This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by crp24lbc View Post
    I was just listening to MHR podcast and the hosts were laughing at and making fun of all the fans on these boards clamoring for Nelson. These is a 0% chance Nelson is the pick, it will either be Barkley or 1 of the 4 QBs. Nelson lovers need to realize this and embrace it as to not be disappointed come draft day.
    There are other possibilities as well. You don't think it's at all possible that they take another good prospect such as Ward, Fitzpatrick, or Chubb? That sure is backing yourself into a corner for no real reason.
    sigpic

Comment

So u want to waste a top 5 pick to fill a guard slot just to create another hole at guard next season?
      That's not how I see it, and Nelson very well might be better than Leary. I was just providi8ng a possible solution to your perceived problem with the $....you know....trying to have a discussion about it.

That same argument could be used for you and the players you like. You want to draft Barkley when we don't even need a RB at all. Barkley might be an upgrade over CJ but the need isn't really there.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
        There are other possibilities as well. You don't think it's at all possible that they take another good prospect such as Ward, Fitzpatrick, or Chubb? That sure is backing yourself into a corner for no real reason.
        No I dont think any of those players u mentioned make sense at all. Our safeties are set after adding Cravens, we already have 3 top notch outside pass rushers and we already have 2 young CBs we like. What we dont have is a franchise QB. Either get 1 or the 4 or get the unquestioned best player in the draft (Barkley). This is not hard

Comment

• Originally posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
          The Cowboy's were 24th in O-Line spending in 2017. The Super Bowl Champion Eagles were 4th. The playoff teams last season were ranked 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 17th, 18th, and 19th in OL spending. The Broncos ranked 30th.

You know you can look these things up before just making assumptions.

SOURCE

Using the link above, I checked every SB winning team for as far back as the list goes. Here is where they all ranked in OL positional spending:

2017 Eagles - 4th
          2016 Patriots - 9th
          2015 Broncos - 8th
          2014 Patriots - 23rd
          2013 Seahawks - 1st

So all but one SB winning team ranked in the top 10 in positional spending.
          I never thought to look that up.....good work!!! and people wonder why some us are calling to upgrade the Oline.
          sigpic

Comment

I never thought to look that up.....good work!!! and people wonder why some us are calling to upgrade the Oline.
            Like I said, those teams are spending a lot of money on Oline cuz they have expensive tackles. If u looked at my list of the top teams spending on Guards u have the raiders, browns, bears and the rest of the worst teams in the NFL

Comment

Like I said, those teams are spending a lot of money on Oline cuz they have expensive tackles. If u looked at my list of the top teams spending on Guards u have the raiders, browns, bears and the rest of the worst teams in the NFL
              Like the Eagles?

Comment

No I dont think any of those players u mentioned make sense at all. Our safeties are set after adding Cravens, we already have 3 top notch outside pass rushers and we already have 2 young CBs we like. What we dont have is a franchise QB. Either get 1 or the 4 or get the unquestioned best player in the draft (Barkley). This is not hard
                I agree we could use a QB. How sold the FO is on Keenum, I couldn't tell you. I have been saying all along I think QB will be the pick. That was before the Jets moved up ahead of us so now I am not sure if the QB the FO wants will be there. I doubt they take a QB just to take one, it would have to be their guy.

I am going to disagree about outside pass rushers. I assume you are talking about Barrett and Ray. Neither of those 2 has shown very much at all, certainly not enough to be called "top notch". If we have 3 top notch pass rushers, how come the pass rush was so bad last year?

I feel a similar way about your statement about our CB. Harris is good, but will he look the same without Talib on the other side? Roby is a downgrade from Talib, from what I have seen so far, and who is now the #3? Before Roby was a pretty solid #3 and he played on 68% of the snaps. Who is taking those snaps now? Cravens? Brock? An upgrade could be used there as well.
                sigpic

Comment

Look at the lists for teams with the highest paid QBs and highest paid RBs. They look pretty similar...a lot of bad/mediocre teams in there as well.

On the QB list...Redskins, Ravens, Bears, Giants
                  On the RB list....Buffalo, TB, Titans, Texans
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
                    Like the Eagles?
                    Like the Patriots, who many would argue have been the most successful teams in NFL history over the past decade. Anyone wanna guess where the Pats rank on money allocated to the guard position over the past half decade? 2017 they were 27th, 2016 they were 28th, 2015 29th, 2018 21st.

The reason is because this is NOT a premium position and the good teams understand this and dont waste resources on this position. This isn't baseball where u can just buy the best players, u need to make it all fit under the cap and the Pats have PROVEN that u can be successful in this league without spending money on this position

Comment

I agree we could use a QB. How sold the FO is on Keenum, I couldn't tell you. I have been saying all along I think QB will be the pick. That was before the Jets moved up ahead of us so now I am not sure if the QB the FO wants will be there. I doubt they take a QB just to take one, it would have to be their guy.

I am going to disagree about outside pass rushers. I assume you are talking about Barrett and Ray. Neither of those 2 has shown very much at all, certainly not enough to be called "top notch". If we have 3 top notch pass rushers, how come the pass rush was so bad last year?

I feel a similar way about your statement about our CB. Harris is good, but will he look the same without Talib on the other side? Roby is a downgrade from Talib, from what I have seen so far, and who is now the #3? Before Roby was a pretty solid #3 and he played on 68% of the snaps. Who is taking those snaps now? Cravens? Brock? An upgrade could be used there as well.
                      Ray was hurt last year, and when he did play he was doing so with 1 arm.

Roby is a star in the making and the Broncos know this which is why they were willing to move on from Talib. I agree depth is needed at CB but u dont draft a guy at #5 overall for depth. Brock was a fine signing and will do solid as a 3rd CB until Langley develops and takes over the #3 CB job in 2019.

Comment

Look at the lists for teams with the highest paid QBs and highest paid RBs. They look pretty similar...a lot of bad/mediocre teams in there as well.

On the QB list...Redskins, Ravens, Bears, Giants
                        On the RB list....Buffalo, TB, Titans, Texans
                        I'm not advocating the Broncos spend big money on QB. I'm saying draft 1 at #5 where his cost is controlled for 5 years and build a team around him while he is on his rookie contract.

Comment

Like the Patriots, who many would argue have been the most successful teams in NFL history over the past decade. Anyone wanna guess where the Pats rank on money allocated to the guard position over the past half decade? 2017 they were 27th, 2016 they were 28th, 2015 29th, 2018 21st.

The reason is because this is NOT a premium position and the good teams understand this and dont waste resources on this position. This isn't baseball where u can just buy the best players, u need to make it all fit under the cap and the Pats have PROVEN that u can be successful in this league without spending money on this position
                          I don't think you can take what the Patriots spend on OG and conclude they do that so they don't waste resources on that position.

here are the Patriots rankings fro spending by position:

QB: 16th
                          RB: 4th
                          FB: 7th
                          OT: 4th
                          OG: 27th
                          OC: 22nd
                          Dline: 27th
                          LB: 29th
                          CB: 14th
                          S: 1st

According to your philosophy, safety would be the best premium position to spend the $ on. What this really does tell me is that NE is very good at finding good players at good prices.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm not advocating the Broncos spend big money on QB. I'm saying draft 1 at #5 where his cost is controlled for 5 years and build a team around him while he is on his rookie contract.
                            But you're using the money as a reason to not draft Nelson. What's the difference?

Comment

Ray was hurt last year, and when he did play he was doing so with 1 arm.

Roby is a star in the making and the Broncos know this which is why they were willing to move on from Talib. I agree depth is needed at CB but u dont draft a guy at #5 overall for depth. Brock was a fine signing and will do solid as a 3rd CB until Langley develops and takes over the #3 CB job in 2019.
                              Do you really think Langley is the future? I find that hard to believe. Jury is still out on Ray and Roby. Both could be stars and neither could. I think we will get our first real look at both of them this season.
                              sigpic

Comment

But you were saying Nelson would be too expensive at 5. wouldn't his cost be controlled for 5 years too? I understand their is a difference in starting vet QB compared to starting vet OG vs their rookie contracts, I just find it funny you are using the same argument in different ways.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X