Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Elway wins the World Series of NFL Poker

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • John Elway wins the World Series of NFL Poker

    Wow! What a draft day 1 Broncos Country.

    This thread is not about who was drafted specifically, but rather the extraordinary poker style mind game that Elway just successfully pulled off last night involving 5 other GMs.

    We will begin this revelation with the notion that Bradley Chubb was the most valuable football player in this year's NFL draft. 3 players were considered "generational talent"; 1 was a RB (low value position) 1 was an OG (moderate value position) and 1 DE edge rusher (high value position). Thusly in our game of poker metaphor Chubb was the prize.

    How to get the MVP in the draft to fall to 5?

    Play the game!

    Step 1: Get the Colts out of the equation

    - The Colts were the team most likely to take Chubb @3, in order to get Chubb past 3, DEN needed to convince another team that they had to get above the DEN pick in order to get either Mayfield or Darnold. After weeks of DEN hype towards these top 2 QBs the JETS take the bait and trade up with IND to 3.

    Step 1 = Complete

    Step 2: NYG must draft Barkely @2

    -The NYG might have thought they could trade back with a team and still get the RB they wanted, but DEN making it very public that they would draft Barkley @5 if he were there, forced NYG to stay @2 and draft the low value position (RB) "generational player".

    Step 2 = Complete

    Step 3: Convince CLE to draft Ward @4

    -CLE wanted Ward the whole time, because of the dire need at CB, however many mocks had Ward going in the bottom of the top 10 or early teens. CLE might have thought they could trade back out of 4 to 7-12 and still get Ward, since many teams would want Chubb. The morning of the draft Elway leaks "Broncos In Love with Denzel Ward" news.... CLE now thinks they cannot trade back and still get Ward, forcing them to stay put and draft the 10th best prospect @4.

    Step 3 = Complete

    Summary:
    48 hours before draft Elway leaks "Broncos will take Mayfield, Darnold or Barkley if any of the 3 are available at 5". 24 hours before the draft Elway leaks "Broncos in Love with Denzel Ward". The top 4 picks in the NFL draft (with NO trades mind you) were Mayfield, Barkely, Darnold, and Ward! All 4 picks above DEN were impacted by the anxiety created by DEN bluffs.

    Chubb was never spoken to by DEN at the Combine, or Workouts, or Pro days... he was never linked to DEN in any way publicly.

    This allowed the MPV of the NFL draft to be available @5 without giving up anything.... except smoke screens and a great poker face!

    Elway, the Duke of Denver just won the World Series of NFL Poker!

    -GB2

  • #2
    maybe a conspiracy theory, maybe truth, but it's a pretty good story to tell. I'm so happy Elway didn't do something stupid like draft an o-lineman.

    Comment


    • #3
      "Chubb's availability at No. 5 was a pleasant surprise for the Broncos, as President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway simulated "zero" mock drafts among the football-operations staff that had Chubb falling to the No. 5 pick."

      Looks like they just got lucky
      Last edited by Bögi; 04-27-2018, 12:41 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bögi View Post
        "Chubb's availability at No. 5 was a pleasant surprise for the Broncos, as President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway simulated "zero" mock drafts among the football-operations staff that had Chubb falling to the No. 5 pick."

        Looks like they just got lucky
        If you were able to manipulate the behavior of your competitors, would you tell them?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 16TheSnake View Post
          Wow! What a draft day 1 Broncos Country.

          This thread is not about who was drafted specifically, but rather the extraordinary poker style mind game that Elway just successfully pulled off last night involving 5 other GMs.

          We will begin this revelation with the notion that Bradley Chubb was the most valuable football player in this year's NFL draft. 3 players were considered "generational talent"; 1 was a RB (low value position) 1 was an OG (moderate value position) and 1 DE edge rusher (high value position). Thusly in our game of poker metaphor Chubb was the prize.

          How to get the MVP in the draft to fall to 5?

          Play the game!

          Step 1: Get the Colts out of the equation

          - The Colts were the team most likely to take Chubb @3, in order to get Chubb past 3, DEN needed to convince another team that they had to get above the DEN pick in order to get either Mayfield or Darnold. After weeks of DEN hype towards these top 2 QBs the JETS take the bait and trade up with IND to 3.

          Step 1 = Complete

          Step 2: NYG must draft Barkely @2

          -The NYG might have thought they could trade back with a team and still get the RB they wanted, but DEN making it very public that they would draft Barkley @5 if he were there, forced NYG to stay @2 and draft the low value position (RB) "generational player".

          Step 2 = Complete

          Step 3: Convince CLE to draft Ward @4

          -CLE wanted Ward the whole time, because of the dire need at CB, however many mocks had Ward going in the bottom of the top 10 or early teens. CLE might have thought they could trade back out of 4 to 7-12 and still get Ward, since many teams would want Chubb. The morning of the draft Elway leaks "Broncos In Love with Denzel Ward" news.... CLE now thinks they cannot trade back and still get Ward, forcing them to stay put and draft the 10th best prospect @4.

          Step 3 = Complete

          Summary:
          48 hours before draft Elway leaks "Broncos will take Mayfield, Darnold or Barkley if any of the 3 are available at 5". 24 hours before the draft Elway leaks "Broncos in Love with Denzel Ward". The top 4 picks in the NFL draft (with NO trades mind you) were Mayfield, Barkely, Darnold, and Ward! All 4 picks above DEN were impacted by the anxiety created by DEN bluffs.

          Chubb was never spoken to by DEN at the Combine, or Workouts, or Pro days... he was never linked to DEN in any way publicly.

          This allowed the MPV of the NFL draft to be available @5 without giving up anything.... except smoke screens and a great poker face!

          Elway, the Duke of Denver just won the World Series of NFL Poker!

          -GB2
          Ok, this is laughable and you give him too much credit. There was no masterplan behind and the other 4 teams are not stupid. We got lucky.

          The question now is, is Chubb really a generational talent? Clowney was supposed to be a monster talent. And he hasn't panned out as such. Not saying he isn't good. But let's wait before we annoit Chubb as the next messiah

          Comment


          • #6
            Specifically the CLE management team mentioned up until the morning of the draft they were selecting Chubb.

            Then the morning of the draft came and they switched to Ward.

            What changed.... Elway's leaked "love" for Ward.

            Coincidence? maybe... maybe not.

            -GB2

            Comment


            • #7
              No one is appointing anyone anything.

              Most Valuable Player in the draft is based on the perception of value. Actual results may very.

              -GB2

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 16TheSnake View Post
                Specifically the CLE management team mentioned up until the morning of the draft they were selecting Chubb.

                Then the morning of the draft came and they switched to Ward.

                What changed.... Elway's leaked "love" for Ward.

                Coincidence? maybe... maybe not.

                -GB2
                If the Browns had zeroed in on Bradley Chubb, why would they care if the Broncos took Ward at #5?

                And the Browns front office never said they were taking Chubb. People not even knew who was going to be the #1 pick.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 16TheSnake View Post
                  Specifically the CLE management team mentioned up until the morning of the draft they were selecting Chubb.

                  Then the morning of the draft came and they switched to Ward.

                  What changed.... Elway's leaked "love" for Ward.

                  Coincidence? maybe... maybe not.

                  -GB2
                  This is a good OP man, he may not have swayed anything at all, or he may have done everything just as you said, But who cares it's definitely fun to think he did, and tbh i would bet the fear of losing their guy they may have been trying to trade back to get that was a teen range draft pick probably did work in Cleveland's mind since it was not at all inconceivable that we would try to replace Aqib Talib with a great young corner prospect. Since they NEED a lot of help in their defensive backfield.
                  GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Smoke and mirrors, whatever it takes. Was it Luck that made Chubb available at pick # 5 ? No matter, Our D has improved and once again became scary to other coaches to plan against. Now a couple more moves so we have more to discuss. Go Broncos.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 16TheSnake View Post
                      Wow! What a draft day 1 Broncos Country.

                      This thread is not about who was drafted specifically, but rather the extraordinary poker style mind game that Elway just successfully pulled off last night involving 5 other GMs.

                      We will begin this revelation with the notion that Bradley Chubb was the most valuable football player in this year's NFL draft. 3 players were considered "generational talent"; 1 was a RB (low value position) 1 was an OG (moderate value position) and 1 DE edge rusher (high value position). Thusly in our game of poker metaphor Chubb was the prize.

                      How to get the MVP in the draft to fall to 5?

                      Play the game!

                      Step 1: Get the Colts out of the equation

                      - The Colts were the team most likely to take Chubb @3, in order to get Chubb past 3, DEN needed to convince another team that they had to get above the DEN pick in order to get either Mayfield or Darnold. After weeks of DEN hype towards these top 2 QBs the JETS take the bait and trade up with IND to 3.

                      Step 1 = Complete

                      Step 2: NYG must draft Barkely @2

                      -The NYG might have thought they could trade back with a team and still get the RB they wanted, but DEN making it very public that they would draft Barkley @5 if he were there, forced NYG to stay @2 and draft the low value position (RB) "generational player".

                      Step 2 = Complete

                      Step 3: Convince CLE to draft Ward @4

                      -CLE wanted Ward the whole time, because of the dire need at CB, however many mocks had Ward going in the bottom of the top 10 or early teens. CLE might have thought they could trade back out of 4 to 7-12 and still get Ward, since many teams would want Chubb. The morning of the draft Elway leaks "Broncos In Love with Denzel Ward" news.... CLE now thinks they cannot trade back and still get Ward, forcing them to stay put and draft the 10th best prospect @4.

                      Step 3 = Complete

                      Summary:
                      48 hours before draft Elway leaks "Broncos will take Mayfield, Darnold or Barkley if any of the 3 are available at 5". 24 hours before the draft Elway leaks "Broncos in Love with Denzel Ward". The top 4 picks in the NFL draft (with NO trades mind you) were Mayfield, Barkely, Darnold, and Ward! All 4 picks above DEN were impacted by the anxiety created by DEN bluffs.

                      Chubb was never spoken to by DEN at the Combine, or Workouts, or Pro days... he was never linked to DEN in any way publicly.

                      This allowed the MPV of the NFL draft to be available @5 without giving up anything.... except smoke screens and a great poker face!

                      Elway, the Duke of Denver just won the World Series of NFL Poker!

                      -GB2
                      Yes, it happened exactly like this. Congratulations Broncos!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                        If the Browns had zeroed in on Bradley Chubb, why would they care if the Broncos took Ward at #5?

                        And the Browns front office never said they were taking Chubb. People not even knew who was going to be the #1 pick.


                        Given the theory set, Elway knew Cleveland was out of the Bradley Chubb "Jackpot," and the first selection would be a QB because:

                        1. Last year Cleveland drafted Myles Garrett at #1, a more athletic version of Bradley Chubb. (CLE drafted #1 last year too, let. that. sink. in.)

                        2. Tyrod Taylor and Drew Stanton were brought in to replace Kiser, Kessler, and Hogan. Yikes.

                        3. Cleveland was not going to allow another team to dictate who their future signal caller was going to be. (#03 Jets QB Darnold)

                        4. CB Denzel Ward at #4 makes more sense than at #1. CLE's DB is swiss cheese.

                        Therefore using the OP's theory and my post, I can understand how some may view John Elway, a Stanford graduate, slash, successful businessman, slash, successful GM, capable of pulling off such a draft-hat-trick like this.

                        P.S. I forgot to mention, I think John Elway played football too. slash, American Football Hero (Punter, I think.)

                        But I may be wrong. lol

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                          If the Browns had zeroed in on Bradley Chubb, why would they care if the Broncos took Ward at #5?

                          And the Browns front office never said they were taking Chubb. People not even knew who was going to be the #1 pick.
                          He's saying that the Browns would've traded back with somebody in the teens who wanted Chubb, thinking they could still get Ward and some extra picks. But, when the news leaked that the Broncos were interested in Ward, they decided to stay at 4 to make sure they got their guy.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I had read that the Broncos were indeed looking to trade back with Buffalo and then before pulling the trigger Chubb fell to 5 in disbelief. Denver had no scenario on their board where Chubb fell to 5.

                            Elway needs to send Cleveland a Thank You card.

                            All that nonsense about a scheme is just nonsense. Sometimes things just happen.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Love me some John Elway- and I suspect he has a great poker face and is an excellent negotiator, etc. That said- think in this case it was nothing more than holding his ground in case CLE “went rogue” with their picks and something great fell in his lap- or being prepared to move down. More like Draft 101- but well-executed all the same.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X