Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasons to draft Quenton Nelson

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Or you can just read it yourself and use common sense when reading it.
    Common sense tells me that Nelson is going to be a beast. The kind of Guard that would go a long way towards helping us set up our O-Line for the next decade or so. I miss being able to run the ball. I miss looking at 3rd and short as a gimme down. I've also got PTSD from watching Max Garcia get shoved into the backfield.
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

    Comment


    • This is me trying to enjoy Christmas snacks after we missed the playoffs, thinking about the O-Line instead:

      Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
        Or you can just read it yourself and use common sense when reading it.
        My point exactly
        Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
          It's too early to say if he'll be good or not, but McGovern is sill very young and has improved tangibly over his first two seasons. Right now he's an average starting guard, there's also the very real possibility he continues to improve; many players make significant jumps in their abilities around their third season. Based on his improvement thus far, adding in a possible year of starting in 2018, I really have high hopes for McGregor(and Bolles too).
          He's the backup centre as well though, given Paradis' contract status, and the drop in his play last season (admittedly coming off of double surgery) one could wonder if McGovern might be able to steal the starting C job away from him?

          Comment


          • Let's examine the guards don't impact the game narrative:

            The last 3 DPOY were
            Donald
            Mack
            Watt

            2 of which play interior DL. They were considered not only impact game changers, but the best players in football defensively. Who blocks those players? The guards, on a majority of occasions. Taking a guy who can stalemate or beat players considered the best defenders is more than a little impact if you ask me. The contracts being given to OG also tend to agree with that point as well.
            What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
            I don't know and I don't care

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Narco View Post
              Nelson wouldn't be a difference maker. With Leary back at his natural LG spot and McGovern playing at RG, which he did very well last season, where would Nelson fit? Guard isn't a glaring need on the Oline. Draft Nelson and maybe he's a tad bit better than McGovern or maybe not, point is a guard isn't going to be the dofference between winning and losing.
              I disagree. Look at Garcia last year, he was a turnstile, and a poor guard gives the D-line a direct path to the QB, if you have only a poor RT the QB can step up into the pocket. McGovern looked okay last year, but in the end he's got just 5 NFL starts, and it's tough to say that he's going to be just fine based on 5 starts at the end of a throw away season. Remember Garcia looked pretty decent at times when he would rotate in during the Super Bowl season, and then the job was his and all of a sudden we saw the results.

              The other thing McGovern has is flexibility, he's the backup centre as well. Drafting Nelson allows McGovern to battle with Paradis for that spot. Best case scenario he looks great and wins that job and all of a sudden you've got a completely solid interior on the line. Worst case scenario he doesn't beat Paradis and you've got McGovern as a backup at all 3 interior positions, and he's there to possibly take the centre job in 2019 if they let Paradis go.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                Let's examine the guards don't impact the game narrative:

                The last 3 DPOY were
                Donald
                Mack
                Watt

                2 of which play interior DL. They were considered not only impact game changers, but the best players in football defensively. Who blocks those players? The guards, on a majority of occasions. Taking a guy who can stalemate or beat players considered the best defenders is more than a little impact if you ask me. The contracts being given to OG also tend to agree with that point as well.
                People like stats, they want to see their draft pick score touchdowns, and feel good about it. They don't realize that Nelson won't score touchdowns but he can improve things so that Henderson, Booker and RB3 can score more touchdowns. Nelson improves a short yardage situation that's been a disaster for about 15 years, whereas an RB gets met in the backfield because they didn't improve the interior when they had the chance.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                  Let's examine the guards don't impact the game narrative:

                  The last 3 DPOY were
                  Donald
                  Mack
                  Watt

                  2 of which play interior DL. They were considered not only impact game changers, but the best players in football defensively. Who blocks those players? The guards, on a majority of occasions. Taking a guy who can stalemate or beat players considered the best defenders is more than a little impact if you ask me. The contracts being given to OG also tend to agree with that point as well.
                  Sounds like you made a case to get Dline with our first lol

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                    Sounds like you made a case to get Dline with our first lol
                    Not really
                    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                    I don't know and I don't care

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                      This is me trying to enjoy Christmas snacks after we missed the playoffs, thinking about the O-Line instead:

                      Keep thinking about the O-line while we take the cupcakes

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                        Manning was a perfectionist. Of course he wants everyone on that offense to be perfect and when they aren’t he was known for calling them out. But he still made them look better. You say how often do Brady and Manning’s come around but ignored that I gave more examples besides Brady and Manning. There are even QBs that I feel like who if were on a bad oline they would still excel like Wentz and even Newton has from time to time but also got punished because he holds it too long or doesn’t slid. Andrew Luck was killing it for 3 years with prob the worst Oline. However, the colts decide to not even bother to help him in those years and he eventually got hurt because of that and trying to do too much.

                        I’m not saying ignore the oline. I know it’s a problem. I see Denver has slowly been working on it. And still can in this draft but I’ll take the potential game changer over the 1 of 5 piece of the oline
                        I hear what you’re saying with respect to the “game changer”. Lineman can be game changers as well just not as visible as a QB, RB, WR or TE. A great lineman can dominate the opposing player to create the hole for the “game changer”. Or protect the QB for a split second longer to make an accurate throw. A great lineman can wear down a defender over a game to pave the way for a RB. I see what you’re saying and just believe a lineman can also be a game changer.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                          I hear what you’re saying with respect to the “game changer”. Lineman can be game changers as well just not as visible as a QB, RB, WR or TE. A great lineman can dominate the opposing player to create the hole for the “game changer”. Or protect the QB for a split second longer to make an accurate throw. A great lineman can wear down a defender over a game to pave the way for a RB. I see what you’re saying and just believe a lineman can also be a game changer.
                          Exactly. Some people mistake their inability to recognize the impact of linemen as meaning linemen don’t impact the game.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                            Let's examine the guards don't impact the game narrative:

                            The last 3 DPOY were
                            Donald
                            Mack
                            Watt

                            2 of which play interior DL. They were considered not only impact game changers, but the best players in football defensively. Who blocks those players? The guards, on a majority of occasions. Taking a guy who can stalemate or beat players considered the best defenders is more than a little impact if you ask me. The contracts being given to OG also tend to agree with that point as well.
                            Wow, this so the best you can do? So if this is the case why isn't any of the teams with the best guard win offense player of the year? Never have and never will. The players you name get the ball back....get sack etc. I'm done with this convo bc I truly feel no way in hell we will pick a guard at the top 5 pick....complete waste of a pick. Wynn or price with be just as good.
                            Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                              Sounds like you made a case to get Dline with our first lol
                              Lol I was thinking the same thing
                              Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
                                Wow, this so the best you can do? So if this is the case why isn't any of the teams with the best guard win offense player of the year? Never have and never will. The players you name get the ball back....get sack etc. I'm done with this convo bc I truly feel no way in hell we will pick a guard at the top 5 pick....complete waste of a pick. Wynn or price with be just as good.
                                By your logic an OT isn't worth it since they dont get the ball back or get sacks. Which you said it wouldn't be an issue if we take one....
                                What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                                I don't know and I don't care

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X