NFL Networks' Chad Reuter Gives Denver The Best Ranking In AFC W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Since we're on the topic of grading, PFF didn't like our first round choice of Chubb, and instead said the better move would have been to get Harold Landry since they believe he's the better player. This is where I believe PFF gets way too caught up in their stats instead of what's happening on the field beyond the numbers.

To be fair, don't they believe he is strictly the better pass rusher, not the better player? I think their argument was that they believe the combination of Landry with whoever at the 12th pick would have been better overall.

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
      To be fair, don't they believe he is strictly the better pass rusher, not the better player? I think their argument was that they believe the combination of Landry with whoever at the 12th pick would have been better overall.
      I believe their argument was that Chubb wasn't as good a pass rusher as Landry. However our defense needs guys that are good against the run as well, and Landry isn't as well rounded in that area. Chubb is a player that fits our needs better than Landry would. I get their argument for a trade down scenario, but Chubb isn't someone you pass on imo.
      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Pro Football Focus gave the Browns the highest draft grade in 2016 for passing on Carson Wentz, acquiring a bunch of picks and taking WR Corey Coleman.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...ffseason-grade

Strong draft lifts Browns' overall offseason grade

BY JOHN KOSKO • MAY 19, 2016

We gave the Browns the highest grade of any NFL team post-draft because of a combination of who they selected and the trades they made. The draft is where this front office is mortgaging their future, and where Paul DePodesta’s impact has first been felt. DePodesta, along with the newly-promoted Executive Vice President of Football Operations, Sashi Brown, had a plan to acquire picks for the future as well as add to this draft class was put to full force. The Browns had 10 picks before any trades, and ended up with 15 players (14 draft picks and Jamar Taylor via trade) from this draft, with four future picks including an extra first, second, and seventh in 2017, and an extra second in 2018.

Corey Coleman was our highest-ranked WR and No. 9 overall prospect. His athleticism and production are evident on tape, and he had a best-in-class 4.88 yards per route run last season before his quarterbacks started going down to injury. Ogbah and Nassib were two of the most productive pass-rushers in college. Cody Kessler was the most accurate QB under 20 yards, and was top-four in accuracy under pressure in both 2014 and 2015.

Where Cleveland really won this draft was on day three: Higgins (the No. 40 overall prospect on PFF’s draft board), Wright (No. 71), Schobert (No. 74), Drango (No. 107), and Payton (No. 118) all were steals relative to where they were drafted. Higgins graded as our No. 2 WR in 2014—ahead of 2014 No. 4 overall pick Amari Cooper.
        Corey Coleman: 413 receiving yards in 2016, 305 receiving yards in 2017, buried on the depth chart, placed on the trading block.

Cody Kessler: their 2016 version of Baker Mayfield, traded this offseason for a conditional 2019 7th-round draft pick.

They ranked WR Rashard Higgins ahead of Amari Cooper in the 2014 NCAA season. I wonder how many fans even know who Higgins is. He has 389 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns for the Browns in 2 seasons.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
          Since we're on the topic of grading, PFF didn't like our first round choice of Chubb, and instead said the better move would have been to get Harold Landry since they believe he's the better player. This is where I believe PFF gets way too caught up in their stats instead of what's happening on the field beyond the numbers.

This video is odd because it is the only video I have seen criticizing Chubb. I may not agree with what they say here but I do understand why they are saying it.

I think one needs to realize what PFF is doing. PFF evaluates every play and tries to turn that into a rating system that is not just universal based on a players job ( pass rushing for example ) but the rating system is supposed to be something that can be compared across jobs ( Pass rush vs run stopping ), between Positions ( DT compared to Safety) and between sides of the ball ( OT vs CB vs Kicker ).

Then people who may not have done the rating use those ratings to make the videos we see here or in pod casts.

I know people use examples half a season ago or two years ago as reason why PFF is flawed but considering they rate every single play people should take a moment to consider how deep they are going to find mistakes.

No one has mastered the art of evaluating players. It is why there are so many college busts and even free agent busts. Bottom line is it is all just opinion on EVERY level.

Between position bias, team bias or ratings bias I can find problems with just about every rating "system" out there.
          Last edited by Hadez; 05-27-2018, 08:33 AM.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
          X