This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons to draft Quenton Nelson

Many of you know, this is my pick for the first round..be it at #5 or be it with a trade down, I don't care. I think he is the best player in the draft, bar none.
    Post your ideas here. I'll start

This is a clip of a guy who usually posts very good analysis of draftees.

sigpic

I wouldn't have any problem taking him at 5 as long as a quality QB was already signed in FA. I agree with you this guy is the most dominate G to come out in some time. My only concern is what is being done at RT? wouldn't McGlinchy be the better pick?

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
      I wouldn't have any problem taking him at 5 as long as a quality QB was already signed in FA. I agree with you this guy is the most dominate G to come out in some time. My only concern is what is being done at RT? wouldn't McGlinchy be the better pick?
      We need an OT more than an OG but Nelson is the better player, imo, and we need both. The OT we have might also play better with better interior help.
      sigpic

Comment

Fully expect a snide remark from a few people (you know who you are) that don't understand how good this dude is, because he is a "true guard" and not a tackle moving to guard lol

However, I'll add a couple.

1. He is good enough to be the foundation/rock of an offensive line for the next decade for a team.

2. He will instantly make Bolles' job easier. With a player like Nelson, you're potentially upgrading at not one, but two positions just because of how good he is.

I truly believe that some of the people that don't want us drafting him, haven't actually watched him. They're just making assumptions based on his position.

The man not only held his own, but dominated EVERY single opponent.
        Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 01-13-2018, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
          Fully expect a snide remark from a few people (you know who you are) that don't understand how good this dude is, because he is a "true guard" and not a tackle moving to guard lol

However, I'll add a couple.

1. He is good enough to be the foundation/rock of an offensive line for the next decade for a team.

2. He will instantly make Bolles' job easier. With a player like Nelson, you're potentially upgrading at not one, but two positions just because of how good he is.

I truly believe that some of the people that don't want us drafting him, haven't actually watched him. They're just making assumptions based on his position.

The man not only held his own, but dominated EVERY single opponent.
          That is one of the reasons I want him on the team. Every really good Oline has at least one great player they can build around. We don't have one of those guys yet and until we do, the Oline will never be that good.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes...I. concur, let's get him. I want him now more than everrrrrrrr!!!!!! Absolutely a must have!!!
            We could have had Lamar Jackson *LJ for M.V.P*

Comment

Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
              Yes...I. concur, let's get him. I want him now more than everrrrrrrr!!!!!! Absolutely a must have!!!
              agreed
              sigpic

Comment

Nelson at #5 would be fine with me. The O-Line has several holes to fill and a great LG would fill one. In the event a free agent QB is already signed, Denver could address the Tackle issue and draft one at #40 or #71. If not, re-sign Billy Turner and/or Allen Barbre and hope for the best from Cyrus Kouandijo, or try to find a FA Tackle, but they are expensive. I think we've seen enough from Donald Stephenson and Menelik Watson to know they aren't the answer.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Here are some blurbs from a 49ers writer saying the same things some of us have been saying about Nelson:

It wouldn’t be the flashiest of picks, but the San Francisco 49ers would be wise to grab Notre Dame offensive guard Quenton Nelson with their first selection in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Sure, the sexier pick would be someone like Penn State running back Saquon Barkley. Or an elite EDGE like NC State’s Bradley Chubb.

But Nelson is the smarter pick.

-Invests in Garoppolo
                  -Invests in run game
                  -Counters Aaron Donald
                  -Counters Seahawks DL
                  -Raises bar on OL
                  -Brings attitude

49ers O-Line a Primary Weakness
                  The Niners O-line might be moderately improved over the crop we saw in 2016, but not by much.

In the bigger picture, though, grabbing a player like Nelson would help ensure the team’s biggest new asset, quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, is adequately protected in coming seasons.

Quenton Nelson Scouting Report
                  Our friend Jon Dove over at With the First Pick broke down some of Nelson’s strengths and weaknesses:

His dominance as a run blocker starts with his low pad level which he uses to help him roll his hips and deliver a jolt. That initial jolt is more effective because Nelson is committed to gaining inside hands. He then velcros to this target and generates a push.

Nelson’s heavy hands make it difficult for the defender to disengage and help him control the action. This is also a nasty player who plays to the whistle and wants to deliver punishment. …

His pass protection could use some work, but he has an elite anchor. He is able to absorb contact, hold his ground and keep pressure out of the quarterbacks face.

The area where he needs some work is protecting the gaps. Nelson doesn’t have great lateral quickness which makes him susceptible to quicker pass rushers. Some of these issues are related to his less than ideal awareness.

Some of these traits can be seen on tape, and we looked at a 2016 clip versus Virginia Tech for some relevant examples:

Sure, this would mean passing up on a player like Barkley. But Barkley isn’t a top need. And what’s the point of a top-tier running back without an effective O-line in front of him.
                  sigpic

Comment

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members...hp?pyid=130728
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

We draft fifth and I think there are only two QB's worthy of drafting top 10. We going to pay a terrible price to draft either of them
                      If they are both gone I think drafting Nelson would be a good choice.

Comment

Sike!!!!! No guard at 5......absolutely NOT!!!! Each prospect has a high light reel of making them look great......

Trading out the top ten to get him....I will agree 11-19....
                        We could have had Lamar Jackson *LJ for M.V.P*

Comment

Sike!!!!! No guard at 5......absolutely NOT!!!! Each prospect has a high light reel of making them look great......

Then don't watch the highlight reel. YouTube his games. He is legit.

Here's a question. If you could get a player of Steve Hutchisons caliber in the draft at 5, do you do it?
                          Steve fricking Hutchison, because there is a consensus out there that this guy is that good. Or for the young ones Zach Martin. If you can get that guy and you have all ready addressed qb, then hell yes you do
                          I need more Oline, please and thank you

Comment

blurb from your link:

Years ago, left tackles were the premier players among offensive linemen with most serving as the blindside pass protector for their club's right-handed quarterbacks and often facing opponents' top rusher.

Defenses are much more complicated in today's game with some of the NFL's most effective sack artists now gap-splitting defensive tackles or edge rushers looping inside after initially lining up on the outside. The straightest line to the quarterback, after all, is right up the middle.

As such, difference-makers along the interior of the offensive line have become very nearly as valuable as tackles in the modern NFL. This is especially true for blockers like Nelson, who not only are effective in pass protection but dominant run blockers, as well.

Nelson redshirted his first season at Notre Dame but has more than lived up to his prep All-American billing since, starting every game but one over the past three seasons at left guard, allowing zero QB sacks (or even hits) over the past two years and helping the Irish average an eye-popping 6.4 rushing yards per attempt in 2017.

Generally, running backs get most of the credit when teams run the ball this effectively but it was Nelson who was voted team MVP during the awards banquet. Nelson was just the third blocker for the Irish to ever be so honored in the school's 97-year history and the first since guard Al Wujciak in 1975.

Massive, mobile and mean, Nelson is a prototypical guard who will be expected to not only make an immediate impact for his future NFL team but compete for future Pro Bowls, much like his predecessor with the Irish, current Dallas Cowboys' second year All-Pro Zack Martin. Just like Martin - the 16th overall pick in 2014 - Nelson ranks among the safest prospects in the 2018 NFL draft.
                            sigpic

Comment

He very well might not make it out of the top 10, let alone down around 19. He also, very well might be BPA at 5.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X