No announcement yet.

Great Draft from where I was sitting!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more I dwell on this draft, the more I like it. And it may not be technically correct but I am including Butt, C. Henderson and Kelly as part of the draft additions because they did not play last year. May even be able to include UDFAs Holland, Lindsay and Lotulelei as longshots to add to the team.

Perhaps overly optimistic but I am excited about some of the turnover of the roster. Maybe most importantly the QB instability. Still quite a few unknowns but many of the position groups look completely different. For better or worse we shall see.

Going to be interesting to see how Joseph and the coaches work with this new energy, chemistry and expectations.

Comment

Time to settle back into the ole chair and regroup. Need time to make a proper assessment, and though this is too early still, there is some clarity after a couple of days..

Overall, I like the draft we had. But lets not forget, to get a top level player you need a top level pick, and we don't want to be sitting at 5 (or anywhere near it) going forward. But I must admit, it sure is fun to stoke the fire every so often, with the best of the best!

So yes, love Chubb. He will make our D a real force once again. Interesting that the two best draft spots we've had for a long time were filled with pass rushers. Easily one of the highest ranked positions since the QB driven league title took hold. And even more interesting to me, those 2 picks will drive opponents nuts while Von is still playing good ball.

So...lets get past Bradley Chubb.....A+ selection!

The rest of the draft was good. A little surprising in that we apparently are ok Oline wise. Expected an earlier pick in that regard.

Otherwise we filled some much needed positions - WR, RB, ILB, CB. I was wondering why we were not talking WR for much of the offseason and than low and behold, we got 2, and both have a real shot at getting into the lineup early. And choosing Freeman was important, given we need more O weapons. Hope he becomes one of those players we appreciate for many years!

So basically, outside of the lack of real Oline focus (other than in FA), I really liked the positional blend, and yes, serious help on both sides of the ball....and no doubt, special teams.

It's hard to give a score, but I like to do it anyway...just based on what we know today. I will not let Chubb overly influence the rating, given he was a steal that we got due to poor ,performance last year. But he is one of the selections, and therefore overall I give us a B+. I liked that we got needs and some BPA involved. Chubb may be both, definitely BPA at the time of selection. I am not clear on Oline just yet, so that keeps me wondering.

And as I say every year....if we can land 3 starters, I feel we did very well. I think it's safe to say we are comfortably within that parameter this year.
      Last edited by CanDB; 04-30-2018, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sendacash View Post
        My prediction is that Royce Freeman will be the real deal, the type of back we have been lacking for a long time.
        I agree. He reminds me of Curtis Martin when he was drafted. He was an unknown quantity and the rest is history.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
          Overall I thought it was a great draft-- far different than past years. The only early(ish) pick that worries me is Jewell.
          Yeah, that was a surprise to me as well. I didn't see the draft. Was Vander Esch off the board by that pick?

Comment

Originally posted by darryn16 View Post
            Yeah, that was a surprise to me as well. I didn't see the draft. Was Vander Esch off the board by that pick?
            Vander Esch went in the first round.

Jewell is intriguing. Almost the exact opposite of Corey Nelson as a player. Whom I am assuming he is replacing on the roster at this point. Nelson was athletic where Jewell in instinctive at making plays despite his "lack" of athleticism. Basically a backup and ST player. Only time will tell if he can be more.

Comment

Here's the overall expectation for Jewell per Chad Reuter of NFL N:

NFL Backup or Special Teams Potential

Not saying it is the absolute end result for the guy, but it is one expert's take. But hey, special teams and backup are relevant.

Comment

Hey CanDB,

Did you get a chance to watch his film yet? If you do it'll render this "expert's" opinion to an ill-informed one.

Jewell plays with instinct, a stat which cannot be measured as well as 40 times or bench presses. If a player makes the right decision in half the time, it can more then make up for +0.2 seconds on a 40 yard dash, add in his exceptional tackling technique and I think both our ILB should be worried. Between Jewell (Davis) and Holland (Marshall) the starters will have their work cut out for them to remain such

-GB2

Comment

Originally posted by 16TheSnake View Post
                  Hey CanDB,

Did you get a chance to watch his film yet? If you do it'll render this "expert's" opinion to an ill-informed one.

Jewell plays with instinct, a stat which cannot be measured as well as 40 times or bench presses. If a player makes the right decision in half the time, it can more then make up for +0.2 seconds on a 40 yard dash, add in his exceptional tackling technique and I think both our ILB should be worried. Between Jewell (Davis) and Holland (Marshall) the starters will have their work cut out for them to remain such

-GB2
                  holland played more of a pass rusher in college.no one is taking marshall spot.
                  sigpic
                  oakland raders gm
                  latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Working...
                  X