Entertaining Trade Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entertaining Trade Idea

So I was listening to 104.3. The fan and Cecil talked about how the secondary needs help badly. With the way Mahomes has looked it doesn’t look good for our secondary. So he threw the idea looking for a team that might be willing to trade a cb. The one name mentioned was Patrick Peterson. While I don’t think it will happen, I was curious as to what you think it would cost to get him at this point in his career ?

He just turned 28 and is under contract until 2020. With an avg salary of around $12 mill per year.

As much as I like Roby, I don’t think he is good enough to pay what it would cost to keep him on this team next year. We could put that money towards a proven CB.

I’m thinking we would have to send a high pick and offer Ray/DT

I like the thought and appreciate the idea; but I don't think the Broncos are legitimate playoff contenders and should not waste the draft pick. They are going to need all the picks they can get.
    sigpic

Comment

Ray is a FA after this season (I think) and DT given his play would likely not be wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
        I like the thought and appreciate the idea; but I don't think the Broncos are legitimate playoff contenders and should not waste the draft pick. They are going to need all the picks they can get.
        could not agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
          So I was listening to 104.3. The fan and Cecil talked about how the secondary needs help badly. With the way Mahomes has looked it doesn’t look good for our secondary. So he threw the idea looking for a team that might be willing to trade a cb. The one name mentioned was Patrick Peterson. While I don’t think it will happen, I was curious as to what you think it would cost to get him at this point in his career ?

He just turned 28 and is under contract until 2020. With an avg salary of around $12 mill per year.

As much as I like Roby, I don’t think he is good enough to pay what it would cost to keep him on this team next year. We could put that money towards a proven CB.

I’m thinking we would have to send a high pick and offer Ray/DT
          I think the draft pick is what has value, not Ray and Thomas. No one (especially Arizona which already has an older receiver) wants an older high contract guy.

Looking at Peterson's cap number (minus the signing bonus which Arizona would keep) he'd cost them the balance of $11 million this year, $11 million plus a $250k workout bonus in 2019 and $12 million with a $250k workout bonus and a $250k roster bonus. 2018 is guaranteed, 2019 and 2020 are both not guaranteed.

I could see Denver being interested but they'd have to work out an extension in the offseason to lower his 2019 cap number. You also might need to redo some contracts this year to get the cap space to acquire him, because they're probably not taking Thomas or Ray in exchange.

I'd be interested, although the price would probably be a 2nd round pick or even conditional first round pick, so I could only see them doing it at the deadline if they think they've got a chance.

Comment

Including Ray in a deal for anyone note worthy is like including a conditional late round pick in 2 years time, the guy is a nobody in the NFL to anyone outside of this fan base. I would float the idea of moving Demaryius Thomas for someone if the price was right but no way am I including a potential pick in the high teens to get Patrick Peterson and his contract. Obviously Peterson is better than anything you could get at say even 10th overall, but you have to account for the contract and the pick you are losing, and losing Thomas, I wouldn't do it. I would just stay put for now and keep the 1st rounder and look to continue building. I don't think we are competing for a superbowl if we add a cornerback, so I would hopefully get rid of the Thomas contract at years end, move that money onto an impact free agent in his mid twenties, hopefully hit on our first round pick, and go from there.

Comment

I'd be excited if Denver traded this year's R1 #32 for a 28-year old prime CB who can be used to cover TEs- now, or neutralize opposing prime WRs- now.

Peterson immediately improves Denver's D by making the CB core (Peterson, Harris Jr., Jones, Brock, Roby, Yiadom) a top-ten unit, he can mentor other CBs (Bailey/Harris Jr.), and eventually transition to S.

I doubt Denver could land anything like Peterson in next year's draft who could contribute now while playing at a high level.

OL / ILB / WR depth can be found in other rounds and FA.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post

Exactly.It appears we have drafted well this year(Chubb will come on)If we can draft well again next year and with the release of Demaryius Thomas' heavy contract we can make a big SB Type splash in free agency in two years especially if Chad Kelly does turn out to be a Quality QB.

Comment

Still think something needs to be done in our secondary. Flacco easily moved the ball on our secondary. We need either a safety or another corner that can force a QB to hold the ball for a second longer so von and Chubb can get to the QB

Comment

If Peterson was actually available, this move would help tremendously.
                    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Still think something needs to be done in our secondary. Flacco easily moved the ball on our secondary. We need either a safety or another corner that can force a QB to hold the ball for a second longer so von and Chubb can get to the QB
                      Yup Brocks been injury plagued, Jones has given concern as well. Yiadom just isnt ready. I have a feeling though we will be content just getting Jones back next week.
                      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                      I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Teams are playing a lot of max pro against Denver right now, which limits the pass rush, but equally limits the amount of receivers they have out on routes. They can rush fewer players and call more zone coverage and this could get offenses to change.

You also have teams running a lot of short pick plays and throwing very short passes, zone takes care of the pick plays and allows defenders to play things going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                          Teams are playing a lot of max pro against Denver right now, which limits the pass rush, but equally limits the amount of receivers they have out on routes. They can rush fewer players and call more zone coverage and this could get offenses to change.

You also have teams running a lot of short pick plays and throwing very short passes, zone takes care of the pick plays and allows defenders to play things going forward.
                          Quick pick plays means we need the press the wr at the line. We need to be more physical and not worry about getting beat over the top

Comment

Quick pick plays means we need the press the wr at the line. We need to be more physical and not worry about getting beat over the top
                            You can still play press in zone. The Seahawks used to play press cover 3 constantly. It just means you're not going to have DBs running into each other on the slant/out combinations. Although even in man the Broncos should be switching that with a banjo call anyways.

Comment

Adding Peterson would be fantastic. But, I have serious doubts that AZ would entertain the thought. Why would they?

That said, Denver has serious issues at CB. I have always loved CHJ but I think he needs to play slot and I'm not sure he is what he once was any more. Roby will ask for too much money. Yiadom...too soon, who knows. Pacman: makes me ill to see him in a Denver uniform and his career is essentially done. Brock: wasted addition. Smith: seems lost out there. QB is the highest priority (unless Kelly explodes) but CB has to be a close second. So, I love your idea of adding a multiple Pro-bowler and wish it could happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X