This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    In 2015 Brandon Sheriff was drafted #5 (now a Guard).
    In 2013 while not top 5 we saw two guards get picked in the top 10: Jonathan Cooper & Chance Warmack.

I'd say both of those drafts are deemed "today's NFL". I'd also say that in the past few drafts we've started to see a bit of a shift in mentality of the NFL and how they approach offensive game plans. For a few years there we really didn't see a push for RB's to be taken in round 1. Let alone the top 20. In the past few years now we've seen a bit more of a shift it seems in that position as well Gurley, Gordon, Elliott, Fournette & McCaffrey. All taken in the upper picks of round 1. I digress, although only slightly, I think we are starting to see a shift in draft philosophy across the NFL. With the weight of a QB being so critical (plus salary implications) we will continue to see 1st round reaches.That isn't the biggest change though. I think we will start to see other positions go top 5, top 10 simply because they are the best player in the draft. As the top players at their position get paid BIG contracts a rookie salary locked in at a lower number is a savings for a team looking to target a FA player. For example Kelechi Osemele is slated to make about 13 M. So for the top pick in the 2017 NFL draft simply averaging the value his cap number is 7.5 M/ year. Then if you drop to the 5th pick his per year dollar value is 6.25 M. So if you think Nelson can or is as good as one of the top 3-4 at his position and that is a position your team needs now and into the future why wouldn't you grab that? At the rookie deal he'd be saving your team 6.5 million per year. Now the justification for this is clear. In today's NFL the pass rush is no longer JUST from the outside it is also from the inside. IN addition the interior lineman are also the ones you need to allow your team to run up the gut and make your rushing attack multi-dimensional.

So yes in today's NFL there is a justification for an OG to be drafted in the top 5. If and only if he is projecting to be one of the top 2-3 at his position in the NFL. Thus far nearly all reports, film and highlights of Nelson are pointing to him being THAT guy
    So your putting a guy who most recently played against college walk on, 18 year old freshman and kids who will never even look at a football field again in the top 2 of his position? That is CRAZY.

When Brandon Sheriff was drafted it was to play LT, he failed there so they moved him to guard. There is NO WSY they would have drafted him at 5 knowing he would only be a guard. The other 2 u mentioned failed miserably even tho "experts" said the same about them as they are saying about Nelson today. Paying $7 million for a guard when your already po paying Leary over $8 per year is NOT how u build a winning roster, that is almost 10% of your cap spent on the least valuable position on the field. The advantage with the cap comes from drafting a QB and having him pan out cuz that saves u millions at the most important position in sports for 5 seasons.

Comment

• Posts often are deleted to keep threads on topic. If you have a question or concerns about specific posts, specific actions by the staff, etc, please take them to the Community Issues forum or PM a mod

Comment

• The only reason I could see to pick Nelson is the previous 4-picks are QB's and it comes down to picking him or Barkley with Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, and Kerryon Johnson maybe available in the 3rd.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Rancid View Post
          The only reason I could see to pick Nelson is the previous 4-picks are QB's and it comes down to picking him or Barkley with Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, and Kerryon Johnson maybe available in the 3rd.
          I would pick Barkley in your scenario. Elway did try to go get McCaffery last year but it was too much to give up. I really have no idea what Elway wants to do, maybe he doesn't either right now. Nelson looks like he could play tackle better than most of our tackles, and that isn't his true position. He may come out and flop but I seriously doubt it. I don't think Elway will take Nelson. I do not think Elway will take a G at #5.

Comment

• Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
            I would pick Barkley in your scenario. Elway did try to go get McCaffery last year but it was too much to give up. I really have no idea what Elway wants to do, maybe he doesn't either right now. Nelson looks like he could play tackle better than most of our tackles, and that isn't his true position. He may come out and flop but I seriously doubt it. I don't think Elway will take Nelson. I do not think Elway will take a G at #5.
            I think there were a few reasons why Elway really wanted Mac. 1. Possible favor from Mac father. 2. Mac can be a triple threat from Receiving, Running, and special teams. I don’t think we would be playing Barkley on special teams. 3. Mac would be a good change of pace rb to compliment CJ. Barkley would just replace CJ.

Just my two cents on why elways would have draft a RB last year but possibly not this year in the first.

Comment

• Barkley is as skilled as McCaffrey as a receiver, but also built to be an every-down running back. I think Todd Gurley is a good comparison for Barkley, both are big runners but play like speed running backs and shine in the passing game.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                Barkley is as skilled as McCaffrey as a receiver, but also built to be an every-down running back. I think Todd Gurley is a good comparison for Barkley, both are big runners but play like speed running backs and shine in the passing game.
                I'm not sure how accurate that is. McCaffrey could play WR he is so skilled. I'm not sure if the same is true about Barkley.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                  I'm not sure how accurate that is. McCaffrey could play WR he is so skilled. I'm not sure if the same is true about Barkley.
                  Completely agree. McCaffrey route running is way more polished than Barkley’s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                    I think there were a few reasons why Elway really wanted Mac. 1. Possible favor from Mac father. 2. Mac can be a triple threat from Receiving, Running, and special teams. I don’t think we would be playing Barkley on special teams. 3. Mac would be a good change of pace rb to compliment CJ. Barkley would just replace CJ.

Just my two cents on why elways would have draft a RB last year but possibly not this year in the first.
                    I see your point definitely. Barkley is not the route runner that McCaffrey is. It seems we really don't utilize the RB running WR routes in our offense. I see Barkley as a day 1 starter that could do explosive damage in out of the back field routes and swing pass/screen pass scenarios. Nelson if drafted should be a day 1 starter too.

You can't really go wrong with either except I don't think Elway will use that high of draft pick on a Guard. There can be a case made for both, Guards can play longer at a higher level than RB's most of the time, and really great RB's can score tons of points and still be effective 5+ years if the injury bug can stay away from them

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                      Listen to Dave Dameshek's latest podcast:

http://www.nfl.com/podcasts?series=dameshek-podcast

At 21:45 Matt Williamson, former NFL scout, starts talking about Barkley and says "he's gonna abuse linebacker coverage like McCaffrey does".

Look at his burst and how he catches the ball easily:

sigpic

Comment

• Peter King just said he’s been told CLE will taken Allen first then Barkley at 4, if he’s still there.

Comment

• Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                          Peter King just said he’s been told CLE will taken Allen first then Barkley at 4, if he’s still there.
                          That is the dream scenario. It ensures the Broncos either Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield. Come on Cleveland dont mess this up by trading down again, u guys need elite talent and Allen and Barkley give u that.

Comment

• Originally posted by crp24lbc View Post
                            So your putting a guy who most recently played against college walk on, 18 year old freshman and kids who will never even look at a football field again in the top 2 of his position? That is CRAZY.

When Brandon Sheriff was drafted it was to play LT, he failed there so they moved him to guard. There is NO WSY they would have drafted him at 5 knowing he would only be a guard. The other 2 u mentioned failed miserably even tho "experts" said the same about them as they are saying about Nelson today. Paying $7 million for a guard when your already po paying Leary over $8 per year is NOT how u build a winning roster, that is almost 10% of your cap spent on the least valuable position on the field. The advantage with the cap comes from drafting a QB and having him pan out cuz that saves u millions at the most important position in sports for 5 seasons.
                            Scherff wasn’t drafted to play LT, the Redskns already has one of the best LTs in the game in Trent Williams. He competed at RT with Morgan Moses briefly but that was because Moses was coming off a Lisfranc injury. Scherff was drafted to be an OG.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                              Scherff wasn’t drafted to play LT, the Redskns already has one of the best LTs in the game in Trent Williams. He competed at RT with Morgan Moses briefly but that was because Moses was coming off a Lisfranc injury. Scherff was drafted to be an OG.
                              Best case he is an rt but he is also a really good guard
                              sigpic
                              oakland raders gm
                              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                                Listen to Dave Dameshek's latest podcast:

http://www.nfl.com/podcasts?series=dameshek-podcast

At 21:45 Matt Williamson, former NFL scout, starts talking about Barkley and says "he's gonna abuse linebacker coverage like McCaffrey does".

Look at his burst and how he catches the ball easily:

I wasn't trying to say Barkley won't be a good receiving option but I don't see him being nearly as polished a receiver as Mccaffrey. There are quite a few RB who abuse LB in coverage. Alvin kamarra is one example if it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X