Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cushing or Bowman as veteran LB presence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cushing or Bowman as veteran LB presence?

I realize Von Miller is a leader of the defense, not just the linebackers, but our linebacker unit still lacks something. Anyone think there's a chance the front office/coaching staff gives Bowman or Cushing a look? I was hoping we would look at Johnson, but the Raiders have put an end to that wish. I know we drafted Jewell, just curious if anyone views Cushing or Bowman as upgrades to what we already have.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Originally posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    I realize Von Miller is a leader of the defense, not just the linebackers, but our linebacker unit still lacks something. Anyone think there's a chance the front office/coaching staff gives Bowman or Cushing a look? I was hoping we would look at Johnson, but the Raiders have put an end to that wish. I know we drafted Jewell, just curious if anyone views Cushing or Bowman as upgrades to what we already have.
    I would love to add Bowman. Would bring some great vet leadership that we lost with Talib......without the nonsense.

Comment

No, I think what they're missing, or what they were before the draft, is youth and little speed. Jewel doesn't necessarily bring the speed, but he brings the youth. I'm not sure either of those guys are playing special teams for the Broncos either, and that's also where they need youth and speed.

There's also the fact that Cushing is 31 and has missed 14 games over the last two years, and has only made it to 16 games once since 2011.

Bowman is younger, and has a better track record with injuries (minus 2016 and 2014) but one needs to ask why the Raiders never re-signed him? This would be his 3rd team in a year, there seems to be something possibly wrong there.

For those reasons and the fact they re-signed Todd Davis, I'd probably pass on both.

Comment

Bowman did play pretty well last year.

Comment

I am not interested in Cushing. But Bowman is worth looking at. His previous contract was only $2.6 million. I think a $1 million plus incentives contract would be worth training camp evaluation.

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
            I am not interested in Cushing. But Bowman is worth looking at. His previous contract was only $2.6 million. I think a $1 million plus incentives contract would be worth training camp evaluation.
            I'm not so sure he would sign for that, however I would love to add him to our team. The Raiders supposedly had an offer on the table (likely a 1 yr...many of Grudens have been). I haven't seen what the supposed offer was, but I would guess it was the years that Bowman wanted.

He is a really good player still, I really hope we show some interest.

Comment

Don't be like me and lose sleep over ILB. It does not get addressed.
              2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

I'd bring in Bowman in a heartbeat. I don't think anything's physically wrong with Bowman, I just think he wasn't re-signed by the Raiders cause Gruden really didn't want him.

To me Cushing has always been more hype then anything else...with a history of injury and PED suspensions. I'll pass on him.

Comment

Bowman’s leadership would be huge on the field and in the locker room, especially for the two young ilb’s Bierria, & Jewell. I think the problem will be playing time, and $. We already paid Davis, and Marshall starter money. He might end up like Charles and not even play, and i doubt he wants to play special teams.
                  I’m for it though.
                  sigpic

Comment

mope niether of them will be starter here and ask for starting money. wouldn't be worth it and marshall or davis are both vets at this point.

what we need at ILB is a coverage guy who can match up well vs nfl TE and RBs.
                    sigpic
                    oakland raders gm
                    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                      No, I think what they're missing, or what they were before the draft, is youth and little speed. Jewel doesn't necessarily bring the speed, but he brings the youth. I'm not sure either of those guys are playing special teams for the Broncos either, and that's also where they need youth and speed.

There's also the fact that Cushing is 31 and has missed 14 games over the last two years, and has only made it to 16 games once since 2011.

Bowman is younger, and has a better track record with injuries (minus 2016 and 2014) but one needs to ask why the Raiders never re-signed him? This would be his 3rd team in a year, there seems to be something possibly wrong there.

For those reasons and the fact they re-signed Todd Davis, I'd probably pass on both.
                      I think they've set up this team to not need anymore ILB players either. Todd Davis is graded as a good run stopper when paired with Marshall. Marshall doesn't cover RBs or TEs well, so we traded for Cravens on those downs. Josey Jewell was drafted to probably take either the place of Todd Davis or Marshall to be a 2-down LB and develop for a year or two while Davis is on contract. If we add any more LBs I get the sense the chemistry and rotation is thrown off.
                      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                        mope niether of them will be starter here and ask for starting money. wouldn't be worth it and marshall or davis are both vets at this point.

what we need at ILB is a coverage guy who can match up well vs nfl TE and RBs.
                        That's pretty much why we traded for Cravens, to take over on those plays. From everything I've seen and read, the ideal situation would be to have a 3-down back, but if you don't have one of those, get a safety who can play as a dime linebacker well. I believe they were trying this with Will Parks, but it hasn't taken quite yet with him, hence the trade for Cravens.
                        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Working...
                        X