This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    By "late round", do you mean 5th, 6th, 7th rounds?

Connor McGovern was 5th round #144 in 2016, but he just became a starter this past season due to Leary's injury.

Matt Paradis was 6th round #207 in 2014.

Vinston Painter was 6th round #173 in 2013. He's a backup OL with his fourth team now.

Eric Olsen was 6th round #183 in 2010. He never started for Denver and went to a couple of other teams and is out of football now.

Blake Schleuter was 7th round #225 in 2009 and never caught on anywhere.

Chris Kuper was 5th round #161 in 2006.

Chris Myers was 6th round #200 in 2005 and was traded to Houston where he played for Kubiak for six years at the Center position.

In Houston, Kubiak drafted Kasey Studdard in the 6th round #183 in 2007 and he had 14 starts in 2009.

Kubiak drafted Shelley Smith in the 6th round #187 in 2010 and he had eleven starts in a three year career with two other teams.

Kubiak drafted T Derek Newton in the 7th round #214 in 2011 and he had 68 starts in a six year career in Houston.

Kubiak drafted T Nick Mondek in the 6th round #195 in 2012 and he never caught on in the NFL.

Kubiak drafted T David Quessenberry in the 6th round #176 in 2013. He had injury and health problems and was able to return to the Texans' roster late last year.

Unless I have missed someone noteworthy, I conclude that the late rounds (5th, 6th, 7th) of the draft have not been overly productive in finding O-Linemen at least as far as the Broncos and the Texans under Kubiak are concerned. Paradis, Kuper, Myers and Newton have done well in the past. McGovern's future looks promising. I think Denver may need to go higher in the draft for a Guard and Tackle this year.
    by late I mean not 1st or 2nd
    "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      Those 2 were free agents as was Schlereth
      goes to prove OGs can be found everywhere but high in the draft
      "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

Comment

By "late round", do you mean 5th, 6th, 7th rounds?

Connor McGovern was 5th round #144 in 2016, but he just became a starter this past season due to Leary's injury.

Matt Paradis was 6th round #207 in 2014.

Vinston Painter was 6th round #173 in 2013. He's a backup OL with his fourth team now.

Eric Olsen was 6th round #183 in 2010. He never started for Denver and went to a couple of other teams and is out of football now.

Blake Schleuter was 7th round #225 in 2009 and never caught on anywhere.

Chris Kuper was 5th round #161 in 2006.

Chris Myers was 6th round #200 in 2005 and was traded to Houston where he played for Kubiak for six years at the Center position.

In Houston, Kubiak drafted Kasey Studdard in the 6th round #183 in 2007 and he had 14 starts in 2009.

Kubiak drafted Shelley Smith in the 6th round #187 in 2010 and he had eleven starts in a three year career with two other teams.

Kubiak drafted T Derek Newton in the 7th round #214 in 2011 and he had 68 starts in a six year career in Houston.

Kubiak drafted T Nick Mondek in the 6th round #195 in 2012 and he never caught on in the NFL.

Kubiak drafted T David Quessenberry in the 6th round #176 in 2013. He had injury and health problems and was able to return to the Texans' roster late last year.

Unless I have missed someone noteworthy, I conclude that the late rounds (5th, 6th, 7th) of the draft have not been overly productive in finding O-Linemen at least as far as the Broncos and the Texans under Kubiak are concerned. Paradis, Kuper, Myers and Newton have done well in the past. McGovern's future looks promising. I think Denver may need to go higher in the draft for a Guard and Tackle this year.
        The same can be said for the rbs that have been drafted after Clinton Portis....we have had no luck on a True RB.
        Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

• Originally posted by munoz1987 View Post
          by late I mean not 1st or 2nd
          OK. I wondered. Some categorize the rounds of the draft as early, mid, late. It is a terminology issue. So, if late is 3rd through 7th, then is 3rd early late and 4th, 5th and 6th mid-late, and 7th is late late? We're talking five rounds here. Are they all equally late?
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• To me it appears that Denver just does not do well drafting Lineman at all. However I think Bolles will break that trend however it looks like Denver build its line in FA. So I would say QB with the number 5 pick.

Comment

goes to prove OGs can be found everywhere but high in the draft

maybe we should go back to having 12 rounds of the draft because you can get good players, like Schlereth, in the 10th round.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                To me it appears that Denver just does not do well drafting Lineman at all. However I think Bolles will break that trend however it looks like Denver build its line in FA. So I would say QB with the number 5 pick.
                They don't do well in FA either in the past 20 years.
                sigpic

Comment

both those guys were 3rd picks.
                  Elway Super bowl winning teams: Neil(3rd round) and Schlereth(10th round)
                  Kubiack HC career: Highest drafted OG 3rd Round, Brandon Brooks(pro-bowler with eagles this year)
                  Ok playing with Elway / Kubes not drafted by them cuz Elway hasn’t hit on late round OGs.

Comment

Woohoo not true.
                    Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

OK. I wondered. Some categorize the rounds of the draft as early, mid, late. It is a terminology issue. So, if late is 3rd through 7th, then is 3rd early late and 4th, 5th and 6th mid-late, and 7th is late late? We're talking five rounds here. Are they all equally late?
                      just dont call me LATE for dinner
                      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
                        Woohoo not true.
                        which oline have they done well with? 1 or 2 here and there but overall it's been pretty bad. Tell me which Oline FA they have signed that have been pretty good.
                        sigpic

Comment

2015 with Mathis and Vasquez they did

Comment

• Louis Vasquez was a 1st-Team All-Pro and Pro Bowler in 2013, his first year with the Broncos in that record-setting offense, so I'd say he was a good pick in free agency.

Casey Wiegmann went to his only Pro Bowl after signing with the Broncos in 2008 and was our center when the offense finished 2nd in yards.

I also remember Dan Koppen doing a good job as our center in 2012, though an injury made him retire before the 2013 season.

I think the big problems happened when Elway tried to be cheap with the OTs in free agency, signing disappointing backups from division rivals and expecting those players to turn their careers around.

Elway simply has not taken the RT position seriously in a time when that player has to be as good as the LT in pass protection.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by montee2ball View Post
                              2015 with Mathis and Vasquez they did
                              Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                              Louis Vasquez was a 1st-Team All-Pro and Pro Bowler in 2013, his first year with the Broncos in that record-setting offense, so I'd say he was a good pick in free agency.

Casey Wiegmann went to his only Pro Bowl after signing with the Broncos in 2008 and was our center when the offense finished 2nd in yards.

I also remember Dan Koppen doing a good job as our center in 2012, though an injury made him retire before the 2013 season.

I think the big problems happened when Elway tried to be cheap with the OTs in free agency, signing disappointing backups from division rivals and expecting those players to turn their careers around.

Elway simply has not taken the RT position seriously in a time when that player has to be as good as the LT in pass protection.
                              The Bold, i agree with.

Mathis played 1 year for us and is now out of the league.

Vasquez played 3 years and was marginal for 2 of them, and is also now out of the league.

Casey Wiegmann played decent but only for 2 years

all of those guys were at the ends of their careers and were all short term answers that we are still to fill. And those guys were the best in the last 20 years? What has happened more often than that is we let guys go, and they go on to good careers elsewhere, such as Chris Meyers.
                              sigpic

Comment

And those guys were the best in the last 20 years?
                                I have no idea, I only started to follow the Broncos in 2008.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X