No announcement yet.

Nick Foles? (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foles would be kicking the can down the road and that would be a gold plated can. IMO, we should bring in BLM and roll w/him and CK. Mitchell looks like he has the stronger arm of the two and I'm not sure CK could go to the CFL and win 2 championships like BLM has. But NF will be an expensive and risky bridge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
      I don’t think Philly can keep him as a $20 million dollar backup
      Why not? Wentz is still on his rookie contract.

Brees, Stafford and Cousins will all have a higher cap hit in 2019 than Wentz+20m Foles

Shoot Philly can get Wentz, Foles and one of their starting guards for the same cap hit Brees is taking up.

Now 2020 after Wentz gets a serious cap raise...this will be a very different discussion.
      Last edited by Hadez; 02-03-2019, 12:20 PM.
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
        Which doesn't make any sense to me because they (from what I heard) are only asking a 3rd. If they just let him walk they get a 3rd compensatory pick for him. Do him a solid and let him hand pick where he wants to go. I'm sure they will make sure he is ok with where they are trading him but in FA he can get the highest dollar
        I think at best philly is just entertaining offers hoping to get something ridiculous presented that is impossible to say no.

Most trade stories never come to pass this time of year. Lots of fishing and misdirection leading up to the draft in the NFL every year.

Philly wants Foles at 20 m (least in 2019) and from everything I have read Foles is very particular who he plays for this point in his career. There is a very good chance if a trade is done Foles will retire if he does not like the team and coaching staff imo.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• With Foles salary the Eagles are estimated to be ~19M above the cap. I am not sure how this works? If they can't trade him they will be waaay over the cap. They will have to do a lot of cuts to get under the cap if they end up keeping him. It does not look like they can keep him with their present roster.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
            With Foles salary the Eagles are estimated to be ~19M above the cap. I am not sure how this works? If they can't trade him they will be waaay over the cap. They will have to do a lot of cuts to get under the cap if they end up keeping him. It does not look like they can keep him with their present roster.
            Technically they can't trade him until after the league year begins in March, and they need to be under the cap as soon at the very start of the league year. So they'll need to rework contracts and cut players to be under the cap ahead of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              IMO people keep considering things Foles would do without actually knowing the things Foles has gone through.

IMO Foles would stay in Philly for less than 20 mil. He almost retired from football because of the experiences he went through with teams/head coaches that did not work out. From what I have seen Foles would rather be a 20 mil backup at Philly than a higher paid starter on more than 20 NFL teams

I suppose people can keep hoping their projected desire to be a starter and get higher pay and/or their desire to see Foles on another team can lead to cool stories bro :thumb:
              Foles is in a good situation because either way he’ll get paid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                Technically they can't trade him until after the league year begins in March, and they need to be under the cap as soon at the very start of the league year. So they'll need to rework contracts and cut players to be under the cap ahead of time.
                Thanks for the info. I guess they could be working a deal to do first thing on day the league year begins? Or they will have to do a lot of work on contracts, a lot of them have heavy dead cap too.
                I have to spread around CPs ... thanks
                sigpic

Comment

• If their goal is to trade him he would be smart to use his buy out option. No use in wanting your future team losing picks

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                    The story now is that they will tag and trade Foles.
                    They don't have the money to pick up his $20M option OR to tag/trade him. They have to have the money free against the cap to make those moves BEFORE they do them. Right now they are $18 milion OVER the cap with foles $20m option. So if they want to keep him in order to trade him, they're going to have to cut other players.

They simply don't have the money to make Foles work without sacrificing a lot.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                      They don't have the money to pick up his $20M option OR to tag/trade him. They have to have the money free against the cap to make those moves BEFORE they do them. Right now they are $18 milion OVER the cap with foles $20m option. So if they want to keep him in order to trade him, they're going to have to cut other players.

They simply don't have the money to make Foles work without sacrificing a lot.
                      Probably for the best.
                      It would be unfortunate for the team that traded for him. Could you image trading a premium pick, AND handing a big contract to Foles? LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
                        Probably for the best.
                        It would be unfortunate for the team that traded for him. Could you image trading a premium pick, AND handing a big contract to Foles? LOL
                        $20M isn't a "big contract"

I know people seem confused and think that, but it isn't the case. It WAS a big contract a few years ago when manning was here, but there are a lot of QB's making around that dollar amount.

There are 22 QB's in the league making above or right about $20M. The ones not making that much are basically all rookies and Andy Dalton.
                        sigpic

Comment

$20M isn't a "big contract"

I know people seem confused and think that, but it isn't the case. It WAS a big contract a few years ago when manning was here, but there are a lot of QB's making around that dollar amount.

There are 22 QB's in the league making above or right about $20M. The ones not making that much are basically all rookies and Andy Dalton.
                          So we would just trade for Foles and not try to sign him to a longer deal? 😂

$20 mil/year IS a big contract for a player like Foles. He is a career back who does best when he doesn’t need to be counted on for a full season. He’s has proven to be a great spot starter, no more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
                            So we would just trade for Foles and not try to sign him to a longer deal? ��

$20 mil/year IS a big contract for a player like Foles. He is a career back who does best when he doesn’t need to be counted on for a full season. He’s has proven to be a great spot starter, no more.
                            He's won a superbowl...How many "backups" have done that recently. He's also taken two teams to the playoffs. Something again, not many backups have done. Brady was a backup too, should the Patriots have gone back to Bledsoe?

He's proven more than a lot of starting NFL QB's have and yet people still writing him off...
                            sigpic

Comment

He's won a superbowl...How many "backups" have done that recently. He's also taken two teams to the playoffs. Something again, not many backups have done. Brady was a backup too, should the Patriots have gone back to Bledsoe?

He's proven more than a lot of starting NFL QB's have and yet people still writing him off...
                              Because he’s not a franchise QB, pretty simple. He is a very inconsistent backup. He has the ability to play really good or really bad. He’s not worth $20 mil/ year and/or a pick.

Comment

Funny you mention that, because so many people have forgotten that Brady was injured early in the AFC Championship Game that year and Bledsoe came in and won the game for them. And then leading up to that Super Bowl there was the debate over which QB should start.

Comment

Working...
                                X