Inside pass rush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    vita vea plays NT. thats not really an interior pass rusher in any 3-4 defense, he just may be able to do it but i think it is more we have peko who is old and no one behind him
    I think from the perspective that he can collapse the pocket and prevent QBs from simply stepping up and avoiding our edge rush to make throws like they did all last year.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
      I think from the perspective that he can collapse the pocket and prevent QBs from simply stepping up and avoiding our edge rush to make throws like they did all last year.
      There are two kinds of D-Linemen who can compromise the pocket from inside techniques. One is the bull rusher like you said who can collapse the pocket and command a double. The other is a quick rip, swim, spin guy who gets off the LOS instantly. They can complement each other. The bull rusher can draw attention and create space for the quick guy who has more than one move.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        There are two kinds of D-Linemen who can compromise the pocket from inside techniques. One is the bull rusher like you said who can collapse the pocket and command a double. The other is a quick rip, swim, spin guy who gets off the LOS instantly. They can complement each other. The bull rusher can draw attention and create space for the quick guy who has more than one move.
        With our current roster what combination of interior DT's fit best for our 3rd down/4 DL package? As you stated, one would ideally be more of a bull rush that collapses the pocket, and the other more finesses rip/swim moves.

We put Von and Shane up on the line, what two interior tackles would work best together?

Wolfe
        Mcdonald
        Walker
        Gotsis
        Harris
        Kerr
        K Peko
        D Peko

I'm thinking Wolfe/Harris as bull rush beside Walker/Mcdonald for finesse.
        "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
          With our current roster what combination of interior DT's fit best for our 3rd down/4 DL package? As you stated, one would ideally be more of a bull rush that collapses the pocket, and the other more finesses rip/swim moves.

We put Von and Shane up on the line, what two interior tackles would work best together?

Wolfe
          Mcdonald
          Walker
          Gotsis
          Harris
          Kerr
          K Peko
          D Peko

I'm thinking Wolfe/Harris as bull rush beside Walker/Mcdonald for finesse.
          I'm not that familiar with Clinton McDonald, so I'll wait and see on him.

In the split front nickel package, I think I'd put Derek Wolfe at 1 tech to see if he could get skinny to split a double. I'd pair him with Shelby Harris in a 2 so he could have his pick of A or B Gap.

Domata Peko at 1 and DeMarcus Walker at 2 could be another possibility, as well as Zach Kerr at 1 and Adam Gotsis at 2.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Our D line to me looks pretty solid... I wouldn't want to see a high pick in that area.

Comment

We have a lot of bodies on the dline, but no one you would pencil in for pass rush. Maybe Walker if he develops. Harris seems to be rotational/situational, and McDonald will be as well. Gotsis is more in the mold of Wolfe (not a bad thing, but more of a run stuffer), and Peko is a space and block eater. None of those scream out pass rush. If you are able to disrupt the pocket and penetrate on run downs, it has very positive effects on the effectiveness Von/ray/shaq, LB's, and secondary. It's been a problem for us since Malik left and a big reason sacks have gone down. I still see it as a need, not likely in our first 2 picks, but maybe our 3rd. I'd love Phillips, but he'll probably be gone.

Comment

Working...
              X