Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really can't see Elway ignoring Nelson at #5 because he's a guard. Especially when we're talking about the Broncos, who have been dealing with OL issues for years. The OL has been a constant problem and now the #5 pick allows the Broncos to take the best offensive lineman in the draft and one of the best guard prospects ever. Elway might see this as a gift from the football gods. Besides being a plug-and-play guard, Nelson has more arm length than Jared Veldheer. Let's say Veldheer gets injured again or plays poorly at RT, since he's more comfortable at LT. The coaches can promote McGovern to the starting lineup, move Nelson to RT and there is a good chance he will play better than any other options we have there. Also, with Nelson on the roster, McGovern can put more pressure on Paradis for the center spot and then we'd have a much more physical line.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
      I really can't see Elway ignoring Nelson at #5 because he's a guard. Especially when we're talking about the Broncos, who have been dealing with OL issues for years. The OL has been a constant problem and now the #5 pick allows the Broncos to take the best offensive lineman in the draft and one of the best guard prospects ever. Elway might see this as a gift from the football gods. Besides being a plug-and-play guard, Nelson has more arm length than Jared Veldheer. Let's say Veldheer gets injured again or plays poorly at RT, since he's more comfortable at LT. The coaches can promote McGovern to the starting lineup, move Nelson to RT and there is a good chance he will play better than any other options we have there. Also, with Nelson on the roster, McGovern can put more pressure on Paradis for the center spot and then we'd have a much more physical line.
      Bruh, I love how versatile Nelson is and he’d be the equivalent to drafting Von but on offense! I’m really hoping that he is available at 5 and Denver stays put. This guy is a monster and without a doubt the best offensive linemen in 25 years. The broncos really need him and I’m sure they understand that all too well!

Comment

• It really depends how the board falls.

If it goes Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Chubb then Mayfield or Nelson would probably be the pick imo.

If it went Darnold, Nelson, Rosen, Chubb, then Allen or Mayfield would be the pick.

Lot of options.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
          Bruh, I love how versatile Nelson is and he’d be the equivalent to drafting Von but on offense! I’m really hoping that he is available at 5 and Denver stays put. This guy is a monster and without a doubt the best offensive linemen in 25 years. The broncos really need him and I’m sure they understand that all too well!
          Agreed - I remember people wanting Jake locker and Christian ponder when we were at 2 overall..

Comment

• Originally posted by SaltySnipes View Post
            Agreed - I remember people wanting Jake locker and Christian ponder when we were at 2 overall..
            As prospects, those two would probably be what, somewhere between 5th-8th in this qb class?

Comment

• Let me start by saying Nelson is my favorite player for us in this draft. That being said, I really can't see us taking him at 5. Elway has shown he always meets or shows interest in a player he is targeting. And usually when he does he at least attempts to try and trade up for them...and sometimes he actually does.

Long gone are the paranoid days of Shanny scouting every prospect EXCEPT the one we are actually targeting. Maybe I am wrong but I can't find one article saying we visited with him or have brought him in for a visit....yet we have visited with the top 7 QBs. And we met with Barkley.

I don't like it either, because Nelson is the guy I want at 5, but I just don't see us taking him. I, unfortunately, am starting to believe we will move up for QB. I don't want it to be true because I'm still holding on to that glimmer of hope that we are just trying to get Buffalo or Arizona to flip over their cards sooner. But we will see.
              New England Patriots GM

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                I really can't see Elway ignoring Nelson at #5 because he's a guard. Especially when we're talking about the Broncos, who have been dealing with OL issues for years. The OL has been a constant problem and now the #5 pick allows the Broncos to take the best offensive lineman in the draft and one of the best guard prospects ever. Elway might see this as a gift from the football gods. Besides being a plug-and-play guard, Nelson has more arm length than Jared Veldheer. Let's say Veldheer gets injured again or plays poorly at RT, since he's more comfortable at LT. The coaches can promote McGovern to the starting lineup, move Nelson to RT and there is a good chance he will play better than any other options we have there. Also, with Nelson on the roster, McGovern can put more pressure on Paradis for the center spot and then we'd have a much more physical line.
                Agreed. There's evidence to support this in that we signed Veldheer to be the right tackle instead of spending it on a guard. Its been report that Leary is moving back to LG. So that means the only true hole is RG, which can be pretty quickly filled in the draft. Nelson or a similarly high picked G will make this line much, much better. Earlier this offseason I was pretty down on the FO for not being more active in free agency, but now I understand their approach better.
                Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
                  Let me start by saying Nelson is my favorite player for us in this draft. That being said, I really can't see us taking him at 5. Elway has shown he always meets or shows interest in a player he is targeting. And usually when he does he at least attempts to try and trade up for them...and sometimes he actually does.

Long gone are the paranoid days of Shanny scouting every prospect EXCEPT the one we are actually targeting. Maybe I am wrong but I can't find one article saying we visited with him or have brought him in for a visit....yet we have visited with the top 7 QBs. And we met with Barkley.

I don't like it either, because Nelson is the guy I want at 5, but I just don't see us taking him. I, unfortunately, am starting to believe we will move up for QB. I don't want it to be true because I'm still holding on to that glimmer of hope that we are just trying to get Buffalo or Arizona to flip over their cards sooner. But we will see.
                  This is also true. Most players we draft are ones we scouted. I haven't seen anyone linking us to Nelson, whereas we have been linked to Barkley.
                  Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                    This is also true. Most players we draft are ones we scouted. I haven't seen anyone linking us to Nelson, whereas we have been linked to Barkley.
                    It's unfortunate because I really think he could make a 2nd round RB like Chubb put up the same numbers Barkley would put up. I am still holding out hope that we will break from our trend of only drafting 1st round prospects that we meet with...but I don't see that happening.
                    New England Patriots GM

Comment

Agreed. There's evidence to support this in that we signed Veldheer to be the right tackle instead of spending it on a guard. Its been report that Leary is moving back to LG. So that means the only true hole is RG, which can be pretty quickly filled in the draft. Nelson or a similarly high picked G will make this line much, much better. Earlier this offseason I was pretty down on the FO for not being more active in free agency, but now I understand their approach better.
                      As of who is on the roster right now I would think we are looking at Bolles-Leary-Paradis-McGovern-Veldheer. And then we have not much other than smoke, mirrors, and hope as depth. Paradis is on a second round tender IIRC. McGovern could replace him but then we're right back to having a hole at OG. Also McGovern could beat out Paradis for Center and we could have that high round Guard come in like you said, which would be intriguing because I agree that we could end up much, much better. I also wonder if they'd flip Paradis over to RG from Center if McGovern beat him out.
                      Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                        As of who is on the roster right now I would think we are looking at Bolles-Leary-Paradis-McGovern-Veldheer. And then we have not much other than smoke, mirrors, and hope as depth. Paradis is on a second round tender IIRC. McGovern could replace him but then we're right back to having a hole at OG. Also McGovern could beat out Paradis for Center and we could have that high round Guard come in like you said, which would be intriguing because I agree that we could end up much, much better. I also wonder if they'd flip Paradis over to RG from Center if McGovern beat him out.
                        Paradis is probably going to be too expensive to hold onto, especially if McGovern makes a big transition this season. If we end up getting Nelson or Hernandez, then the decision gets made even more easily IMO to move on from Paradis.
                        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Signing veldheer and drafting nelson would make it easier take an o'neil or teller for depth. It would also allow for a couple of cb, rb, lb picks from 2 to 4 where the talent is deep. I want a great line again. Remember how satisfying is was to watch the smallest avaerage line push around the likes of gilbert brown from the packers?
                          Last edited by armedequation; 03-24-2018, 12:35 PM.
                          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                            Signing veldheer and drafting nelson would make it easier take an o'neil or teller for depth. It would also allow for a couple of cb, rb, lb picks from 2 to 4 where the talent is deep. I want a great line again. Remember how satisfying is was to watch the smallest avaerage line push around the likes of gilbert brown from the packers?
                            Ya some mid round developmental guys will be in play, on top of who you listed players like Orlando Brown and Okorafor are intriguing names to watch. Sit a develop initially, and then plug in.
                            What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                            I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Paradis is probably going to be too expensive to hold onto, especially if McGovern makes a big transition this season. If we end up getting Nelson or Hernandez, then the decision gets made even more easily IMO to move on from Paradis.
                              I think Paradis will resign, but then again if a talented guy like Price is available in the 3rd, then it's something to consider.
                              What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                              I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                                I think Paradis will resign, but then again if a talented guy like Price is available in the 3rd, then it's something to consider.
                                I'm really hoping Denver snags him in the 3rd. He is probably the drafts best center and he is easily a 1st round pick if it wasn't for his injury.

Comment

Working...
                                X