Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasons to draft Quenton Nelson

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Diggs4
    If you draft a multiple year pro bowl player with your 1st round pick, that's a win.

    And I can play that name dropping game too,

    I'm sure the colts thought they were expecting more out of Trent Richardson back in the day,or remeber McFadden was a top 5 pick ?
    How about Amari Cooper, you think the Raiders signed up for his production?
    What about the dolphins sith Dion Jordan ?
    What about the Jets and Mark Sanchez?

    The list goes on.... my point is you just don't know how guys will pan out, and ya "we're the broncos" but we can't afford to miss on a first round pick, again......

    All I'm saying is, I wouldn't hate taking a linemen and it's a lower risk.
    The list goes on? I could put up a ton of Olineman that were drafted in the top 5 too that didn't pan out and were busts. No player is a for sure thing. None. I rather risk getting the next Peterson . Will Hernandez is who we should be drafting....in the 2nd. Not 5th overall. It's kind of crazy to sit here and act like he 100% is going to be a hall of famer like most of you are acting.
    Last edited by Montoya; 01-14-2018, 11:09 AM.

    Comment


    • Let’s do a thought experiment:

      Say Nelson turns out to be Zach Martin, and Chubb is Von Miller, and Fitz is Earl Thomas, Barkley is L-Bell, McGlinch is a stud LT, and Baker is Brees and Allen is Wentz....

      If this is the case, with all the viable options at 5 (assuming Darnold and Rosen are long gone)....

      Who wants which prospect?

      Again, interior OL are much easier to find by scouring practice squads, sifting thro unheralded free agents, or uncovering in the middle to later rounds.... failed OTs can be converted....

      I’m not against Nelson.... OG/OC are rocks you build a foundation upon... but they aren’t dynamic playmakers. Those types are really hard to find... rare gems, usually only available early in drafts.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
        Let’s do a thought experiment:

        Say Nelson turns out to be Zach Martin, and Chubb is Von Miller, and Fitz is Earl Thomas, Barkley is L-Bell, McGlinch is a stud LT, and Baker is Brees and Allen is Wentz....

        If this is the case, with all the viable options at 5 (assuming Darnold and Rosen are long gone)....

        Who wants which prospect?

        Again, interior OL are much easier to find by scouring practice squads, sifting thro unheralded free agents, or uncovering in the middle to later rounds.... failed OTs can be converted....

        I’m not against Nelson.... OG/OC are rocks you build a foundation upon... but they aren’t dynamic playmakers. Those types are really hard to find... rare gems, usually only available early in drafts.
        So we're taking free agency out completely here and we still have all the needs that we still have. I'm taking Mayfield (Brees) because he will elevate all players around him. His release is so quick that neutralizes the need for a superstar left tackle or superstar C/G. Good oline play is still needed but he makes up for mistakes made up front.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
          We have a huge lack of talent on the offense. We are likely to lose Sanders this season and DT next season. Our 2 best players on offense. Unless your thrilled with the in house options, taking Nelson this early almost forces us to spend big in FA or reach on a skill position next year.
          If Cousins is signed, this plan makes far more sense because Nelson is a great player to pair with Bolles. If we end up with one of the other vets and minus Sanders(most likely scenario), I doubt Nelson is even considered......not at 5.

          I think our first 2 picks should be used on OLine and a skill position. With as many as 5 QBs and 5 dbs going in the 1st plus several WRs in the mix we could have a really nice skill player or lineman fall to our early 2nd.

          If we could end up with Cousins, Nelson and lets say Sony Michel in the 2nd, that is an incredible haul.
          i would love that!!!!
          sigpic

          Comment


          • Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
            i would love that!!!!
            I don't know how anybody wouldn't love that, instant turnaround

            Comment


            • Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
              That is just a career list.....here is a more accurate one regarding starters. They used the criteria of starting at least half of your games since being drafted.

              https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/...draft-by-round
              From the article.....
              There is a very high bust rate for RBs. The first round gives you a 58% chance of finding a starter followed by 25% in the second, 16% in the third, 11% in the fourth, 9% in the fifth, 6% in the sixth and 0% in the 7th

              OL- the first round has an 83% success rate. The second round is almost as good with 70%. Even the third and fourth aren't too shabby in comparison to success rates of other positions in the same rounds. (3rd - 40%, 4th - 29%).

              We are looking for starters not bodies. This tells us that of all positions OL is the most likely position to find a starter after Rd 1. This also shows the best RBs are taken in Rd 1.
              on average...the best at every position is in round 1
              sigpic

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Montoya View Post
                The list goes on? I could put up a ton of Olineman that were drafted in the top 5 too that didn't pan out and were busts. No player is a for sure thing. None. I rather risk getting the next Peterson . Will Hernandez is who we should be drafting....in the 2nd. Not 5th overall. It's kind of crazy to sit here and act like he 100% is going to be a hall of famer like most of you are acting.
                I don't think any of us are saying that. IMO, he was the most dominant player at his position in the entire draft though. Isn't that the type of player we want to draft? Guys that dominated at the highest level in college? What more could you ask of a player? They were talking about his NFL potential as a freshman....3 years ago, and he has only gotten better since then.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                  Let’s do a thought experiment:

                  Say Nelson turns out to be Zach Martin, and Chubb is Von Miller, and Fitz is Earl Thomas, Barkley is L-Bell, McGlinch is a stud LT, and Baker is Brees and Allen is Wentz....

                  If this is the case, with all the viable options at 5 (assuming Darnold and Rosen are long gone)....

                  Who wants which prospect?

                  Again, interior OL are much easier to find by scouring practice squads, sifting thro unheralded free agents, or uncovering in the middle to later rounds.... failed OTs can be converted....

                  I’m not against Nelson.... OG/OC are rocks you build a foundation upon... but they aren’t dynamic playmakers. Those types are really hard to find... rare gems, usually only available early in drafts.
                  In your scenario, I would take Baker. I wish we could look into the future and plan for the draft accordingly but it doesn't work like that.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                    So we're taking free agency out completely here and we still have all the needs that we still have. I'm taking Mayfield (Brees) because he will elevate all players around him. His release is so quick that neutralizes the need for a superstar left tackle or superstar C/G. Good oline play is still needed but he makes up for mistakes made up front.
                    Exactly, with poor QB play second half of 2015 and all of 2016.... Denver never lost a road DIV game and won a SB. Why? B/C QB meant the difference in making up for poor OL play too.

                    Comment


                    • I don't see a problem with going Quenton Nelson in the first, especially if we are getting Cousins. Only question to ask is if a) is Garcia no longer a de-facto starter, and b) ask if McGovern an option at G. If the answer is no to either, there should be no hesitation to get him. We will likely have the pick of the litter for almost any position we want at 5. minus QB.
                      Superbowl 50 Champions!

                      Comment


                      • Thread cleaned.

                        Reminder to everyone. This is not the Smack forum.
                        Administrator

                        #Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

                        #LupusAwarenessMonth

                        "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                          Let’s do a thought experiment:

                          Say Nelson turns out to be Zach Martin, and Chubb is Von Miller, and Fitz is Earl Thomas, Barkley is L-Bell, McGlinch is a stud LT, and Baker is Brees and Allen is Wentz....

                          If this is the case, with all the viable options at 5 (assuming Darnold and Rosen are long gone)....

                          Who wants which prospect?

                          Again, interior OL are much easier to find by scouring practice squads, sifting thro unheralded free agents, or uncovering in the middle to later rounds.... failed OTs can be converted....

                          I’m not against Nelson.... OG/OC are rocks you build a foundation upon... but they aren’t dynamic playmakers. Those types are really hard to find... rare gems, usually only available early in drafts.
                          As is with no FA? Baker. However, if we get Cousins, the whole dynamic changes.
                          What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                          I don't know and I don't care

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                            As is with no FA? Baker. However, if we get Cousins, the whole dynamic changes.
                            yep. Everything literally hinges on whether or not we're getting Kirk Cousins or a similarly skilled FA. I'm quite sure this is what Elway wants as well, as getting a rookie QB is by far a larger risk and maybe not worth the cap savings if we miss playoffs again.
                            Superbowl 50 Champions!

                            Comment


                            • So true. Any mock before free agency is not even innuendo.... the picture becomes clearer when you see what needs are addressed before the draft. More so this year bc DEN cannot live with their current QB play.

                              If DEN gets a Keenum, Cousins or Bridgewater I’m free agency then they might not draft a QB early.... if they can’t get a QB, there will be 1 taken in the first 2 picks.

                              Comment


                              • Say Nelson turns out to be Zach Martin, and Chubb is Von Miller, and Fitz is Earl Thomas, Barkley is L-Bell, McGlinch is a stud LT, and Baker is Brees and Allen is Wentz....
                                Using a scale that combines position value, and what you can possibly get out of a pick I'd say their value is:

                                Baker=Brees: 100%
                                Allen=Wentz: 100%
                                Chubb=Miller: 95%
                                Fitz=Earl Thomas: 90%
                                McGlinchy=Joe Thomas: 90%
                                Nelson=Martin 80%
                                Barkley=Bell 55%

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X