This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by crp24lbc View Post
    Like the Patriots, who many would argue have been the most successful teams in NFL history over the past decade. Anyone wanna guess where the Pats rank on money allocated to the guard position over the past half decade? 2017 they were 27th, 2016 they were 28th, 2015 29th, 2018 21st.
    The Patriots drafted OG Logan Mankins in the 1st round, kept him from 2005 to 2013 and made him the highest-paid guard in the league. The guy was a 7x Pro Bowler, 6x All-Pro.

Maybe nowadays, with Tom Brady playing at an MVP level every year, they don't need to give him premium guards. In our own situation, we don't have an elite QB, Case Keenum thrived in a balanced offense that limited his throws and Vance Joseph said he wants to run the ball. For the Broncos, right now, an elite guard has plenty of value.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
      The Patriots drafted OG Logan Mankins in the 1st round, kept him from 2005 to 2013 and made him the highest-paid guard in the league. The guy was a 7x Pro Bowler, 6x All-Pro.

Maybe nowadays, with Tom Brady playing at an MVP level every year, they don't need to give him premium guards. In our own situation, we don't have an elite QB, Case Keenum thrived in a balanced offense that limited his throws and Vance Joseph said he wants to run the ball. For the Broncos, right now, an elite guard has plenty of value.
      Those are all excellent points

I would also add that NE is an established veteran team with an established Oline where they can bring in a player and have him develop on the run and still be successful wheras with us, we have new coaches who have been here 1 season, Leary and Bolles who have been here 1 year, McGovern who has only started a few games, Garcia who has been a couple seasons but looks to be on the way out, Veldheer who is brand new and Paradis who is the most tenured player on the Oline. Having a blue chip elite prospect that you can build the Oline around and keep for 10+ years would be nice to have instead of the revolving door for Olineman that we have had for the past few years.
      Last edited by broncos SB2010; 03-30-2018, 12:45 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
        But you were saying Nelson would be too expensive at 5. wouldn't his cost be controlled for 5 years too? I understand their is a difference in starting vet QB compared to starting vet OG vs their rookie contracts, I just find it funny you are using the same argument in different ways.
        U answered your own question in that post.

Comment

Those are all excellent points

I would also add that NE is an established veteran team with an established Oline where they can bring in a player and have him develop on the run and still be successful wheras with us, we have new coaches who have been here 1 season, Leary and Bolles who have been here 1 year, McGovern who has only started a few games, Garcia who has been a couple seasons but looks to be on the way out, Veldheer who is brand new and Paradis who is the most tenured player on the Oline. Having a blue chip elite prospect that you can build the Oline around and keep for 10+ years would be nice to have instead of the revolving door for Olineman that we have had for the past few years.
          A bad revolving door that doesnt turn at that lol. Norwell just got what 13 and change per year? If we got a rookie qb, wed still be paying qbs more than what minnesota paid for cousins correct?

According to elway, if you draft a qb that high then he should be playing. If thats the case(no pun intended) why didnt they just draft the qb and have him play? That wouldve been smarter than paying 20 mil for someone that wont play but a handful of games before being benched for the rookie
          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post
            A bad revolving door that doesnt turn at that lol. Norwell just got what 13 and change per year? If we got a rookie qb, wed still be paying qbs more than what minnesota paid for cousins correct?

According to elway, if you draft a qb that high then he should be playing. If thats the case(no pun intended) why didnt they just draft the qb and have him play? That wouldve been smarter than paying 20 mil for someone that wont play but a handful of games before being benched for the rookie
            And that is why I think a QB is on the backburner for Elway now. He said that long before they signed Keenum. A QB wouldn't surprise me but, like you, I don't see the sense in signing Keenum to such a big deal and then taking a QB at 5. If the plan was to take a QB then they could have signed a guy like AJ McCarron, Weedon, or Brdigewater.
            sigpic

Comment

• Everything ive said has been based off what the current coaching staff/front office has said. Im merely saying okay if they tell me that THEY are good at qb then okay, whats the next area that needs the most improvement? Thats definitely o line. After that its kinda a cluster
              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Everything ive said has been based off what the current coaching staff/front office has said. Im merely saying okay if they tell me that THEY are good at qb then okay, whats the next area that needs the most improvement? Thats definitely o line. After that its kinda a cluster
                Then u should also be saying that the Oline is okay cuz both Elway and Joesph have said they believe in Conner McGovern as the starting RG going into the season.

Comment

Everything ive said has been based off what the current coaching staff/front office has said. Im merely saying okay if they tell me that THEY are good at qb then okay, whats the next area that needs the most improvement? Thats definitely o line. After that its kinda a cluster
                  The more I look at things, I think unless Mayfield falls to them (looking unlikely) they'll go away from QB this year. They signed Keenum and still have two young QBs that they can build up over the next two seasons. Build the team, hope to develop one of those two QBs to start two years from now, and go from there.

Comment

Do you really think Langley is the future? I find that hard to believe. Jury is still out on Ray and Roby. Both could be stars and neither could. I think we will get our first real look at both of them this season.
                    I think by 2019 that Langley will be ready to assume the #3 CB job, yes. He was always going to be a project when we drafted him. He has all the talent in the world but no clue what to do with it. A couple years of seasoning will do him wonders

Comment

• Originally posted by crp24lbc View Post
                      Then u should also be saying that the Oline is okay cuz both Elway and Joesph have said they believe in Conner McGovern as the starting RG going into the season.
                      That's the actual quote from Vance Joseph:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/spo...-lynchs-future

I thought if we played tomorrow, McGovern played well the last month of the season. He would have a chance to be our right guard. Right tackle, we trade for Jared and we’ve got Menelik (Watson). He’s trying to get healthy. We’ll compete there," Joseph said. "Again, things change. Max would probably have to flip and play both (guard positions). That’s the way I see it right now. Things do change. We have a draft.
                      McGovern has a chance to be our RG, but things change and we have a draft. As you can see, nothing is set in stone there and Joseph left open the possibility of the offensive line suffering changes due to the draft.
                      sigpic

Comment

Do you really think Langley is the future? I find that hard to believe.
                        Langley?? He should be cut and go to the practice squad. Elway took an "undrafted free agent" in the 3rd round and Marcus Rios, who was not even drafted, ran circles around him.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                          Langley?? He should be cut and go to the practice squad. Elway took an "undrafted free agent" in the 3rd round and Marcus Rios, who was not even drafted, ran circles around him.

I forgot about Rios ! That Kid did look great when he was given a chance to play !

Comment

• I wonder just how hard it must be for someone close to JE like lets say Gary Kubes or VJ to not spill the beans on who they really covet. Like for example how do you not discuss these options with your significant other or best friend. No lie it must be hard to remain tight lipped all the way to April.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                              I wonder just how hard it must be for someone close to JE like lets say Gary Kubes or VJ to not spill the beans on who they really covet. Like for example how do you not discuss these options with your significant other or best friend. No lie it must be hard to remain tight lipped all the way to April.
                              I would never be able to do it. It really does seem like a tough task.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                                I wonder just how hard it must be for someone close to JE like lets say Gary Kubes or VJ to not spill the beans on who they really covet. Like for example how do you not discuss these options with your significant other or best friend. No lie it must be hard to remain tight lipped all the way to April.
                                I tried getting in tight with some cheerleaders...to see what they knew....but it didn't wok
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X