Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you draft if you had the first 15 First Round Picks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
    On 104.3 the fan with Dmac and Big Al, they talk about this “ defense win championships” and more times than none its the offense that wins. I forget the number for and against each other but offense wins more. Sort of an eye opener when I heard the numbers.
    This got me curious, I'm thinking back in recent years, the two most prolific offenses in NFL history were both shut down by defenses in the Super Bowl.

But lets think back and see what happened the last 10 years or so.
    2007: Giants beat New England-Giants pass rush shut down the most prolific offense in NFL history...to that point
    2008: Pittsburgh beat Arizona-Pittsburgh was number 1 D, Arizona was the 4th best offense
    2009: Saints beat Colts-Saints had the number 1 offense, both defenses were poor that year
    2010: Green Bay beat Pittsburgh-Green Bay had the number 9 offense, beat the number 2 defense. GB also had the number 5 defense that year
    2011: Giants beat the Patriots-Number 2 offense beat by the number 27 defense
    2012: Baltimore beat San Fran-Baltimore's number 16 offense beat the 3rd ranked defense
    2013: For some reason they didn't play a Super Bowl that year....but the defense probably stopped the number 1 offense of all-time
    2014: New England over Seattle-Number 11 offense beat the number 1 defense in the league
    2015: Denver over Carolina-Clearly and example of the defense winning a championship
    2016: New England over Atlanta-Was it the number 8 D beating the number 2 offense, or 4th best offense over the 25th best D?
    2017: Philly over New England-No D played in the Super Bowl, on the year though it was the number 4 defense beating the number 1 offense

So conclusions from my very unscientific look at history: Examples of an offensive based team clearly winning: 3 times (2009, 2010, 2014), examples of defensive teams clearly winning: 3 times (2008, 2013, 2015), examples that are so clear 5 times...although the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl using defense in those games.

I truly believe that in order to win the Super Bowl you need to be fairly balanced, or be very good in 2 of the 3 phases of the game. And while it's possible to win the Super Bowl by dominating on only one side of the ball, it's extremely hard to do, but having a great defense and a poor offense probably gives you a better chance than a poor defense with a great offense.

Comment

Originally posted by conannilsen View Post
      It is true?
      Guess to concede a little, Balance is the best option but hard to achieve
      Last year was a bit of an anomaly.

In the game there was no defense, but on the year both defenses were decent. Philly had the 4th best defense in yards, 4th best defense in points and were also 4th in the league in interceptions. And New England's defense was poor in total yards on the year, they were 5th best in points against.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
        This got me curious, I'm thinking back in recent years, the two most prolific offenses in NFL history were both shut down by defenses in the Super Bowl.

2007: Giants beat New England-Giants pass rush shut down the most prolific offense in NFL history...to that point
        2008: Pittsburgh beat Arizona-Pittsburgh was number 1 D, Arizona was the 4th best offense
        2009: Saints beat Colts-Saints had the number 1 offense, both defenses were poor that year
        2010: Green Bay beat Pittsburgh-Green Bay had the number 9 offense, beat the number 2 defense. GB also had the number 5 defense that year
        2012: Baltimore beat San Fran-Baltimore's number 16 offense beat the 3rd ranked defense
        2013: For some reason they didn't play a Super Bowl that year....but the defense probably stopped the number 1 offense of all-time
        2014: New England over Seattle-Number 11 offense beat the number 1 defense in the league
        2015: Denver over Carolina-Clearly and example of the defense winning a championship
        2016: New England over Atlanta-Was it the number 8 D beating the number 2 offense, or 4th best offense over the 25th best D?
        2017: Philly over New England-No D played in the Super Bowl, on the year though it was the number 4 defense beating the number 1 offense

So conclusions from my very unscientific look at history: Examples of an offensive based team clearly winning: 3 times (2009, 2010, 2014), examples of defensive teams clearly winning: 3 times (2008, 2013, 2015), examples that are so clear 5 times...although the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl using defense in those games.

I truly believe that in order to win the Super Bowl you need to be fairly balanced, or be very good in 2 of the 3 phases of the game. And while it's possible to win the Super Bowl by dominating on only one side of the ball, it's extremely hard to do, but having a great defense and a poor offense probably gives you a better chance than a poor defense with a great offense.
        So to be a little more clear. They weren’t saying the best offense in the league won. They are saying the offense was the reason their team won not their defense. So you use Saints beating Indy. But saints offense won them the SB not their Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
          So to be a little more clear. They weren’t saying the best offense in the league won. They are saying the offense was the reason their team won not their defense. So you use Saints beating Indy. But saints offense won them the SB not their Defense.
          Ironically they won that game because of a well timed onside kick and a pick six. As for the rest, I looked at good O's and good D's during the season. It still stands approximately even, with no real sense either way.

Comment

1. Saquon Barkley - Starting RB that has added value as a receiver, could finish the season 3rd in catches behind DT and Sanders. Can also return kicks in close games when we need field position.

2. Bradley Chubb - Most complete edge player in the draft, very solid against the run and the pass. Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett become rotational players, a formula that helped the Broncos win a Super Bowl with a fresh Von Miller in the playoffs.

3. Quenton Nelson - starting LG next to Bolles, keeping Leary at RG. Nelson and Leary may switch sides depending on performance during camp. Run the ball better, something that helped Keenum with the Vikings,

4. Josh Rosen - Take the QB with the safest floor in this draft. Prototypical, pure pocket passer with a high football IQ. He might become a Matt Ryan or even more.

5. Josh Allen - With so many picks, take the QB with the highest upside in this draft. Big, power thrower with mobility and a rare arm. His play at the Senior Bowl suggests he can do more with better talent around him and he's aced every test in the draft process.

6. Tremaine Edmunds - Only 19 years old, perfect project to be developed as the #3 LB. One of the most gifted players in this draft, can play inside or outside, cover TEs or rush the passer. Rare combination of size and speed.

7. Denzel Ward - Good in man-to-man coverage, which is our specialty on defense. He's basically 5'11, so height is not an issue for me. He becomes our slot corner from day one.

8. Roquan Smith - I don't see him as an ideal ILB in a 3-4 base, but several NFL teams are using MLBs with similar size (Deion Jones, Kwon Alexander). He can be a great nickel LB and has great intangibles to become a leader for the defense.

9. Vita Vea - Despite his size, he moves so well that he can be a DE or NT in a 3-4 or DT in the 4-3. He's pretty much being compared to Haloti Ngata. Stout against the run and also collapses the pocket to be a factor on passing downs. The weight scares me a little bit, he can't get bigger and should even shed a few pounds.

10. Derwin James - Darian Stewart is leaving soon and Su'a Cravens has quit before, so I'm taking James to secure a big-time athlete with range and closing speed to be our strong safety for many years. His size and physicality also allows him to serve as a nickel LB.

11. Mike McGlinchey - His ability to play left and right tackle would be solid gold for our offensive line. If Bolles does not improve, we try McGlinchey at left tackle. Veldheer will be a free agent next year and has struggled on the right side, so McGlinchey would be much-needed insurance at right tackle. His work ethic and love for football have been praised.

12. Courtland Sutton - Big, physical receiver with strong hands and incredible catches. I like him more than these speedy receivers that can't route routes and don't have natural hands to fight for the ball, like DJ Moore and DJ Chark. Put Sutton on the outside and give him the ball in the red zone. DT and Sanders are getting old and will be free agents after the 2019 season. Carlos Henderson can't play at all (and is incredibly stupid). We really need a boost at WR.

13. Hayden Hurst - This is the perfect TE to team up with Jake Butt. Hurst is more of a receiving TE with good speed, but he also does good work as a blocker and even played some FB/H-Back. He can play in the slot or in-line, a very good TE that can do everything you need from the position.

14. Harold Landry - Speed rusher with some freakish bending ability like Von Miller. He's being compared to Vic Beasley. With Landry on the roster, we would not have to re-sign Shaq Barrett and the defense would have a better edge rusher in the rotation to go after the QB. When healthy in 2016, Landry recorded 16.5 sacks and 22.0 tackles for loss, which is insane. Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, Harold Landry. Don't let the QB breathe.

15. Frank Ragnow - Matt Paradis is a nice center, but let's get a 6'5", dominant center that can really push big defenders back. It looks like Ragnow will be drafted much earlier than people think... Watch his game against Alabama if you want to know why.

The only sad part of this incredible draft haul: we just sent all these great players to be coached by Vance Joseph.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

That is only scientific reason I need to believe. Truth be told Defenses do win championships as we all saw the debacle in 2013 and the systematic beat down Denver placed on Carolina in 2015. I agree 100% that it can be easier with a Stout Defense and Mediocre Offense than it is with a Star Wars Offense and No Defense.

Comment

Working...
              X