Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 free agency and trades

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    I'm guessing as soon as Gase heard it was Elway on the phone asking about James, he slammed the phone down, then resigned him out of spite lol.

    Anyway, I'm usually pretty optimistic, but it's been a dispointing offseason so far. The only people that disagree have to be so far in denial.

    Hopefully the draft turns things around
    Per Nicki Jhabvala, only 7 draft picks are left on roster from 2011-2015 drafts. That’s disappointing.

    Comment


    • I wrote in another thread that perhaps we have "overpaid" in past, because here we are, with little spending room, and but a small group of above average players. I am not so sure that low balling now will ease that situation. We need more above average players, and even if we overpay a bit, I think it fine. Otherwise tear down some of what we have and refresh as necessary.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        I wrote in another thread that perhaps we have "overpaid" in past, because here we are, with little spending room, and but a small group of above average players. I am not so sure that low balling now will ease that situation. We need more above average players, and even if we overpay a bit, I think it fine. Otherwise tear down some of what we have and refresh as necessary.
        Ok, who in free agency should we have signed then, take what they got and obviously we would need to add even more money, Example should we have signed Nate Solder for $17 million a year or Justin Pugh to a $10 million a year deal?
        sigpic

        Comment


        • Peyton is the one who kept the ship afloat, starting to become pretty clear now.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
            Peyton is the one who kept the ship afloat, starting to become pretty clear now.
            He's not coming back so need somebody to step up, Case Keenum gonna need to earn that money and get this offense going.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
              Peyton is the one who kept the ship afloat, starting to become pretty clear now.
              I don't think this is true, Elway gambled on the QB position and lost. This hurts, it's the most important position in professional sports.
              What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
              I don't know and I don't care

              Comment


              • Thankfully Latimer is finally gone. Best move of the offseason was not bringing that bum back to Denver. Huge bust.
                2016 Adopt-A-Bronco: CB-Chris Harris Jr.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                  Ok, who in free agency should we have signed then, take what they got and obviously we would need to add even more money, Example should we have signed Nate Solder for $17 million a year or Justin Pugh to a $10 million a year deal?
                  It was a general comment about the state of this team at this time. We have spent a lot, and do not have a lot of above average players. So when I hear folks saying that we should pay less, not more, I ask how that makes us a better overall team, dollar wise. It means that we must drop or shave some salaries, to remain competitive. And it also means that, if we have some holes, we should be pretty assertive about filling them.....even if not Oline related. And most of this is still ok, unless we draft a QB and rely on our picks from round two onward to complete our roster. And even this is not terribly bad, unless we move up and lose most of the good picks.

                  BTW...Pugh was just over $9 per year.....what do you think a decent Guard is worth?
                  Last edited by CanDB; 03-19-2018, 01:47 PM.

                  Comment


                  • There are different ways of evaluating draft success but Klis did have this article from earlier this year ...

                    http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denv...best/494620918

                    The success of drafting generally needs to be better than other teams, that is the competition. It would be nice to be hitting on almost all picks but that is not what happens with most teams, or any teams. There have been many QBs, for instance drafted in the 1st round that have not panned out. IDK for sure but I think most 1st round QBs do not become franchise QBs ... maybe somebody has done that research?
                    Elway, overall has done an average job drafting when compared to other GMs/teams. Klis' article shows that Elway has done better than most teams/GMs when it comes to players longevity with the team.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • Elway needs to draft players that can contribute right away. He has become enamored with players that are projects and have drafted far too many with too little return. We drafted Paxton Lynch over Myles Jack, Sterling Shepard, Michael Thomas and Derrick Henry. We also drafted him in front of Sua Cravens, who we are apparently trying to trade for. That can't happen anymore. We need play makers with these picks.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                        There are different ways of evaluating draft success but Klis did have this article from earlier this year ...

                        http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denv...best/494620918

                        The success of drafting generally needs to be better than other teams, that is the competition. It would be nice to be hitting on almost all picks but that is not what happens with most teams, or any teams. There have been many QBs, for instance drafted in the 1st round that have not panned out. IDK for sure but I think most 1st round QBs do not become franchise QBs ... maybe somebody has done that research?
                        Elway, overall has done an average job drafting when compared to other GMs/teams. Klis' article shows that Elway has done better than most teams/GMs when it comes to players longevity with the team.
                        Success in the draft is not always measurable right away.

                        Looking at the draft grads from last year, who would have through the Eagles would have won the SB? Both the Browns and 49ers had an A grade from many commentators with the Redskins not far behind.

                        An average to above average draft is not the end all. It's just another step in the process of getting a team together to take to camp where the real works happens.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          I wrote in another thread that perhaps we have "overpaid" in past, because here we are, with little spending room, and but a small group of above average players. I am not so sure that low balling now will ease that situation. We need more above average players, and even if we overpay a bit, I think it fine. Otherwise tear down some of what we have and refresh as necessary.
                          Can you be specific about who we "overpaid" for in the past? And are we talking about Free Agents? Because we all know what John Elway said about Free Agency and his unwillingness to pay Top Dollar for Average talent, or Average money for below average players. And by "spending room", what are you talking about? Cap space? Because we are pretty much in the middle of the Pack on that front.

                          Every year it's the same thing. A couple of days after Free Agency begins, and teams over-spend for Free Agents, it's always "Our off-season has been a complete failure". Elway has a philosophy that he is sticking with. I find Elways ability to avoid reactionary, knee-jerk moves to be the correct and professional way to go.

                          Comment


                          • Chargers signed C Mike Pouncey to a two-year contract.

                            In large part due to a lingering hip injury, Pouncey's effectiveness waned in 2017 with the Dolphins, but he is still only 28 years old and should be recovered now. Pouncey has stated he will eventually need a hip replacement. The Chargers' offensive line is shaping up, from left to right, as LT Russell Okung > LG Dan Feeney > C Pouney > RG Forrest Lamp > RT Joe Barskdale. If the unit stays healthy, this line has a chance to be a top-ten group.

                            Related: Dolphins

                            Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • Free Agency is a work in progress just not completed in 1 day.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                                Chargers signed C Mike Pouncey to a two-year contract.

                                In large part due to a lingering hip injury, Pouncey's effectiveness waned in 2017 with the Dolphins, but he is still only 28 years old and should be recovered now. Pouncey has stated he will eventually need a hip replacement. The Chargers' offensive line is shaping up, from left to right, as LT Russell Okung > LG Dan Feeney > C Pouney > RG Forrest Lamp > RT Joe Barskdale. If the unit stays healthy, this line has a chance to be a top-ten group.

                                Related: Dolphins

                                Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
                                I think when its all said and done the Chargers will have a real bad O-Line. Pouncey is a mental case and has health issues and Russel Okung can he really stay healthy?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X