This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
    While I do agree Chubb beat McGlinchey in this game. It doesn’t mean he won’t be an elite tackle on the next level. If you are judging him off one game with bad weather and not his whole career you shouldn’t be so quick to make a call like that. You act like Joe thomas never had a bad game in college or pro’s and they calling him not an elite prospect because of it.

That being said I don’t think he is an elite talent but I do think he will be a very good Tackle on the next level.
    Yes, but I was asked if I would take McGlinchey at #5. That's too rich for him. It would look like a reach based on need. He's a good player, but is not considered top-5 good. He would make more sense if the Broncos trade down.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
      Yes, but I was asked if I would take McGlinchey at #5. That's too rich for him. It would look like a reach based on need. He's a good player, but is not considered top-5 good. He would make more sense if the Broncos trade down.
      My take, too. McGlinchey would be a big reach at #5. If Denver traded down, they might be able to get him.

Kolton Miller might be there at #40. Martinas Rankin could be available at #40. Tyrell Crosby should be available at #40. Brian O'Neill might be available at #71. Orlando Brown might be there at #71, or possibly #99. Brandon Parker might be available at #149.

McGlinchey, Miller, Rankin and Crosby should be able to start at RT as rookies and one or more of them might be able to swing to the other side eventually. I think the other guys should be depth for a while. Parker looks like a guy to develop into a RT eventually.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I see McGlinchey being owned by Bradley Chubb, which tells me he's not an elite tackle prospect to handle an elite edge prospect. Also, I can't stop noticing how dominant Nelson is snap after snap.
        Keep in mind that this was from 2016. McGlinchey played much better in 2017 and pretty much played Chubb to a stalemate in 2017, with McGlinchey and the ND O-line neutralizing him. Yes, Chubb got a sack in that game, but Wimbush also ran directly into him while McGlinchey had him blocked. Notre Dame rattled off over 300 yards rushing against what was considered an elite NC State defense in 2017, having allowed the 6th fewest rushing yards in the nation prior to that game. I think McGlinchey matured through his senior season. That said, Nelson is clearly the better of the two, and you pretty much never see him get beat. You see McGlinchey occasionally getting beat.
        Last edited by CheyennePress; 04-12-2018, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• I didn’t read through 1000 posts to see the prevailing opinions on Nelson, but I’m all in.

I hate watching college tape because I can never tell if a players skills will translate. RB’s will never see the holes they do in college, QB’s and WR’s will never see overmatched DB’s and broken coverages.

That being said, when I see Nelson, I see consistent first downs on 3rd and 2. The guy is dominating the line of scrimmage and if he’s there at our pick, I want him.

Comment

• You can never have enough OL (especially quality ones )
            "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

No, because he would not be the highest rated player on the board. McGlinchey is considered a solid, yet unspectacular tackle. With Nelson, we already know we are getting a special, rare, dominant guard and that's why he fits the best-player-available description.

When I watch this:

I see McGlinchey being owned by Bradley Chubb, which tells me he's not an elite tackle prospect to handle an elite edge prospect. Also, I can't stop noticing how dominant Nelson is snap after snap.

If we don't go with a QB, the consensus top-3 players in this draft are Nelson, Chubb and Barkley. I want one of them and one will 100% be there at #5.

I love Nelson the player, not necessarily the position. I want to come out of the draft with the best players.
              Agreed.

At this point, IMO, you then have to examine which of these three players gives the team a better opportunity to win now AND in the future.
              (Assuming each player enters the league playing maxed out on Madden level.)

RB Saquon Barkley
              NFL Lifespan: shortest of three, OL>DE>RB
              Current Highest Salary Average Per Year: $14.5M Bell-Pitt
              On Feild Time: Most offensive downs, not all.
              Features: Think Ezekiel Elliott in Denver but without Dallas' OL.
              Position Dependency: Denver's Offensive line. Denver's Offensive line.

OL Quenton Nelson
              NFL Lifespan: longest of three, OL>DE>RB
              Current Highest Salary Average Per Year: $13.3M Norwell-Jax
              On Feild Time: All offensive downs, and some special teams
              Features: B.F.F. to QB and RB. May be able to play OT.
              Position Dependency: None; Lonewolf able to support T and C in play.

DE Bradley Chubb
              NFL Lifespan: second longest of three, OL>DE>RB
              Current Highest Salary Average Per Year: $19.1M Miller-Den
              On Feild Time: Majority of defensive downs.
              Features: Sacks. Turnovers. TFLs.
              Position Dependency: None; Lonewolf at DE or OLB?

I might be in the minority here, but the answer for me is easy: OG Quenton Nelson.

(Followed by OT Brian O'Neill (later) in the draft as a hybrid T/TE/FB three-headed beast. )

Comment

• I dont usually get excited watching offensive line play but i love watching this kid play. Maybe its cause ive had to watch our o line struggle so much but i want him at 5 if hes there. Chubb would be second as id be interested to see him with our d.
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  Menelik Watson is unreliable and has never been available for an entire season. If not for his injury, he would have been released, and may still be. He is not starting material and would be dead weight occupying a roster spot that could go to a more promising player. With Watson on the roster, Denver would need nine O-Linemen. With Watson active on game day, Denver would need eight OL active. Since he's just about always on IR, might as well put him on IR, ... or release him.

I agree that Quinton Nelson could probably play RT in a pinch. Billy Turner and Cyrus Kouandijo played well at RT last year (Turner 46 snaps against the Giants, Kouandijo 65 snaps against the Chiefs) and can provide depth. Turner is a G/T having played T in college. The big question is depth at LT. If for the sake of discussion the five are Bolles-Leary-McGovern-Nelson-Veldheer, the best backup LT is Veldheer. If seven OL are active on game day, the backups are an inside guy and an outside guy. In this hypothetical scenario, that might be Paradis and Turner; or, it could be Dielman and Turner with Turner providing depth at G and RT.

IMO Max Garcia is on the bubble to make the roster. As a G he is consistently beat off the LOS in pass protection. He's good as a run blocker, but sometimes misses on pulls. Paradis hasn't helped him with some line calls which have made Max look bad, like being asked to reach a 1 tech on a run play to the right. I agree that his best spot might be Center. If the coaches want to help him, that's where he should practice. That could create a log jam with four Centers, but each guy needs to find his best spot. If Connor McGovern joined Bolles, Leary, Nelson and Veldheer as one of the five, he'd be at Center.

Besides Watson and Garcia whose jobs may be in jeopardy, Denver has four other O-Linemen who came into the league via the Draft: Cyrus Kouandijo (2014 #44); Billy Turner (2014 #67); Jeremiah Poutasi (2015 #66); and, J.J. Dielman (2017 # 176) In the scenario where Quinton Nelson is Denver's choice at #5, these four guys are legitimate contenders to make the roster for depth.

An O-Line of Bolles-Leary-McGovern-Nelson-Veldheer could generate a heck of a rushing attack without adding a sixth linemen in the way Musgrave did at Oakland. With that starting five if he added a sixth guy, it would cause major adjustments on the part of the opposing D.

Identify and start the best five O-Linemen shuffling them to their best spots. If one of the five can't go, bring in number six and reshuffle, if necessary.

There is no doubt in my mind that Quinton Nelson is one of the five best players in this year's draft pool. I'm sure Denver will get a great player at #5. If that turns out to be Quinton Nelson, he is a day one starter. I'm not sure that would be true of other top five guys Denver will have the opportunity to pick. Quinton Nelson would fix Denver's O-Line. The only loose end might be a long term solution for a starting RT. For this year, however, the O-Line would be 100% better than last year.
                  I’d feel a lot better if we got Nelson and a developmental tackle like Miller or Rankins.

Leary and Veldheer have injury history. I’d love to have some depth behind them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
                    I’d feel a lot better if we got Nelson and a developmental tackle like Miller or Rankins.

Leary and Veldheer have injury history. I’d love to have some depth behind them.
                    Sure. Denver may draft a Tackle. Kolton Miller may not be available at #40. Martinas Rankin probably would be as also Tyrell Crosby. Brian O'Neill might be there at #71; Orlando Brown, too. Brandon Parker could be a good developmental prospect at T who might be available in the 4th or 5th round. Denver coached O'Neill and Crosby in the Senior Bowl, so they have a good idea about them. They saw Parker on the North Team in practice and game, so they have a clue about him.

There are depth possibilities already on the roster. As far as I could tell, the best snaps Denver got at the RT position in 2017 were Billy Turner's 46 snaps against the Giants and Cyrus Kouandijo's 65 snaps against the Chiefs. Kouandijo looks like a RT to me while Turner can play inside/outside. Jeremiah Poutasi looks like a RG to me, especially on angle blocked run plays.

With O-Linemen one can't really evaluate how they look in comparison to each other and working against front seven defenders until the hats and pads go on and the hitting begins. End of July? The first day of full contact is exciting. Who looked good in shorts will also look good in pads? Who will be the first guy to the training room? Who is fighting his way to the front of the line? Who is ready to step up and hit somebody? Those are some of the questions which will be answered.

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      Sure. Denver may draft a Tackle. Kolton Miller may not be available at #40. Martinas Rankin probably would be as also Tyrell Crosby. Brian O'Neill might be there at #71; Orlando Brown, too. Brandon Parker could be a good developmental prospect at T who might be available in the 4th or 5th round. Denver coached O'Neill and Crosby in the Senior Bowl, so they have a good idea about them. They saw Parker on the North Team in practice and game, so they have a clue about him.

There are depth possibilities already on the roster. As far as I could tell, the best snaps Denver got at the RT position in 2017 were Billy Turner's 46 snaps against the Giants and Cyrus Kouandijo's 65 snaps against the Chiefs. Kouandijo looks like a RT to me while Turner can play inside/outside. Jeremiah Poutasi looks like a RG to me, especially on angle blocked run plays.

With O-Linemen one can't really evaluate how they look in comparison to each other and working against front seven defenders until the hats and pads go on and the hitting begins. End of July? The first day of full contact is exciting. Who looked good in shorts will also look good in pads? Who will be the first guy to the training room? Who is fighting his way to the front of the line? Who is ready to step up and hit somebody? Those are some of the questions which will be answered.
                      With Turner and Kouandijo, did they just look passable relative to Watson and Stephenson? Or did they look like solid starters?

If the latter, I’m curious why they didnt stick with Turner since the Giants game was early in the season.

Comment

• Still the best reason to draft Nelson....He is the most consistent and most dominant player at his position in the entire draft. He is the type of player that would be at the top of the draft each and every year. That is the type of player you want at #5.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
                          With Turner and Kouandijo, did they just look passable relative to Watson and Stephenson? Or did they look like solid starters?

If the latter, I’m curious why they didnt stick with Turner since the Giants game was early in the season.
                          Turner and Kouandijo look like solid depth guys which is what you expressed concern about in post #1058. They looked a lot better to me than Watson and Stephenson. Turner was listed as a G when he went into the game at RTafter Watson left with an injury. Stephenson wasn't active that week.

Billy Turner broke his hand/wrist and went on IR the Tuesday after the Giants game. The only sack he gave up was to JPP on the play when he got hurt. He stayed in the game and played 'til the end for another 15 snaps. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he might have started at RT especially in view of the fact that Watson went on IR after seven games.

Comment

• Thanks for clarifying. Good to know we might already have backup depth.

Both McShay and Kiper have Kolton Miller and Orlando Brown available at 40. That would be pretty sweet though I don’t believe that will happen.

Comment

• Also,.,simple caveman question: why are we picking at 40 and 71 rather than 37 and 69?

How did we get pushed down?

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                                Still the best reason to draft Nelson....He is the most consistent and most dominant player at his position in the entire draft. He is the type of player that would be at the top of the draft each and every year. That is the type of player you want at #5.
                                No kidding. I can't imagine a player Denver might be able to draft at #5 who would have more of an impact on the team that Quinton Nelson. He would make the guys on either side of him look good, and would be the glue to hold the line together.

Comment

Working...
                                X