Nick Foles? (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    Is has an option for 3 more years after the first two.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelp...ck-foles-9898/
    It voids if he’s still on the roster though. They’ll still have to negotiate a new contract with him if they really want him back

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      If they're going with a draft choice, might not be a bad option to bring Osweiler back. He's been under Manning for years, and know's what the NFL (good and bad) are about. And Lynch openly said that he had no one to learn under until Oweiler was signed and started to attempt to teach him about being a pro.
      That's cool to know.

But Lynch sucks. Would rather we keep Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
        That's cool to know.

This article doesn't really tell us what we already know but I thought how it started was interesting........

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headli...ticleId=498402

Elway, Broncos work through “process” of evaluating Baker Mayfield, Josh*Allen
        Posted by Mike Florio on January 24, 2018, 6:11 PM EST

The Broncos need a franchise quarterback. They know it, everyone knows it.
        And their primary options include:

(1) hoping that Paxton Lynch can become a franchise quarterback; (2) signing or trading for a veteran; and (3) drafting a rookie.
        With the offseason unfolding rapidly, the Broncos are getting a close look at two of the quarterbacks in the draft pool, Baker Mayfield (pictured) and Josh Allen, thanks to the fact that the Broncos’ coaches are handling one of the two teams in the game, and that Mayfield and Allen are assigned to the team Denver’s coaches are coaching.

“They look good,” Broncos G.M. John Elway told reporters regarding the two quarterbacks. “It’s always hard coming down and throwing to people you are not familiar with and new routes. I thought the first two days have been really good. Very strong arms, so it’s been fun to watch.”
        The Broncos specifically asked for Mayfield to be assigned to their team.

“We wanted to have an opportunity to get to meet him,” Elway said. “Obviously we’ve seen what everyone else has seen, what he can do on the field and the type of player that he is. To be able to be around him and get to know him a little bit was important.”

Coach Vance Joseph was asked to give his assessment of the two quarterbacks after two days of practice.

“Josh Allen has a wonderful throwing arm,” Joseph told reporters. “He made some big-time throws today. He’s in command of the huddle. That was good to see. Mayfield also made some big-time throws. All four quarterbacks have played well and have made some nice throws.”
        Joseph has no issue with the way Mayfield carries himself.

“Obviously his confidence and his swagger could spell some certain things with him, but I like that,” Joseph said. “I want a guy with confidence. I want a guy with swagger because it’s a hard league. Guys can get broke by this league. I want a guy with great swagger and great confidence in his own abilities.”

So how do Mayfield and Allen compare?

“I think we’re still in the process,” Elway said. “At the end, hopefully by April 25th, we have everything figured out and know which direction we’re going to go. But now we’re in the middle of the process. We’re three weeks out from the end of last season. This is all part of the process of trying to learn as much we can about everybody. As time goes on, we’ll continue to work on them and study each one of them. By the time we get to the draft, we’ll have them ranked and go from there. It’s all part of the process.”

Of course, by the time April 25 rolls around, the assessment of the quarterbacks may not matter, because the Broncos may have already filled the void with a veteran player. For now, the best move is to keep the options as wide open as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
          That's cool to know.

Wasn't commenting on either of the two, was commenting on the fact that Osweiler might be a good veteran backup to keep around if Denver is going to draft the next starter at 5. And if they pick a QB at 5, Kelly and Lynch are really just fighting for the possibility of being 3rd string, or looking good enough where someone else might take a shot on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note;567TO 1856
            Wasn't commenting on either of the two, was commenting on the fact that Osweiler might be a good veteran backup to keep around if Denver is going to draft the next starter at 5. And if they pick a QB at 5, Kelly and Lynch are really just fighting for the possibility of being 3rd string, or looking good enough where someone else might take a shot on them.
            I know that's why I said "that's cool" that Os was doing that

Comment

No to Foles - we’d be buying at an all time high. His value will be way over inflated.

Comment

The reasons I see Foles being a possibility are:

1) He's a vet. Players like Von aren't going to want to play for a rookie QB and wait for him to develop.

2) He's proven he can succeed with a good team. Even if he is just a Jeff Hostetler caliber QB, that might be good enough for us.

3) He shouldn't be terribly expensive. With our cap issues, getting someone like Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith would be difficult.
                Last edited by Hph5; 01-25-2018, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                  I’d pass on him. I personally don’t think he is all that great. He has fit well with the eagles but there is a reason he was let go/ walked away from Eagles, Rams, and KC. I live in Philly and watched too many of his game. I just don’t think he could turn our team around. We need something fresh or top tier imo
                  Eagles fan...was curious about how this topic would be viewed.

In Foles defense, Chip kelly isn't exactly the most keen NFL talent evaluator, and his system was not exactly consistent. This is the same guy who traded McCoy away for a bag of donuts, without the bag...cut Desean Jackson and gave a 2nd AND Foles at 1mm for Bradford at 12mm. The Rams were just a mess, and Jeff Fisher wasn't known for maximizing QB assets. KC wanted a younger QB to start molding more than they rejected FOles. Most QBs are system fits to some extent, though that may be more the case with Foles.

I don't really see how Philly can trade him given the uncertainty around Wentz's return. That said, if they did, I'd imagine his value is maybe late 2nd/early 3rd? So hard to say with QBs.

If it were me as GM...I'd go for Cousins. That guy plays with guts, smarts and style...and he's done that on some uninspiring teams. Or I'd move up and go after Rosen and go for maybe Bradford as a bridge. I'll say this...I like him more than your QB BO. That guy is just a total turd.

Perhaps. But again Philly would need to weigh that v the fact they might need a QB ready to play in September. But they do have cap issues, so being able to add young cheap players could interest them. I just hope it's not Denver giving up the pick for him.
                  Cap issues and a lack of draft capital as well. I'm still confused about why we resigned Peters to a three year deal this off season...that made NO sense.

Still...given the insecurity around Wentz...I don't see how they can trade him.
                  Last edited by PhillyFoles; 01-30-2018, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyFoles View Post

In Foles defense, Chip kelly isn't exactly the most keen NFL talent evaluator, and his system was not exactly consistent. This is the same guy who traded McCoy away for a bag of donuts, without the bag...cut Desean Jackson and gave a 2nd AND Foles at 1mm for Bradford at 12mm. The Rams were just a mess, and Jeff Fisher wasn't known for maximizing QB assets. KC wanted a younger QB to start molding more than they rejected FOles. Most QBs are system fits to some extent, though that may be more the case with Foles.

I don't really see how Philly can trade him given the uncertainty around Wentz's return. That said, if they did, I'd imagine his value is maybe late 2nd/early 3rd? So hard to say with QBs.

If it were me as GM...I'd go for Cousins. That guy plays with guts, smarts and style...and he's done that on some uninspiring teams. Or I'd move up and go after Rosen and go for maybe Bradford as a bridge. I'll say this...I like him more than your QB BO. That guy is just a total turd.

Cap issues and a lack of draft capital as well. I'm still confused about why we resigned Peters to a three year deal this off season...that made NO sense.

I agree that Philly would be wise to keep him for another year just to make sure Wentz is back to full strength. An ACL tear isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, but still. After that, it would depend on what the Eagles were offered for him. His value will skyrocket if he plays well in the SB. It will also depend on what Foles wants to do. He seems to have a pretty good thing going in Philly. Would he trade that for a chance to start somewhere else? I know this. You guys currently have the best QB situation in the NFL. I envy you. Anyway, good luck in the SB. I would love to see the Eagles smash the Pats.

Comment

Thanks geron! I don't think Foles has that much value...not with a fair number of free agents and potential targets. There's enough tape on him where I think most people will understand he's a bridge/short term fix rather than a guy to double down on. But...you never know, and in the NFL your high bid competition isn't usually a well run team, it's a poorly run team. Or a team that needs SOMETHING to sell its fan base, even if they know it's a pig with lip stick. Neither of those are Denver...which is extremely well run, and with a smart, loyal fan base that knows what a franchise QB looks like.

I'd say an early 3rd is more than fair given his background. Still...fair and makes sense for Philly to do it may be very different animals. Like you said...ACLs are pretty serious, and I don't think you can take him being ready in Sept. for granted. Wentz is also reckless...it's part of what makes him great, but it's a bit scary at the same time. This is a guy who lowers his helmet and blocks for RBs.

I think Cousins is the real deal and a guy who can win. He's also TOUGH. Bradford can be that when he's playing, but we all know how that goes. Me...I'd go for Cousins if I thought I was "there". As far as the guys in this draft, I think it's Rosen and then everyone else. He's getting crapped on because he's bright and some football people are stupid, and want other people like them. That's crap. The NCAA is a total sham. Rosen was 100% right about what he said. Elway mouths off about politics...doesn't seem to ruin him as a GM. I've never seen so many people so desperate to smear a decent kid out of such pettiness.

Now would Rosen and Elway be a good fit? I don't know. Elway seems to have selective memory about his own arrogance when he played and I'd bet there's a lot of common ground (and greatness Elway would recognize and help draw out). You'd think they'd find a way to work together if they wanted to. If I were in the AFC West, and saw Denver draft Rosen, I'd be AFRAID.
                      Last edited by PhillyFoles; 01-30-2018, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks geron! I don't think Foles has that much value...not with a fair number of free agents and potential targets. There's enough tape on him where I think most people will understand he's a bridge/short term fix rather than a guy to double down on. But...you never know, and in the NFL your high bid competition isn't usually a well run team, it's a poorly run team. Or a team that needs SOMETHING to sell its fan base, even if they know it's a pig with lip stick. Neither of those are Denver...which is extremely well run, and with a smart, loyal fan base that knows what a franchise QB looks like.

I'd say an early 3rd is more than fair given his background. Still...fair and makes sense for Philly to do it may be very different animals. Like you said...ACLs are pretty serious, and I don't think you can take him being ready in Sept. for granted. Wentz is also reckless...it's part of what makes him great, but it's a bit scary at the same time. This is a guy who lowers his helmet and blocks for RBs.

I think Cousins is the real deal and a guy who can win. He's also TOUGH. Bradford can be that when he's playing, but we all know how that goes. Me...I'd go for Cousins if I thought I was "there". As far as the guys in this draft, I think it's Rosen and then everyone else. He's getting crapped on because he's bright and some football people are stupid, and want other people like them. That's crap. The NCAA is a total sham. Rosen was 100% right about what he said. Elway mouths off about politics...doesn't seem to ruin him as a GM. I've never seen so many people so desperate to smear a decent kid out of such pettiness.

Now would Rosen and Elway be a good fit? I don't know. Elway seems to have selective memory about his own arrogance when he played and I'd bet there's a lot of common ground (and greatness Elway would recognize and help draw out). You'd think they'd find a way to work together if they wanted to. If I were in the AFC West, and saw Denver draft Rosen, I'd be AFRAID.
                        Cousins would be my first choice as well. He'll cost a ton, but we'll have our QB for the next 5-8 years. If we don't land him, Rosen would be the guy I want most in the draft. He's the best pure passer and the most pro ready. I'm more worried about his injuries than I am his political views. Darnold and Mayfield would also be good choices. The one guy I question is Allen. Some think he's the next Wentz, but I don't know. Elway seems to love QBs like him. It will definitely be an interesting off season.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                          Cousins would be my first choice as well. He'll cost a ton, but we'll have our QB for the next 5-8 years. If we don't land him, Rosen would be the guy I want most in the draft. He's the best pure passer and the most pro ready. I'm more worried about his injuries than I am his political views. Darnold and Mayfield would also be good choices. The one guy I question is Allen. Some think he's the next Wentz, but I don't know. Elway seems to love QBs like him. It will definitely be an interesting off season.
                          For sure.

I'll say this...as an Eagles fan...I'd be glad to see Cousins out of the division. Which is a mark of respect. I think that guy is better than people appreciate.

Comment

Just wanted to comment on Wentz, I absolutely loe what I've seen from that kid this year. Not just how good he was on the field, but since he's been hurt how he's there on the sidelines talking to Foles and looking at photos with him after every drive. Such great leadership from a young player, he's going to be a really good one, the Eagles are set for a long time there.

Now hopefully you can go win a Super Bowl on Sunday!

Comment

Just wanted to comment on Wentz, I absolutely loe what I've seen from that kid this year. Not just how good he was on the field, but since he's been hurt how he's there on the sidelines talking to Foles and looking at photos with him after every drive. Such great leadership from a young player, he's going to be a really good one, the Eagles are set for a long time there.

Now hopefully you can go win a Super Bowl on Sunday!
                              Thanks man! You know I'm hoping...but the Pats are scary.

I'm one of the (very few) Eagle fans who liked Dougie P from the get go...so this has been really fun...with a lot of "told you so!"

Comment

Thanks man! You know I'm hoping...but the Pats are scary.

I'm one of the (very few) Eagle fans who liked Dougie P from the get go...so this has been really fun...with a lot of "told you so!"
                                This is Philly's year. Pats are going down!!!

..Big Foles fan, watched him all the way through college.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X