Top 5 Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Pick

This is gonna be a great year to have a top 5 pick.

If we dont screw this up that is.... Bosa just declared.

It's an extremely deep draft for defensive linemen. Quantity and quality. So it's a very good draft to fill those needs. But it would be really tough to have back to back top 5 picks and not fix the most important position on the field, QB. If Kelly gets in and looks the part (he'll play eventually) than maybe, but they have to fix that position.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      It's an extremely deep draft for defensive linemen. Quantity and quality. So it's a very good draft to fill those needs. But it would be really tough to have back to back top 5 picks and not fix the most important position on the field, QB. If Kelly gets in and looks the part (he'll play eventually) than maybe, but they have to fix that position.
      Agreed. I think it provides us tons of flexibility. We could go any number of directions. Nick Bosa is a beast and IMHO is better than Joey (who has been great). I love that we could get a kings ransom if someone wants to trade up. We could take a guy at the top. We could even trade our existing guys if we are worried about cap space (von). Its a great time to look forward to the draft.

Comment

Forbid it be that bad but trade back couple spots with someone you think will be bad next year too. This upcoming draft, continue building up your team with oline,cb,mlb and dline help. Find out what you have in kelly with case as backup

Next year you have at least 2 1st rounders to move up if needed to get tua. I cant stand alabama but the more i hear about him the more i like.
        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Unfortunately this draft isnt one if you need a QB.

Drew Lock, Justin Herbert (may not come out), Dwyane Haskins (ditto), Ryan Finley, Clayton Thorson, Jared Stidham.

It's not a great class to pick a QB, and i wouldnt take any of them minus probably Herbert over a non-QB pick.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
            Unfortunately this draft isnt one if you need a QB.

Drew Lock, Justin Herbert (may not come out), Dwyane Haskins (ditto), Ryan Finley, Clayton Thorson, Jared Stidham.

It's not a great class to pick a QB, and i wouldnt take any of them minus probably Herbert over a non-QB pick.
            It depends where you're drafting. It may not be a deep year for QBs, but if the top 2-3 are good and you can get one, you take one. Waiting for the next year on players you hope come out, and you have no idea if you'll be in position to draft, or trade up for, makes no sense if you're in position to get one this year.

Comment

It depends where you're drafting. It may not be a deep year for QBs, but if the top 2-3 are good and you can get one, you take one. Waiting for the next year on players you hope come out, and you have no idea if you'll be in position to draft, or trade up for, makes no sense if you're in position to get one this year.
              True, but you never want to reach for a QB. That can send you even further back. You need the right QB AND the right system
              "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                True, but you never want to reach for a QB. That can send you even further back. You need the right QB AND the right system
                You're right, and I don't mean reach for one at all costs. I mean if you're drafting high enough and Justin Herbert is there, and you view him as a guy that will be a good match for the team, you take him. Don't wait until next year hoping for a QB who might enter the draft and you might be drafting high enough to get. But I wouldn't trade up to draft the 5th best QB, just because the team needs one. I think both are bad strategies, the second being worse than the first though.

But in full disclosure, unless the Broncos are drafting top 3 and/or can trade up for Herbert, I would be giving Indy a call seeing if they might be looking to move on from Andrew Luck (assuming he plays the full season healthy) because I think with the right coach, he's a guy who can get the Broncos where they need to be quickly.

Comment

You're right, and I don't mean reach for one at all costs. I mean if you're drafting high enough and Justin Herbert is there, and you view him as a guy that will be a good match for the team, you take him. Don't wait until next year hoping for a QB who might enter the draft and you might be drafting high enough to get. But I wouldn't trade up to draft the 5th best QB, just because the team needs one. I think both are bad strategies, the second being worse than the first though.

But in full disclosure, unless the Broncos are drafting top 3 and/or can trade up for Herbert, I would be giving Indy a call seeing if they might be looking to move on from Andrew Luck (assuming he plays the full season healthy) because I think with the right coach, he's a guy who can get the Broncos where they need to be quickly.
                  Luck would be great, if just for the irony of landing a third Colts QB who happened to be the 1st pick in the draft. However, you mentioned in another post there's speculation Seattle could move on from Wilson. He's someone I want even more. He doesn't have any injury concerns and imo is a more versatile QB than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                    Luck would be great, if just for the irony of landing a third Colts QB who happened to be the 1st pick in the draft. However, you mentioned in another post there's speculation Seattle could move on from Wilson. He's someone I want even more. He doesn't have any injury concerns and imo is a more versatile QB than Luck.
                    I agree Wilson>Luck
                    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Top 5 might be out of reach but top 10 is possible.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                        He definitely is, the difference between the two right now is contract. Wilson has 1 year after this one remaining before he needs either the franchise tag or a new contract. Luck still has 3 years left on his deal. If a team were to trade for Luck, his cap numbers would be: 2019 $21.1 million, 2020 $22 million, 2021 $21 million.

For a QB those are good cap numbers for 3 years of certainty. That's why I lean Luck, not because he's better (he isn't) but because he gives a better value cap wise for the next 3 years.

Comment

He definitely is, the difference between the two right now is contract. Wilson has 1 year after this one remaining before he needs either the franchise tag or a new contract. Luck still has 3 years left on his deal. If a team were to trade for Luck, his cap numbers would be: 2019 $21.1 million, 2020 $22 million, 2021 $21 million.

For a QB those are good cap numbers for 3 years of certainty. That's why I lean Luck, not because he's better (he isn't) but because he gives a better value cap wise for the next 3 years.
                          That's a good point. Hopefully Luck is becoming sick and tired of the Colts wasting his career and is looking for a fresh start.
                          Last edited by gerontion; 10-19-2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I havent followed luck this year. Hows he doing and hows his arm strength?
                            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                              I havent followed luck this year. Hows he doing and hows his arm strength?
                              From what I've seen he's made all of the throws when needed. His completion % is currently the highest it's been (if you stretch it over an entire season) at 64.6%, however his yards per attempt are the lowest it's ever been. 16 touchdowns, but 8 interceptions.

Considering the amount of time he's missed, I think those are reasonable, but you'd definitely like to see his Int numbers go down. And his yards per attempt go up.

He's currently on pace for 4,779 yards, 43 touchdowns and 21 interceptions.

Comment

Working...
                              X