Inside pass rush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside pass rush?

Who we take at number 5 is driving me crazy, but I think our most pressing need to bring our D back to glory is an every down monster in the middle of our D-Line. Peko did an admirable job for us last year, but he offers little penetration and is getting old.

We are just not the same without Malik. If we continue like last year Von Miller and company will continue to have little impact on opposing qbs.

Do you think we can tweak our system in any way with our current personnel to get more pressure up the middle? I'm not just talking about 3rd down personnel...when we had Malik we could bring it any down.

If not, could a Taven Bryan be that guy for us in the draft?
    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Walker could be something this year, letting him get back to his regular playing wait will be good. Wolfe is apparently healthy so if he is right he can be huge for Denver. The guys we get back that were injured last year will play a big role. I'm excited for the D this year even without the draft.

Comment

I'd be fine with us drafting Chubb. That defense, with a healthy Ray and Shaqem Griffin in the Danny T role, that would be nice.

I agree though, we need to get some inside rush help.
      :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
      sigpic

Comment

I see limiting turnovers and an improved ST as a more significant issues that will help keep points given up down considerably. The offense and ST often put the defense in very bad positions that resulted in TDs for the opponent.
        Could we use more inside pass rush? Of course, but its a matter of how much do we want to spend in the draft to address it relative to other positions and what value is there for inside pass rushers, IMO we would have to use too high a draft pick to make a difference this season. I would address the DL in the 3rd-5th rounds maybe taking 2 DL. I wouldn't use a 1st or 2nd that a Taven Bryan would take.

We do have some prospects that could contribute greatly; Demarcus Walker had the ability in college to generate pass pressure inside, hopefully he can show that this season. McDonald is known to be at least average on the inside pass rush, I see him as a rotation DL. It is hard to get an every down player and be effective.
        In the draft I like Brandon Speaks, Nathan Shepard, De'Shawn Hand, these guys are hard to project but I see them as 3/4th round prospects. I really like Nathan Shepard if he is still there late 3rd.
        Also Kentavious Street in the 5th?
        sigpic

Comment

It will be interesting to see who falls to 40 and who we end up picking. If it’s true that after the run on QBs a lot of teams pick RBs early it could force some quality talent to us. I been seeing Payne fall further and further down the boards but I think Harrison Phillips could be available there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
            It will be interesting to see who falls to 40 and who we end up picking. If it’s true that after the run on QBs a lot of teams pick RBs early it could force some quality talent to us. I been seeing Payne fall further and further down the boards but I think Harrison Phillips could be available there as well.
            I think it will be 1 of.....RB, LB or CB

Comment

Bj hill and phillips (stanford) could be late round prospects
              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

there's no inside pass rusher worth a top 20 pick this year. Next year is they year of the D-lineman. at least 4 DTs will go in the 1st round
                "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                  Originally posted by munoz1987 View Post
                  there's no inside pass rusher worth a top 20 pick this year. Next year is they year of the D-lineman. at least 4 DTs will go in the 1st round
                  Phillips is a stud. He very well might be worth a top 20 pick. I would love to see us get him.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                    Bj hill and phillips (stanford) could be late round prospects
                    Phillips is most likely going 2nd round. He won't fall to the late rounds, imo.
                    sigpic

Comment

Mike Mayock said Nathan Shepard (Fort Hays State) is being compared to Malik Jackson. But he's not a diamond in the rough despite coming from a small school and is already considered a 2nd or 3rd-round prospect.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                        Mike Mayock said Nathan Shepard (Fort Hays State) is being compared to Malik Jackson. But he's not a diamond in the rough despite coming from a small school and is already considered a 2nd or 3rd-round prospect.
                        He was doing well at the senior bowl
                        sigpic

Comment

I am not sure Elway will draft another inside pass rusher, even though DeMarcus Walker looks like a bad pick right now - not big enough to play inside, not athletic enough to be a rush linebacker. Clinton McDonald will make $4 million in 2018 and he had 5.0 sacks last season as a backup. Shelby Harris is a similar player, with 5.5 sacks last season. These are 3 rotational players already to go along with Wolfe and Gotsis.

Maybe if an inside rusher sticks out like a sore thumb when the team is on the clock, but I don't think we will target the position as a priority. I really think edge rusher is a bigger need at this point because we have no one behind Miller/Ray/Barrett and they only produced 15.0 sacks combined last season. We used to be 5-deep at rush linebacker with Miller, Ware, Ray, Barrett and McCray.
                          sigpic

Comment

Demarcus walker will bring that passs rush from the inside this year. He played 1 game at his correct spot and what do you know had a sack

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                              I am not sure Elway will draft another inside pass rusher, even though DeMarcus Walker looks like a bad pick right now - not big enough to play inside, not athletic enough to be a rush linebacker. Clinton McDonald will make $4 million in 2018 and he had 5.0 sacks last season as a backup. Shelby Harris is a similar player, with 5.5 sacks last season. These are 3 rotational players already to go along with Wolfe and Gotsis.

Maybe if an inside rusher sticks out like a sore thumb when the team is on the clock, but I don't think we will target the position as a priority. I really think edge rusher is a bigger need at this point because we have no one behind Miller/Ray/Barrett and they only produced 15.0 sacks combined last season. We used to be 5-deep at rush linebacker with Miller, Ware, Ray, Barrett and McCray.
                              With today's NFL scheming you could have Von Miller and Lawrence Taylor on the other side with limited impact because all the tackles have to do is force the rushers outside and than the QB just steps up in the pocket...this happened all year against us last year.
                              "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

Working...
                              X