This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    It’s almost like football requires a good “team” to win a super bowl. I’ll have to get back to you on that one though. Might need to do some research.
    ha

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by gerontion View Post
      Hanna was on the Pats team that lost to the Bears in 1985.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        In 1967 Bubba Smith, Bob Griese, Floyd Little, Gene Washington and Alan Page were drafted before Gene Upshaw. In 1968 the Raiders drafted Art Shell. Shell and Upshaw played on the left which led to a lot of pulls by Upshaw and down blocks by Shell which was opposite from what most teams did. It may have had to do with the left-handed QB they drafted before Shell in 1968.
        Bubba Smith broke his leg on a down marker and ruined his career. It's hard to argue that he shouldn't have been drafted before Upshaw if he hadn't been hurt. Of course we'll take Floyd.

Alan Page over Upshaw...maybe, but I'd probably go with Upshaw, although that's a tough call.

Maybe take Griese? I'm not sure I would. The Dolphins did pretty well with Earl Morrall when Griese got hurt their undefeated year, but it's hard to pass up a HOF QB.

No way would I take Gene Washington or Gene Washington (the other one LOL), although he did end his career in Denver.

When I glanced over that draft I didn't see anyone drafted after Upshaw I'd draft before him...Willie Lanier was the only name that I'd consider.

Shell and Upshaw were truly dominating. It really wasn't until we got Alzado that we had a chance against those guys. While an OG isn't a playmaker, having a dominate OG means picking up a lot of third and ones and keeping drives alive, something we've been sorely lacking the last few seasons, giving playmakers more opportunities to make plays.

Comment

• Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
          Bubba Smith broke his leg on a down marker and ruined his career. It's hard to argue that he shouldn't have been drafted before Upshaw if he hadn't been hurt. Of course we'll take Floyd.

Alan Page over Upshaw...maybe, but I'd probably go with Upshaw, although that's a tough call.

Maybe take Griese? I'm not sure I would. The Dolphins did pretty well with Earl Morrall when Griese got hurt their undefeated year, but it's hard to pass up a HOF QB.

No way would I take Gene Washington or Gene Washington (the other one LOL), although he did end his career in Denver.

When I glanced over that draft I didn't see anyone drafted after Upshaw I'd draft before him...Willie Lanier was the only name that I'd consider.

Shell and Upshaw were truly dominating. It really wasn't until we got Alzado that we had a chance against those guys. While an OG isn't a playmaker, having a dominate OG means picking up a lot of third and ones and keeping drives alive, something we've been sorely lacking the last few seasons, giving playmakers more opportunities to make plays.
          exactly. The line makes plays so the "playmakers" can get the yards and highlights.
          sigpic

Comment

Someone making a statement without fact checking? I don’t believe it.

Comment

Good catch...How many other players on the 85 Pats team can people name? Off the top of my head I can only come up with Tony Eason, although if some names are mentioned I'll probably go "Oh yeah"...It isn't like the Pats in those days were stocked with HOFers.

John Hannah was the one man equivalent of Mike Shanahan's OLs. Every RB the Pats put behind Hannah had success.

And yes, I would consider Hannah a "pure guard" considering he played OG every season of his 13 year NFL career.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                Happens to a lot of great players...Barry sanders, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Tony Gonzalez, Warren Moon, etc....doesn't mean they wouldn't be worth a top 5 pick.
                Yep...going back you have RBs like OJ, Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Billy Simms and many others that didn't "sniff" a Super Bowl in an era when running the ball was more important than today.

Comment

and from the coin toss they never had a chance
                  "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                    Joe Namath passed for 4007 yards in 1967 in a fourteen game season.

Gene Upshaw was drafted in 1967 which was 51 years ago.
                    I said "not really" glad you were able to to name 1 qb....and I was talking about Hannah draft...thank you.
                    Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

exactly. The line makes plays so the "playmakers" can get the yards and highlights.
                      Well we have very different views On what a playmaker is....that's cool.
                      Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
                        Well we have very different views On what a playmaker is....that's cool.
                        you know we are just talking to talk. The odds of the team taking anyone other than a QB are very very slim. I would estimate 2% it's a non QB.
                        sigpic

Comment

you know we are just talking to talk. The odds of the team taking anyone other than a QB are very very slim. I would estimate 2% it's a non QB.
                          You don't think we have a decent shot at Cousins?

Comment

• It wouldn’t be wise to take OG ( Nelson) at five. Too high for his position. We need to trade back and gather more picks. There will be a team or two that’s going to want to move up. Take Nelson at 10-14, if he isn’t there then get the OT from ND.

If by some chance we are unable to trade out of the 5th spot than I am all for getting S Fitzpatrick but really hope for the first scenery

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
                              I said "not really" glad you were able to to name 1 qb....and I was talking about Hannah draft...thank you.
                              You're not much for civil football conversations, are you?
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

You don't think we have a decent shot at Cousins?
                                I don't think they'll spend the $ and I also don't think washington lets him walk.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X