No announcement yet.

Eli Manning or Philip Rivers next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eli Manning or Philip Rivers next year?

With both the Chargers and Giants having terrible years, each might be in a position to grab their QB of the future in the 2018 draft. If either Manning or Rivers were available, should Denver at least kick the tires?

i don't see either team being in a rush to let either one go even if they end up with the #1 pick unless both guys have unrealistic expectations of playing until they are like 50 years old like Brady. But if I had to pick I would take rivers.

Comment

Manning looks close to the end and Rivers has been awful for about 3 years, I'll never understand any fascination with him? Veteran QBs north looking at (if Siemian doesn't lock down the starting job) would begin with Luck and end with Cousins in my opinion.

Comment

No.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          Manning looks close to the end and Rivers has been awful for about 3 years, I'll never understand any fascination with him? Veteran QBs north looking at (if Siemian doesn't lock down the starting job) would begin with Luck and end with Cousins in my opinion.
          What about Brees?

Comment

If I had to pick one it would be Manning. He has ateast come through and played his best ball in the playoffs. Phyllis has choked.But personally, I don't really want either, especially at the price they will cost . I really don't think either are worth it and they would be short term solutions. I'd ratther keep trying to find our future. Maybe CK lights it up next year.
            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Manning has a full no trade clause in his contract. He's not going anywhere.

Expect the Giants to pick his successor who will ride the bench 2-years.

I would not watch the Broncos if Rivers was the QB.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                Manning has a full no trade clause in his contract. He's not going anywhere.

Expect the Giants to pick his successor who will ride the bench 2-years.

I would not watch the Broncos if Rivers was the QB.
                Straight up,

I have been a fan my entire life... a good fan through some dark times.

If Phillip Rivers ever puts on a Denver Jersey- I am done. Thank you, close my tab. Goodnight, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Zealander View Post
                  Straight up,

I have been a fan my entire life... a good fan through some dark times.

If Phillip Rivers ever puts on a Denver Jersey- I am done. Thank you, close my tab. Goodnight, good luck.
                  Why so much disdain for Rivers? Yes, he's been a thorn in our side for years. So was Neil Smith of the Chiefs, yet we brought him over. That turned out pretty well.

Comment

There is the Mike McCoy connection with Philip Rivers, so I can understand the OP's premise. Denver's roster currently has six players 30 or older. If Rivers was on it, he would be the oldest. Denver has four young QBs at the moment. They seem to be inclined to develop young players. It would surprise me if Denver acquired Philip Rivers next year because he is under contract to the Chargers through 2019 north of $20 million per year. That's about four times more than all of Denver's QBs combined.

As far as being picky about Philip in a Bronco suit, I'm not. After having seen the twelve QBs in the decade between Frank Tripucka and Charley Johnson, I'll watch anybody. I watched Tebow, ... so there.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I’d take Rivers just because he never really has the talent around him because everyone gets hurt. His top receiver is usually hurt. Mike Williams and their oline are hurt this year. But if Brees was the third option I would take him in a heartbeat. Sign him to a 3 year deal with an opt out after 2 years. In that time frame maybe a Chad Kelley can learn or we can find our true future QB.

Comment

The most realistic poach option is probably Kirk Cousins-- and that'd still be pretty damn tough

Rivers does want out too though. And he respects Denver and likes the city.

I'm a big Trevor fan but I'd have to love Cousins or Rivers too

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                          What about Brees?
                          IMO he's too old. He's playing okay this year but he's at the age where he's going to fall off a cliff quickly. Even if he doesn't he's a very short term solution. Cousins and Luck are both QBs with a lot of years left, so you'd be fixing the QB situation (assuming it needs fixing still at the end of the year) for at least 5 years, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                            What about Brees?
                            Father time always gets his man. Brees is playing well now, but as we saw with Peyton, Father time strikes quick and is very effective.
                            sigpic

Comment

By the end of the season it is likely either Andy Dalton or AJ McCarron will be looking for a new home. If Cincinnati stays with Dalton, McCarron could demand a trade. If they move to McCarron, they would look to unload Dalton.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X