensive line and would like to add another capable depth piece. (John Greco please)

I remember 3-4 years ago they went on a FA spending binge with Ware, Manning, Ward, Talib, ect and we were pretty strapped for cash for the past couple years meaning we couldnt sign any big name offensive or defensive line help and had to let Jackson, Trevathan and now Ward walk because we just couldnt afford anybody.

Going into next year, I noticed that we dont have any huge contracts to pay and the only notable expiring in Virgil Green who we drafted Jake Butt to replace. Given that, next year will we officially be out of cap purgatory that the 2013 offseason put us in and will we be able to spend to shore up the offensive line like we did with Leary? Or will everybody be out of our price range still and have to settle for 'value' guys. Im not looking for if we can have another repeat of the 2013 cash spend offseason, but it would be nice to know we can go grab a really good player if one is available.

Just looking for a little breakdown of how we are looking and where we can go from here.
    Last edited by ChampPik4Six; 09-19-2017, 07:52 PM.

According to spotrac as of right now we will have a little over 17 but that's counting Talib who I think will be approached about a restructure and it also has Roby's 5th year option, if he gets a new contract it could be a lower amount for that year. Also there's that clause in DT's contract

I think we could go with 1 marquee free agent and some solid depth players or get 2 of the bigger names out there and pretty much be done with free agency. I think the first option is what will happen but because we will probably get outbid on a 2nd player.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
      According to spotrac as of right now we will have a little over 17 but that's counting Talib who I think will be approached about a restructure and it also has Roby's 5th year option, if he gets a new contract it could be a lower amount for that year. Also there's that clause in DT's contract

I think we could go with 1 marquee free agent and some solid depth players or get 2 of the bigger names out there and pretty much be done with free agency. I think the first option is what will happen but because we will probably get outbid on a 2nd player.
      Right, I didnt notice that about DTs contract but it seems like he is essentially locked up for only the 2018 season. Im just trying to see what the direction here is and after looking at it all---it seems like after 2019 is going to be a massive overhaul. Demaryius, Sanders, Talib, Harris, Wolfe and CJ are all expiring then when they are all at that dreaded '30' years or older time Thats kinda sad I can deal with piecing out a guy here and there (like Ward) but a huge purge is something I dont know my emotions can handle lol.

Either way it looks like there is a nice 2 year push remaining with all of these core guys---I didnt know if there was still room to make one big splash next offseason for one more push or not or if we are going to be shopping in the bargain bin like we have done for the past 3 years since that 2013 season handcuffed our cap space.
      Last edited by ChampPik4Six; 09-19-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Not sure how we have $17 million because ive heard and seen that our cap space available is around $12 million. Overthecap is saying the same https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

Comment

What I see in Spotrac says we have $11 million right now.

Comment

It appears you guys are looking at 2017. Not 2018.

Comment

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos

You can look for yourself click on the year..number of players cap space left and figure it out up to 4 years in the future

Next year for instance we have 38 players under contract of 52 and $26,928,794.00 in cap space Draft picks will fill some spots up. Then you can look and see if we cut talib we save 11 million and only take a 1 million dollar cap hit. Sounds crazy but Elway isn't sentimental
              Last edited by Beagle; 09-20-2017, 03:23 PM.
              Originally posted by baphamet
              are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

Comment

Originally posted by ChampPik4Six View Post
                Right, I didnt notice that about DTs contract but it seems like he is essentially locked up for only the 2018 season. Im just trying to see what the direction here is and after looking at it all---it seems like after 2019 is going to be a massive overhaul. Demaryius, Sanders, Talib, Harris, Wolfe and CJ are all expiring then when they are all at that dreaded '30' years or older time Thats kinda sad I can deal with piecing out a guy here and there (like Ward) but a huge purge is something I dont know my emotions can handle lol.

Either way it looks like there is a nice 2 year push remaining with all of these core guys---I didnt know if there was still room to make one big splash next offseason for one more push or not or if we are going to be shopping in the bargain bin like we have done for the past 3 years since that 2013 season handcuffed our cap space.
                We'll keep the players worth keeping, Elway always has done a good job of that. Can't think of many cases of a player leaving and shining. On the other hand, we will have cash to spend, and I feel great about that.
                Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
                  We'll keep the players worth keeping, Elway always has done a good job of that. Can't think of many cases of a player leaving and shining. On the other hand, we will have cash to spend, and I feel great about that.
                  Trevathon and Jackson both shined and hurt us when they left but we had a lot of good players to sign that season Von being number 1
                  Originally posted by baphamet
                  are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
                    Right, people say Talib will be cut next year and I dont see that. His contract expiration is after next season which just so happens to be when Roby is up. I think it lines up perfectly to let Talib play this year and next--then let him walk when hes then 33 years old and sign Roby after his rookie contract is up to a good longterm deal. He will play across from CHJ in the #2 spot for a few years and I think they are hoping Langley can slide into that current Roby role as the #3 given this year and next as prep.

I do think Elway keeps a few like Wolfe and Harris but I can also seeing him let guys like Sanders and Anderson walk as we drafted McKenzie and Henderson to grow into that 2nd WR role opposite of DT. If you really looks at the drafting focus in the early rounds and then look at all the contract expirings in 2019--you can see they have a plan to let their 1-4 round guys develop for 2 years before sliding into roles vacated by older guys they are paying a bunch of money to

Comment

elway is also a killer in free agency.

Comment

Originally posted by ChampPik4Six View Post
                        Right, people say Talib will be cut next year and I dont see that. His contract expiration is after next season which just so happens to be when Roby is up. I think it lines up perfectly to let Talib play this year and next--then let him walk when hes then 33 years old and sign Roby after his rookie contract is up to a good longterm deal. He will play across from CHJ in the #2 spot for a few years and I think they are hoping Langley can slide into that current Roby role as the #3 given this year and next as prep.

I do think Elway keeps a few like Wolfe and Harris but I can also seeing him let guys like Sanders and Anderson walk as we drafted McKenzie and Henderson to grow into that 2nd WR role opposite of DT. If you really looks at the drafting focus in the early rounds and then look at all the contract expirings in 2019--you can see they have a plan to let their 1-4 round guys develop for 2 years before sliding into roles vacated by older guys they are paying a bunch of money to
                        I don't see why we'd let Talib walk. He has not shown any decline in his game. He doesn't have the same jets, but he is a world's better than he was 5 years ago because he is so smart and physicality doesn't deteriorate. If he does slow down too much for corner, a guy who can cover in zone and tackle can make a solid safety.
                        Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

Keep in mind, we may be offering Siemian a contract at the end of this year if this team and he does well. The deeper we go into the playoffs with him at the helm, the price keeps going higher. Or we can just pass on Siemian and keep using rookie QBs and see if we can skate by on the cheap. I'm sold on Siemian, but some never will be and I don't know if those people are also in the FO.
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                            Then you can look and see if we cut talib we save 11 million and only take a 1 million dollar cap hit. Sounds crazy but Elway isn't sentimental
                            While you are correct that Elway isnt sentimental, Elway isnt dumb either. Other than losing a slight step, Talib does not appear to be slowing down. If he keeps going how he has been, paying Talib $11 Mil next season is not unreasonable. No reason for Elway to let him walk.

Our cap for 2018 currently stands a hair under $27 Mil. Cutting Watson and Peko would save $5.3 Mil in cap space, bringing the cap space up to $32.3 Mil.
                            Last edited by kingelway7; 09-21-2017, 08:52 AM.
                            Denver Broncos
                            New York Yankees
                            New York Knicks
                            Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by haciendadad View Post
                              Keep in mind, we may be offering Siemian a contract at the end of this year if this team and he does well. The deeper we go into the playoffs with him at the helm, the price keeps going higher. Or we can just pass on Siemian and keep using rookie QBs and see if we can skate by on the cheap. I'm sold on Siemian, but some never will be and I don't know if those people are also in the FO.
                              Now that Matthew Stafford wont be hitting free agency, I think the best bet may just be to roll with Siemian unless he totally self destructs the longer the season progresses. Or we could always swing for the fences for Kirk Counsins. Not that I would do that, but the option may be there.
                              Denver Broncos
                              New York Yankees
                              New York Knicks
                              Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X