Trading up to #4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading up to #4

I had the idea to trade up to the No. 4 spot (currently held by the Browns) in order to select QB Baker Mayfield.
    With the Jets trading up it's almost certain, that there will be a run on QBs early in the draft. Cleveland probably will select QB Sam Darnold #1 because he could easily be NYJs target. I feel like the Jets trading up will prevent Barkley from being the #1, because #4 would just be too uncertain to select your franchise QB if you're not in love with all four of them. The Browns really don't have the luxury not to select a QB.
    #2 will probably be Josh Rosen then and #3 would be Josh Allen.
    Leaving Mayfield at #4.

Cleveland probably would take a lot of calls from teams like the Bills who would want to leapfrog the Broncos. Trading up in advance would prevent that to happen.
    If both Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield get picked before No. 4 that would leave another QB of the 4 open (most likely Josh Allen) and Denver would be able to trade back with Buffalo.
    Cleveland probably would accept the trade because they still would get their guy (Barkley) at #5, so we wouldn't have to give up too much.
    That way we would get the security, that no other team can jump ahead of us to grab a QB (of course the Giants may sell their pick but that wouldn't change the number of QBs taken before it's our turn).

In general it would be paying a little bit more (I could imagine the #5 and next years 2nd round pick could be enough considering the Browns would get the exact player they wanted anyway) to get more security (no team can pick the 4th QB ahead of us) and more options (possible trade down would have far more value as a QB is still available).

Any thoughts?

only if it cost Denver 2 day 3 draft picks
    "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

Comment

Originally posted by munoz1987 View Post
      only if it cost Denver 2 day 3 draft picks
      It would probably cost about as much/less than the Bears had to give up to move up one spot last year. 2 3rds or 1 2nd next year should be the reasonable

Comment

All i know is we are in dire need to find a franchise Qb. They are worth their weight in gold. I cant tell you from a professional level if any of the qbs coming out are gonna be the real deal or not but if theres 1 in particular that has all the intangibles and the majority of the professionals feel he is gonna be great you have to move up and get him. If all the qbs are ranked pretty even and its felt there isnt a ton of gap between em you take who drops to you. This draft class to me is stacked with lots of talent a lot of different positions. I feel confident were gonna end up with some really good players.

Comment

What’s the point? I can’t see the browns passing on Barkley. We don’t need to move to 4 becuase they won’t be willing to move out of the top 10 and miss Barkley. I just can’t see them doing it. Them signing Carlos Hyde means little to nothing the worst that happens is they have two good runningbacks to help out thier rookie. We would be duped into giving them picks for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
            What’s the point? I can’t see the browns passing on Barkley. We don’t need to move to 4 becuase they won’t be willing to move out of the top 10 and miss Barkley. I just can’t see them doing it. Them signing Carlos Hyde means little to nothing the worst that happens is they have two good runningbacks to help out thier rookie. We would be duped into giving them picks for no reason.
            I find it odd that they also brought duke Johnson back as well.

Comment

What’s the point? I can’t see the browns passing on Barkley.
              If the Giants don't draft him first.

Comment

I agree with shank.... nothing short of moving to 1 or 2 changes our fortune IMO...

The jets move really affected the status quo and that’ll make his draft really interesting. I am hoping we don’t go QB for the simple reason I want a day 1starter
                sigpic

Comment

So you think Cleveland wouldn't consider trading down if the Bills come up with both of their 1st rounders and even more picks without a nice offer from the Broncos?
                  Barkley is great but come on. On the other hand if they get a little extra from Denver for the pick they will see themselves as the winner and would accept that offer over the one from the Bills most likely

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                    I agree with shank.... nothing short of moving to 1 or 2 changes our fortune IMO...

The jets move really affected the status quo and that’ll make his draft really interesting. I am hoping we don’t go QB for the simple reason I want a day 1starter
                    Its very possible that Rosen could beat keenum in training camp. I recall Carr wasnt supposed to be the starter but he clearly beat out the other qb that was supposed to start.....think it was flynn maybe im wrong but theres been times were a team pays a fa Qb only to have a rookie take over very quickly .

Comment

Originally posted by Hph5 View Post
                      If the Giants don't draft him first.
                      With Eli being 37 years old I can’t see the giants passing on the opportunity to draft his successor at #2. It’s not like Eli is playing lights out either.

Comment

Originally posted by Bögi View Post
                        So you think Cleveland wouldn't consider trading down if the Bills come up with both of their 1st rounders and even more picks without a nice offer from the Broncos?
                        Barkley is great but come on. On the other hand if they get a little extra from Denver for the pick they will see themselves as the winner and would accept that offer over the one from the Bills most likely
                        That’s the other issue. In order to prevent a team from jumping ahead of us we would have to give the browns a ridiculous offer just to move one spot. For example the bills offer both 1st a second and third and next years 1st to get the 4th what do we offer to match?

Comment

The Jets probably called the Giants and Browns about moving up in the draft. Buffalo is also calling.

If the Browns pass on Barkley at number 1. The Giants will think long and hard between a QB and Barkley. I think they will draft Barkley. Jets will draft a QB. Browns will go BPA or trade down.

There is no need to trade up.

Comment

With Eli being 37 years old I can’t see the giants passing on the opportunity to draft his successor at #2. It’s not like Eli is playing lights out either.
                            Yup it makes since

Comment

That’s the other issue. In order to prevent a team from jumping ahead of us we would have to give the browns a ridiculous offer just to move one spot. For example the bills offer both 1st a second and third and next years 1st to get the 4th what do we offer to match?
                              We have the #5 OVR, the Bills don't. If they trade with the Bills, they have to give up on Barkley, because he won't be there at #12.
                              He would be there at #5 though, which makes our offer so much more interesting

Comment

Working...
                              X