X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -Rod-
    replied
    Nelson won't be a top-5 pick because at least 3 of the top-5 picks will be QBs. However, Nelson is widely considered one of the top-3 players in this draft along with Barkley and Chubb. There is a chance Barkey or Chubb won't go in the top 5 as well because of the QB frenzy.

In 2015, 2 QBs went #1 and #2 and Brandon Scherff, projected as an NFL guard, went #5 overall to play guard for Washington. Nelson is a former tackle, built like a tackle, one of the rare linemen that are really big but not fat, dominated when moved to guard and can play both positions. Even if he won't be taken in the top 5, he should, based on the best players available.

So, in a few years, it will be interesting to compare Nelson to the other players drafted before him.

If Bradley Chubb is not there at #5, Nelson would be my pick. Barkley would be the other option.

Leave a comment:

• Papa-pwn
    replied
    Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    I said guard....a tackle is more important than a guard....I only talking about guard....again he won't be drafted in top 5.
    I agree. Nelson will not be a top 5 pick.

Leave a comment:

• Ear2dastreets
    replied
    Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    By your logic an OT isn't worth it since they dont get the ball back or get sacks. Which you said it wouldn't be an issue if we take one....
    I said guard....a tackle is more important than a guard....I only talking about guard....again he won't be drafted in top 5.

Leave a comment:

• the0rangecrush
    replied
    Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    Wow, this so the best you can do? So if this is the case why isn't any of the teams with the best guard win offense player of the year? Never have and never will. The players you name get the ball back....get sack etc. I'm done with this convo bc I truly feel no way in hell we will pick a guard at the top 5 pick....complete waste of a pick. Wynn or price with be just as good.
    By your logic an OT isn't worth it since they dont get the ball back or get sacks. Which you said it wouldn't be an issue if we take one....

Leave a comment:

• Ear2dastreets
    replied
    Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Sounds like you made a case to get Dline with our first lol
    Lol I was thinking the same thing

Leave a comment:

• Ear2dastreets
    replied
    Let's examine the guards don't impact the game narrative:

The last 3 DPOY were
    Donald
    Mack
    Watt

2 of which play interior DL. They were considered not only impact game changers, but the best players in football defensively. Who blocks those players? The guards, on a majority of occasions. Taking a guy who can stalemate or beat players considered the best defenders is more than a little impact if you ask me. The contracts being given to OG also tend to agree with that point as well.
    Wow, this so the best you can do? So if this is the case why isn't any of the teams with the best guard win offense player of the year? Never have and never will. The players you name get the ball back....get sack etc. I'm done with this convo bc I truly feel no way in hell we will pick a guard at the top 5 pick....complete waste of a pick. Wynn or price with be just as good.

Leave a comment:

• ksubroncosfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I hear what you’re saying with respect to the “game changer”. Lineman can be game changers as well just not as visible as a QB, RB, WR or TE. A great lineman can dominate the opposing player to create the hole for the “game changer”. Or protect the QB for a split second longer to make an accurate throw. A great lineman can wear down a defender over a game to pave the way for a RB. I see what you’re saying and just believe a lineman can also be a game changer.
    Exactly. Some people mistake their inability to recognize the impact of linemen as meaning linemen don’t impact the game.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Manning was a perfectionist. Of course he wants everyone on that offense to be perfect and when they aren’t he was known for calling them out. But he still made them look better. You say how often do Brady and Manning’s come around but ignored that I gave more examples besides Brady and Manning. There are even QBs that I feel like who if were on a bad oline they would still excel like Wentz and even Newton has from time to time but also got punished because he holds it too long or doesn’t slid. Andrew Luck was killing it for 3 years with prob the worst Oline. However, the colts decide to not even bother to help him in those years and he eventually got hurt because of that and trying to do too much.

I’m not saying ignore the oline. I know it’s a problem. I see Denver has slowly been working on it. And still can in this draft but I’ll take the potential game changer over the 1 of 5 piece of the oline
    I hear what you’re saying with respect to the “game changer”. Lineman can be game changers as well just not as visible as a QB, RB, WR or TE. A great lineman can dominate the opposing player to create the hole for the “game changer”. Or protect the QB for a split second longer to make an accurate throw. A great lineman can wear down a defender over a game to pave the way for a RB. I see what you’re saying and just believe a lineman can also be a game changer.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by listopencil View Post
    This is me trying to enjoy Christmas snacks after we missed the playoffs, thinking about the O-Line instead:

Keep thinking about the O-line while we take the cupcakes

Leave a comment:

• the0rangecrush
    replied
    Not really

Leave a comment:

• Murph2432
    replied

The last 3 DPOY were
    Donald
    Mack
    Watt

2 of which play interior DL. They were considered not only impact game changers, but the best players in football defensively. Who blocks those players? The guards, on a majority of occasions. Taking a guy who can stalemate or beat players considered the best defenders is more than a little impact if you ask me. The contracts being given to OG also tend to agree with that point as well.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied

The last 3 DPOY were
    Donald
    Mack
    Watt

People like stats, they want to see their draft pick score touchdowns, and feel good about it. They don't realize that Nelson won't score touchdowns but he can improve things so that Henderson, Booker and RB3 can score more touchdowns. Nelson improves a short yardage situation that's been a disaster for about 15 years, whereas an RB gets met in the backfield because they didn't improve the interior when they had the chance.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by Narco View Post
    Nelson wouldn't be a difference maker. With Leary back at his natural LG spot and McGovern playing at RG, which he did very well last season, where would Nelson fit? Guard isn't a glaring need on the Oline. Draft Nelson and maybe he's a tad bit better than McGovern or maybe not, point is a guard isn't going to be the dofference between winning and losing.
    I disagree. Look at Garcia last year, he was a turnstile, and a poor guard gives the D-line a direct path to the QB, if you have only a poor RT the QB can step up into the pocket. McGovern looked okay last year, but in the end he's got just 5 NFL starts, and it's tough to say that he's going to be just fine based on 5 starts at the end of a throw away season. Remember Garcia looked pretty decent at times when he would rotate in during the Super Bowl season, and then the job was his and all of a sudden we saw the results.

The other thing McGovern has is flexibility, he's the backup centre as well. Drafting Nelson allows McGovern to battle with Paradis for that spot. Best case scenario he looks great and wins that job and all of a sudden you've got a completely solid interior on the line. Worst case scenario he doesn't beat Paradis and you've got McGovern as a backup at all 3 interior positions, and he's there to possibly take the centre job in 2019 if they let Paradis go.

Leave a comment:

• the0rangecrush
    replied

The last 3 DPOY were
    Donald
    Mack
    Watt

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    It's too early to say if he'll be good or not, but McGovern is sill very young and has improved tangibly over his first two seasons. Right now he's an average starting guard, there's also the very real possibility he continues to improve; many players make significant jumps in their abilities around their third season. Based on his improvement thus far, adding in a possible year of starting in 2018, I really have high hopes for McGregor(and Bolles too).
    He's the backup centre as well though, given Paradis' contract status, and the drop in his play last season (admittedly coming off of double surgery) one could wonder if McGovern might be able to steal the starting C job away from him?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X