This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Diggs4 View Post
    I like Nelson, but I think you have to ask yourself...

Is the gap between Nelson and Will Hernandez SO LARGE that there is no way you'd consider finding a way to secure Hernandez in the 2nd so you could flirt with taking the BPA at 5? (not saying Nelson isnt the BPA there just hang with me)

I'm just gonna throw out a few 1st and 2nd round combos to see if I make sense on the picture I'm trying to paint.

A) 1st Round: Quenton Nelson 2nd Round: Sony Michel

B) 1st Round: Roquan Smith 2nd Round: Will Hernandez

C) 1st Round: Saquon Barkey 2nd Round: Will Hernandez

I don't have the answers, but I do think you have to look at depth of the whole draft and think big picture in all the rounds...
    I would be ok with A or B but prefer A. Nelson dominated at the highest level and Hernandez is a projection at that based on his competition. We will see how he does at the senior bowl.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 01-15-2018, 07:03 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
      Link please???
      It’s at the bottom of the post where is says source.
      sigpic

Comment

Link please???
        There is literally a link at the bottom of my post. Please read before responding.

Comment

You don't judge a oline just on sack given up duh...run game....qb hits....
          sacks given up and yards per carry are 2 of the most if not the most important stats for an o-line.
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
            If I had to guess today, I think Elway will take an o-lineman at #5, but it won't be the guard. It will be Mike McGlinchey. QB in free agency, Leary and McGovern (or a draft/FA upgrade) at guard, McGlinchey and Bolles at OT.
            I like McGlinchey, but I don't think he's the dominant force Nelson is. Yes, OT is a more important position, but I'm not not sure he measures up to other OT prospects who have been selected with a top 5 pick. If we trade down and get him that would be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diggs4 View Post
              I like Nelson, but I think you have to ask yourself...

Is the gap between Nelson and Will Hernandez SO LARGE that there is no way you'd consider finding a way to secure Hernandez in the 2nd so you could flirt with taking the BPA at 5? (not saying Nelson isnt the BPA there just hang with me)

I'm just gonna throw out a few 1st and 2nd round combos to see if I make sense on the picture I'm trying to paint.

A) 1st Round: Quenton Nelson 2nd Round: Sony Michel

B) 1st Round: Roquan Smith 2nd Round: Will Hernandez

C) 1st Round: Saquon Barkey 2nd Round: Will Hernandez

I don't have the answers, but I do think you have to look at depth of the whole draft and think big picture in all the rounds...
              Trade back 5 or 6 spots grab another 2nd take mcglinchey, then draft Billy price and Sony Michel in the 2nd.

Of course we are all just assuming we grab a vet qb.
              Last edited by Alaskajoe; 01-17-2018, 05:37 AM.
              I need more Oline, please and thank you

Comment

• Just watched Nelsons highlight tape again and this Kid is Nasty in the run game. He finishes every block thru the whistle. The Combo of Bolles and Nelson could be special, "The Nasty Boys". I just don't see them taking him at #5, especially since Kubiac and Elway have a history of winning with late round OGs.
                "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

Comment

• Originally posted by munoz1987 View Post
                  Just watched Nelsons highlight tape again and this Kid is Nasty in the run game. He finishes every block thru the whistle. The Combo of Bolles and Nelson could be special, "The Nasty Boys". I just don't see them taking him at #5, especially since Kubiac and Elway have a history of winning with late round OGs.
                  Aside from Paradis, who’s a center, what OG have Elway / Kubes picked in the late rounds?

Comment

• Originally posted by montee2ball View Post
                    Aside from Paradis, who’s a center, what OG have Elway / Kubes picked in the late rounds?
                    Their best guards were FAs, such as Louis Vasquez and Evan Mathis.

Comment

Originally posted by montee2ball View Post
                      both those guys were 3rd picks.
                      Elway Super bowl winning teams: Neil(3rd round) and Schlereth(10th round)
                      Kubiack HC career: Highest drafted OG 3rd Round, Brandon Brooks(pro-bowler with eagles this year)
                      "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

Comment

both those guys were 3rd picks.
                        Elway Super bowl winning teams: Neil(3rd round) and Schlereth(10th round)
                        Kubiack HC career: Highest drafted OG 3rd Round, Brandon Brooks(pro-bowler with eagles this year)
                        Those 2 were free agents as was Schlereth
                        sigpic

Comment

that's pretty bad for the best 2 but they were FA too.
                          sigpic

Comment

Just watched Nelsons highlight tape again and this Kid is Nasty in the run game. He finishes every block thru the whistle. The Combo of Bolles and Nelson could be special, "The Nasty Boys". I just don't see them taking him at #5, especially since Kubiac and Elway have a history of winning with late round OGs.
                            By "late round", do you mean 5th, 6th, 7th rounds?

Connor McGovern was 5th round #144 in 2016, but he just became a starter this past season due to Leary's injury.

Matt Paradis was 6th round #207 in 2014.

Vinston Painter was 6th round #173 in 2013. He's a backup OL with his fourth team now.

Eric Olsen was 6th round #183 in 2010. He never started for Denver and went to a couple of other teams and is out of football now.

Blake Schleuter was 7th round #225 in 2009 and never caught on anywhere.

Chris Kuper was 5th round #161 in 2006.

Chris Myers was 6th round #200 in 2005 and was traded to Houston where he played for Kubiak for six years at the Center position.

In Houston, Kubiak drafted Kasey Studdard in the 6th round #183 in 2007 and he had 14 starts in 2009.

Kubiak drafted Shelley Smith in the 6th round #187 in 2010 and he had eleven starts in a three year career with two other teams.

Kubiak drafted T Derek Newton in the 7th round #214 in 2011 and he had 68 starts in a six year career in Houston.

Kubiak drafted T Nick Mondek in the 6th round #195 in 2012 and he never caught on in the NFL.

Kubiak drafted T David Quessenberry in the 6th round #176 in 2013. He had injury and health problems and was able to return to the Texans' roster late last year.

Unless I have missed someone noteworthy, I conclude that the late rounds (5th, 6th, 7th) of the draft have not been overly productive in finding O-Linemen at least as far as the Broncos and the Texans under Kubiak are concerned. Paradis, Kuper, Myers and Newton have done well in the past. McGovern's future looks promising. I think Denver may need to go higher in the draft for a Guard and Tackle this year.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                              that's pretty bad for the best 2 but they were FA too.
                              To be fair, Louis was very good for a year or two.

Comment

Garcia and McGovern both have center experience. I think Dillon Day may still be on the PS

Comment

Working...
                                X