Orlando Franklin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando Franklin

He was cut.. if he would sign a very team friendly deal that’s incentive based what do you guys think?

Originally posted by NVthosebroncos View Post
    He was cut.. if he would sign a very team friendly deal that’s incentive based what do you guys think?
    No, I don't think the risk to reward is enough in the team's favor to make that gamble.

He was released in 2017 during the off-season by the Chargers before OTAs.

At that time we had the former Chargers head coach as our OC and we didn't even bring Franklin in for a workout. He was later picked up by the Saints who released him only five days later.

He finally landed with the Redskins last season, signing in October after the team had a string of injuries to the offensive line and were desperate. He played in exactly 1 game in 2017.

We already have Watson who doesn't pay much. No need for another body taking up a valuable roster spot.

Comment

Orlando Franklin has had some injuries and can't stay healthy. I think his football days are over.

From 2011 through 2013, he was one of the most devastating down blocking Right Tackles I can recall seeing. With Ryan Clady on IR in 2013, pass protection had to slide to the left to cover Chris Clark's deficiencies. It made Orlando look bad at the other end and he was blamed for poor pass protection especially in the Super Bowl. Maybe they should have run the ball more.

When he was moved to Left Guard in 2014, I was skeptical of whether he could pull to the opposite TE hole and get there before the RB. I didn't know if a guy that tall could pull and stay low enough to break down and make a block. He surprised me with his agility and pancaked some Backers and DBs..

Good luck in the future, Orlando. You were a very good football player.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

He's just not the same player anymore. I wish him the best, and hope he still gets a shot somewhere, but I don't think that should be here.

Comment

I mean. Idk his history looks real bad so he's probably done.

But I can't really see any depth OL of ours that's better....at least he can hopefully possibly be a mauler for early downs and help wear teams down.

I know oline doesn't traditionally rotate much but....if you can, why not

Comment

IMO he was a better Guard then Tackle.

Maybe if he moved back there and stayed healthy?
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

We already have our roster max of 90. Only way he gets a shot here is if Elway and company think they can get 2014 guard production out of him. None of the teams he has played for since have been able to.
              All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Comment

Originally posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
                We already have our roster max of 90. Only way he gets a shot here is if Elway and company think they can get 2014 guard production out of him. None of the teams he has played for since have been able to.
                The 90 man roster is quite fluid at this time of year, the Broncos released players this week. If they wanted to add someone wouldn't be an issue, just release one of the 13 receivers or the second long snapper etc. But having said that, I agree with you about Franklin, and I just don't see Elway thinking he can get that production from him still. Maybe the year off healed all of his nagging injuries? But I'm just not sure he'd be a big upgrade at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  The 90 man roster is quite fluid at this time of year, the Broncos released players this week. If they wanted to add someone wouldn't be an issue, just release one of the 13 receivers or the second long snapper etc. But having said that, I agree with you about Franklin, and I just don't see Elway thinking he can get that production from him still. Maybe the year off healed all of his nagging injuries? But I'm just not sure he'd be a big upgrade at this point.
                  Well do long as he can still play halfway decent he could well be a great guy to help push some of our younger players. The only issue I'd have is that we could lose one of our younger guys who could end up helping us next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                    Well do long as he can still play halfway decent he could well be a great guy to help push some of our younger players. The only issue I'd have is that we could lose one of our younger guys who could end up helping us next year.
                    I think it’s more of an issue of how much does Franklin want to play and how much effort is anybody going to get from him.

Comment

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...fter-7-seasons

Ex-Broncos OL Orlando Franklin retires after 7 seasons

The former Broncos and Chargers offensive lineman announced Saturday that he is retiring after seven seasons in the NFL.

After one campaign in Washington, Franklin was released by the Redskins this week. The 30-year-old cited family and health as reasons for his early retirement.

A second-round pick in 2011, Franklin was an instrumental tackle for one of the game's greatest offenses -- the Peyton Manning-led Broncos from 2012 through 2014. Franklin began as a right tackle, but switched to left guard in 2014. He started 70 of the 71 games he played in Denver, including seven postseason appearances. Franklin started Denver's Super Bowl XLVIII loss to the Seahawks.

Franklin signed a lucrative five-year deal with the Chargers in 2015, but was released after just two seasons. He played in one game for the Redskins last year.
                      Last edited by Mel B.; 05-05-2018, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Good luck in retirement, was a good lineman, got paid after 4 years with the Broncos by S.D. Heck he made more in Signing bonus than most of us in a lifetime. But Retired he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                          I think it’s more of an issue of how much does Franklin want to play and how much effort is anybody going to get from him.
                          Are you plugged in? Your calls have been extraordinary this off-season...just saying.
                          New England Patriots GM

Comment

Working...
                          X