Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Rankings

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page...ers-2018-draft

I wonder why ESPN has us at 21st. Their summation seems to contradict that ranking:

"Defensive end Bradley Chubb fell into the Broncos' lap at fifth overall, and if he pans out, the tandem of Chubb and Von Miller could be devastating to opposing quarterbacks. The Broncos ranked 22nd in sacks last season, but they pressured quarterbacks at the third-highest rate."

I didn't like every one of our picks...but I thought we did pretty well overall.

Originally posted by Hph5 View Post

I wonder why ESPN has us at 21st. Their summation seems to contradict that ranking:

"Defensive end Bradley Chubb fell into the Broncos' lap at fifth overall, and if he pans out, the tandem of Chubb and Von Miller could be devastating to opposing quarterbacks. The Broncos ranked 22nd in sacks last season, but they pressured quarterbacks at the third-highest rate."

I didn't like every one of our picks...but I thought we did pretty well overall.
    I think the May 8, 2018 date the article was submitted has a lot to do with it. This far out from the season there is a lot of subjectivity sprinkled in with an objective analysis hence more opportunity for internal contradiction to any ranking of any team.

Basically the synopsis says the Broncos are in a prove it year and will remain last year's team until we do - and that is correct regardless of what magical number we are associated with in early May, June, July, or August.

Nothing to lose sleep over.
    Last edited by Rastic; 06-25-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

National Sports News has always disrespected the Broncos.

Comment

because we had the 5th pick in the draft and have a new QB. Nothing will change until people see how every team does once the season starts.
        sigpic

Comment

Considering we were the 28th team last season with a 5-11 record and a top-5 pick, ESPN was kind enough to elevate us to 21st before the season even started, probably a product of Case Keenum and the draft.

EDIT: In general, the Broncos still don't have much credibility because, besides Hue Jackson, no head coach might be on a hotter seat than Vance Joseph. It was even reported this was one of the reasons why Cousins did not want to go to Denver.
          Last edited by -Rod-; 06-25-2018, 05:18 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

"Excitabat enim fluctus in simpulo." ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
              The day after our SB 50 win over the Panthers, ESPN Power Ranked us at #5.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
                The day after our SB 50 win over the Panthers, ESPN Power Ranked us at #5.
                Can't have small markets dominating!

Comment

The Eagles had a similarly lackluster season in 2016 compared to their stellar '17 one. It took their rookie QB to become familiar in the system he was in, along with everyone on the team stepping up when they needed to. There's no reason to believe that the 5-11 Broncos can't become 13-3 or better given the right circumstances. Every year changes a lot.

I've been pretty hard on VJ, but lately he's begun to give off the impression that he is starting to understand the ropes of being a HC. Last year he was very soft on the players, and this year we see that that has changed. Things are starting to turn around in my opinion - who cares what ESPN has us ranked at before a single preseason or NFL snap?
                  Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Can't have small markets dominating!
                    I didn't think Denver/Colorado was a small market though. I remember the week before SB50 you could see the country by state was overwhelmingly rooting for us over the Panthers.
                    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                      I didn't think Denver/Colorado was a small market though. I remember the week before SB50 you could see the country by state was overwhelmingly rooting for us over the Panthers.
                      Colorado supports teams in NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS and NLL. It's impressive support for major professional sports and it started with the Broncos in 1960, although they played in Bears Stadium which was the baseball field of the minor league baseball team that had been in Denver for a long time. Bears Stadium was built in 1948 and eventually morphed into Mile High Stadium which in turn morphed back into a baseball venue when the Rockies began play in 1993.

Las Vegas favored Carolina, but I think most of the country wanted to see Peyton go out as a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                        Colorado supports teams in NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS and NLL. It's impressive support for major professional sports and it started with the Broncos in 1960, although they played in Bears Stadium which was the baseball field of the minor league baseball team that had been in Denver for a long time. Bears Stadium was built in 1948 and eventually morphed into Mile High Stadium which in turn morphed back into a baseball venue when the Rockies began play in 1993.

Las Vegas favored Carolina, but I think most of the country wanted to see Peyton go out as a winner.
                        I keep forgetting they have so much sport support. I haven't kept up with the Nuggest or Rockies or Avalanche, since I'm not a Denver local. That's awesome to hear how it all started. Going to have to file that in my Broncos history notes.

Well they obviously rooted for the right guy that day :thumb:
                        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                          The Eagles had a similarly lackluster season in 2016 compared to their stellar '17 one. It took their rookie QB to become familiar in the system he was in, along with everyone on the team stepping up when they needed to. There's no reason to believe that the 5-11 Broncos can't become 13-3 or better given the right circumstances. Every year changes a lot.

I've been pretty hard on VJ, but lately he's begun to give off the impression that he is starting to understand the ropes of being a HC. Last year he was very soft on the players, and this year we see that that has changed. Things are starting to turn around in my opinion - who cares what ESPN has us ranked at before a single preseason or NFL snap?
                          i feel he should watch the tunas football life episode. where the tuna talk the first season he wanted everyone to like him, by the end of the first season coaching he realised what a HC needed was not every one liking him, but every one doing hard work and doing there job. then making sure they did there job weather they liked him or not.
                          sigpic
                          oakland raders gm
                          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Agree'd has been like this forever. This is still not considered a Major Market, but the Broncos keep showing them that this is a Great team and one not to bet against.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                              i feel he should watch the tunas football life episode. where the tuna talk the first season he wanted everyone to like him, by the end of the first season coaching he realised what a HC needed was not every one liking him, but every one doing hard work and doing there job. then making sure they did there job weather they liked him or not.
                              Do you mean Bill Parcells? His book is a great read as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X