Drafting a QB, Who I think we should be looking at and a few other tidbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
    He did almost fumble a snap in the rain but never missed a throw....
    That, along with his apparent maturity and leadership makes him the likely #1 pick. Cleveland can not go wrong, landing him as their future franchise QB, plus having a great pick at 4, and two more early in round two. Whether it's Barkley, Nelson, Chubb or Fitz at 4, they are clearly going to upgrade their team, by early round two. Hey, not counting out a trade down for them...even more draft capital.

Comment

Darnold is a lock to go #1. Now the question is what the Giants will do at #2. If they are not taking a QB, I wonder why they did not make the trade with the Jets or why they would not take the king's ransom from the Bills. They must really love Barkley, Nelson or Chubb if that's the case.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
        After sending 7(Elway, VJ, Kubes, Musgrave, random scouts) reps to Mayfield's pro day and 5(Elway, VJ, Kubes, scouts) to Rosen's, none are at Darnold's today and none are going to Allen's on Friday apparently either.

Interesting.
        Don't they know how to get to Laramie?
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
          Darnold is a lock to go #1. Now the question is what the Giants will do at #2. If they are not taking a QB, I wonder why they did not make the trade with the Jets or why they would not take the king's ransom from the Bills. They must really love Barkley, Nelson or Chubb if that's the case.
          It may not mean much but the bills gm worked under dave gettleman so they have a history. Maybe the price was too much for the jets and the bills arent sure yet if they want to pay the price. That trade may not happen until draft day

Sam, someone messed up and told them just to go up i25 instead of 287
          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
            You can’t take 1 of these 4-5 QBs in this draft ahead of Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, Fitz, and James. Those guys are too good. Sure, all 4-5 guys have potential and hope... but for the 1 team that hits in their lottery ticket they’ll be 3-4 who go bust.

And... to pass on a 7-10 year starter and perennial All Pro for a bust is a franchise-killer.

Now, say CLE and NYg go Barkley and Chubb or Nelson in the first 2 picks... Jets grab Rosen or Darnold and CLE goes Fitz at 4... we’ll, maybe you take Rosen...

Otherwise, just grab a Nelson, Barkley, Chubb, James or fitz and plug-n-play rookie stud and be content.

No sense swinging for fences when you can line a solid double in the gap.
            Unless Barkley goes #1, I think at least one QB will be drafted before a non-QB; maybe two or three.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
              There have been MANY posts and comments on these boards about individual players and why we should try to nab them at #5. There does seem to be this one major consensus about the fact that we should nab a QB with the #5 overall pick. Since my opinion differs from what I have seen the norm be here I thought I'd start a healthy discussion on the topic. I have a list of NFL drafts and all of the first rounds QB's taken from 2007 on....

1: JaMarcus Russell, Raiders
              22: Brady Quinn, Browns

3: Matt Ryan, Falcons
              18: Joe Flacco, Ravens

1: Matthew Stafford, Lions
              5: Mark Sanchez, Jets
              17: Josh Freeman, Buccaneers

1: Sam Bradford, Rams
              25: Tim Tebow, Broncos

1: Cam Newton, Panthers
              8: Jake Locker, Titans
              10: Blaine Gabbert, Jaguars
              12: Christian Ponder, Vikings

1: Andrew Luck, Colts
              2: Robert Griffin III, Redskins
              8: Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins
              22: Brandon Weeden, Browns

16: EJ Manuel, Bills

3: Blake Bortles, Jaguars
              22: Johnny Manziel, Browns
              32: Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings

1: Jameis Winston, Buccaneers
              2: Marcus Mariota, Titans

1: Jared Goff, Rams
              2: Carson Wentz, Eagles

26: Paxton Lynch, Broncos

Ultimately the intent of drafting a QB in round 1 is to have them become "your guy". The last draft that produced three QBs in round 1 which would qualify for THAT type of QB play was in 2004 when we saw Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger and J.P. Losman all taken in the 1st round and three of the 4 QBs have ended up being stellar by all accounts for their respective franchises. Another interesting piece right now is that I have been unable to find a draft where three QB's have been take at 1,2 & 3 in the draft nor have I been able to find a draft where 4 QB's have been taken in the top 5. I suppose when you look back at these drafts the closest 'proxy' to having 4 QBs taken in round 1 and having seen each start would be likely 2012....even then those starters on most of those teams did not last very long.

So now that we've seen that generally speaking in history past QB1 & QB2 we generally don't see success. Why would we not look to leverage the excitement of others and trade back to try and obtain additional really high draft picks OR trade up ourselves to #2. History would dictate is the more likely spot you're going to find a long-term QB.

Lastly when I look at the teams who have won or keep winning into the post season there are only 2 models which I have seen work. The first is to draft a QB and ride out their rookie deal and win as many SBs as you can. Put really good pieces around him and hope you can cash in. The second is you NEEED a top 5 QB who elevates just about every player on the roster and then despite the fact that your top 5 QB might command a massive salary their play is just so good you can win it all anyway. I have yet to find a team who like the Vikings have ran out and paid top dollar for a mid-tier QB stats-wise and won it all.

So now that my rant on that is over I'd like to see us approach the draft differently then we have in the past:

In round 1 i'd like us to go after Chubb, Nelson or CB-Ward/Jackson or Fitzpatrick. I'd then want us to trade back into the mid-back end of the 1st to grab one of Da'Ron Payne, Will Hernandez, Arden Key, Orlando Brown or Mike Gesicki. We have tried the model of drafting quantity these past 2-3 years and only a select few of those picks have done much for us. I'd like to see us modify our draft strategy and go for quality to try and really bolster our roster and do so for a few years to come. In my opinion we had three really substantial issues last season: Edge Pass protection (particularly at the RT position), Pass Rush (Particularly up the middle) & Pass protection in the second level of the defense. As an example if we were to get Chubb & Da'Ron then IMO we have gotten far better in the interior and that should help us tremendously going forward. alternatively If we went Chubb & Brown then I think we'd be in good shape as well.

Thoughts and comments - always welcome.
              Chubb and Da'Ron would be an absolute dream, and I could see this playing out.
              "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                Don't they know how to get to Laramie?
                They don't want to drive up from Denver, which is where they would have to stay, unless theyy like staying at a Motel 6.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeGees View Post
                  They don't want to drive up from Denver, which is where they would have to stay, unless theyy like staying at a Motel 6.
                  It's about two hours drive from Denver, as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                    It's about two hours drive from Denver, as I recall.
                    Id lean closer to 3 with how traffic is now. Populations exploded between denver and ft collins
                    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

After all the Mock drafts and opinions going forward what is the best direction with that #5 pick ?

All I will ask for is for them to make it exciting , take that gamble .

Comment

Great post, and right along with what I’ve been thinking all along.

It’s either trade up to #1 or #2 and get your guy, or go another direction at 5 and hope you have something in Kelly, or maybe it clicks for Lynch.

I think staying pat at 5 and taking the 4th Qb would be a massive mistake, when there are some tremendous every 10yr guys on the board in Nelson, Fitzpatrick, or Barkley.

Comment

Darnold's pro day was great. as an SC fan, he's gonna be one of the best the second he steps into the league

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                            Darnold's pro day was great. as an SC fan, he's gonna be one of the best the second he steps into the league
                            I agree, I wander how many phone calls the Giants will get if for some stupid reason the Browns pass on him. I bet the Jets and or Bills would give up every draft pick they have and half of next years to get him.

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                              By that theory we should never draft a quarterback then. There are always going to be better players per different positions

Huh? If there’s a franchise QB to be had minus the flaws this crop has... by all means. Didn’t think my position delved into the realm of thought experiment... when you reach for a good prospect (Mayfield) over elite BPA talent (Nelson, Barkley) you are drafting more on hope than logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                                After sending 7(Elway, VJ, Kubes, Musgrave, random scouts) reps to Mayfield's pro day and 5(Elway, VJ, Kubes, scouts) to Rosen's, none are at Darnold's today and none are going to Allen's on Friday apparently either.

Interesting.
                                Elway probably realizes Darnold a lock to go top 3, and maybe he bluffed NYJ with mayfield... forcing Jets to make a trade and Elway wanted that bc he wants Nelson, Barkley or Chubb (more QBs go top 4 means greater odds Barkley falls).

Comment

Working...
                                X