Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasons to draft Quenton Nelson

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Apparently the art of: pull to Trap; pull to Influence; pull to Fold; pull to Lead; pull to Seal; pull to Escort; and, pull to Kickout is a lost and forgotten art. The Lombardi Sweep Series, the Noll Trap Series and The Gibbs Counter Series are just myths?
    Maybe I'm just getting old, but it's hard for me to get players like Gene Upshaw (Highway 63) out of my memory and how he dominated the Broncos for so long. And the best OG I saw was John "Hog" Hannah. He was one of the few OLs I actively watched and he'd consistently blow DLs 5-6 yards off the line of scrimmage.

    But the game has changed with the rules favoring passing more than running like it was back then...so I'm probably living in the past. But if there's a guard that can come close to what Hannah did, I'm all in.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Alaskajoe View Post
      But that's not making plays
      It's forgotten if it requires the 5th overall pick.."IMO"
      We can get the same skill "which IMO doesn't make plays" in moving back to get him.....or 2nd rd....again "IMO"
      Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

      Comment


      • Originally posted by listopencil View Post
        Now I really, really want to draft Quenton Nelson with our fist pick because your meltdown would be epic.
        Oh trust it wouldn't. I would just sit back and watch the fireworks.
        Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

        Comment


        • Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
          Maybe I'm just getting old, but it's hard for me to get players like Gene Upshaw (Highway 63) out of my memory and how he dominated the Broncos for so long. And the best OG I saw was John "Hog" Hannah. He was one of the few OLs I actively watched and he'd consistently blow DLs 5-6 yards off the line of scrimmage.

          But the game has changed with the rules favoring passing more than running like it was back then...so I'm probably living in the past. But if there's a guard that can come close to what Hannah did, I'm all in.
          Which Hannah played tackle and guard at Alabama too...came to the pats and played guard. Gene was picked 17 overall.... even if you say Hannah was a True guard the was pick 4th overall where most of the teams ran...and really no 4k yard passer. That was like 45 years ago...which most of us weren't even born yet.
          Last edited by Ear2dastreets; 01-19-2018, 03:58 AM.
          Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
            Which Hannah played tackle and guard at Alabama too...came to the pats and played guard. Gene was picked 17 overall.... even if you say Hannah was a True guard the was pick 4th overall where most of the teams ran...and really no 4k yard passer. That was like 55 years ago...which most of us weren't even born yet.
            You need to work on your math. And I'm not going on stats I read, I'm going on actually watching the guy. If John Hannah was available now, I wouldn't have any problem drafting him at #5. The question is, is Nelson as good or almost as good? If so, I'd take him. If not, I wouldn't.

            As far as Upshaw, the real question should be how many of the 16 drafted before him had better, more dominate careers?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
              You need to work on your math. And I'm not going on stats I read, I'm going on actually watching the guy. If John Hannah was available now, I wouldn't have any problem drafting him at #5. The question is, is Nelson as good or almost as good? If so, I'd take him. If not, I wouldn't.

              As far as Upshaw, the real question should be how many of the 16 drafted before him had better, more dominate careers?
              You can say that about every draft and every position could you not?
              Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

              Comment


              • Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                Now I really, really want to draft Quenton Nelson with our fist pick because your meltdown would be epic.
                Either that or do you think he'd ghost?
                I need more Oline, please and thank you

                Comment


                • Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                  You need to work on your math. And I'm not going on stats I read, I'm going on actually watching the guy. If John Hannah was available now, I wouldn't have any problem drafting him at #5. The question is, is Nelson as good or almost as good? If so, I'd take him. If not, I wouldn't.

                  As far as Upshaw, the real question should be how many of the 16 drafted before him had better, more dominate careers?
                  In 1967 Bubba Smith, Bob Griese, Floyd Little, Gene Washington and Alan Page were drafted before Gene Upshaw. In 1968 the Raiders drafted Art Shell. Shell and Upshaw played on the left which led to a lot of pulls by Upshaw and down blocks by Shell which was opposite from what most teams did. It may have had to do with the left-handed QB they drafted before Shell in 1968.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                    Now I really, really want to draft Quenton Nelson with our fist pick because your meltdown would be epic.
                    actually laughed out load, hahahahahha
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
                      Which Hannah played tackle and guard at Alabama too...came to the pats and played guard. Gene was picked 17 overall.... even if you say Hannah was a True guard the was pick 4th overall where most of the teams ran...and really no 4k yard passer. That was like 45 years ago...which most of us weren't even born yet.
                      Joe Namath passed for 4007 yards in 1967 in a fourteen game season.

                      Gene Upshaw was drafted in 1967 which was 51 years ago.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by samparnell;5670060[B
                        ]In 1967 Bubba Smith, Bob Griese, Floyd Little, Gene Washington and Alan Page were drafted before Gene Upshaw.[/B] In 1968 the Raiders drafted Art Shell. Shell and Upshaw played on the left which led to a lot of pulls by Upshaw and down blocks by Shell which was opposite from what most teams did. It may have had to do with the left-handed QB they drafted before Shell in 1968.
                        WOW!!! That was quite a draft.
                        Last edited by broncos SB2010; 01-19-2018, 05:39 AM.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
                          Which Hannah played tackle and guard at Alabama too...came to the pats and played guard. Gene was picked 17 overall.... even if you say Hannah was a True guard the was pick 4th overall where most of the teams ran...and really no 4k yard passer. That was like 45 years ago...which most of us weren't even born yet.
                          Watching Bill Polian Breakdown Mel Kipers Mock yesterday he brought up 2 things....
                          "In the top 10 you should Draft a player who Sacks the QB, Scores TDs, Prevents TDs, or Turns the Ball Over. Guards don't do any of that"
                          &
                          John Hanna was the best OG he ever seen and his teams never sniffed a super bowl
                          "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by munoz1987 View Post
                            Watching Bill Polian Breakdown Mel Kipers Mock yesterday he brought up 2 things....
                            "In the top 10 you should Draft a player who Sacks the QB, Scores TDs, Prevents TDs, or Turns the Ball Over. Guards don't do any of that"
                            &
                            John Hanna was the best OG he ever seen and his teams never sniffed a super bowl
                            Happens to a lot of great players...Barry sanders, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Tony Gonzalez, Warren Moon, etc....doesn't mean they wouldn't be worth a top 5 pick.
                            Last edited by broncos SB2010; 01-19-2018, 07:19 AM.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                              Happens to a lot of great players...Barry sanders, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Tony Gonzalez, Warren Moon, etc....
                              It’s almost like football requires a good “team” to win a super bowl. I’ll have to get back to you on that one though. Might need to do some research.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by munoz1987 View Post
                                Watching Bill Polian Breakdown Mel Kipers Mock yesterday he brought up 2 things....
                                "In the top 10 you should Draft a player who Sacks the QB, Scores TDs, Prevents TDs, or Turns the Ball Over. Guards don't do any of that"
                                &
                                John Hanna was the best OG he ever seen and his teams never sniffed a super bowl
                                Hanna was on the Pats team that lost to the Bears in 1985.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X