Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Davis Webb

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Davis Webb

    Was a 3rd round pick of the Giants in 2017, currently on the New York Jets practice squad. Went first to Texas Tech and unseated Baker Mayfield as the starting QB, before being unseated as the starter by Patrick Mahomes. Went to California for 1 year as a graduate student and played fairly well.

    Coming out he had some things that needed some work. But his former Giants teammates really said some good things about him. Looking at his draft profiles he seemed to have his warts, but he also has some upside, and there's talent there.

    If I'm the Broncos I sign him to their active roster and sacrifice the 3 game checks they have to guarantee him, in order to bring him in to have a look and see what he has? It might end up being nothing, but that doesn't matter because the cost is almost non-existent. And if he does end up being a guy they can use, it's a win.

    Low risk, high reward. I really see no reason for the team not to do it.

    Highlights from 2016:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyvERacmKpY

    Draft Profile:

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...ebb?id=2557897

  • #2
    Sounds like too logical a thing to do! lol

    Comment


    • #3
      Ben McAdoo planned to make him the starter when he benched Eli Manning last year. But, he oddly decided to start Geno Smith for a week, and Webb was supossed to start the following week and close out the season.

      The backlash was so bad when Manning got benched that McAdoo was fired and Webb never got his shot. The thing is had McAdoo went straight to Webb, more people would've bought into the Manning benching as they were evaluating a young QB. Instead he started Geno Smith, who everybody already knew sucked, and McAdoo quickly became the most hated person in New York.

      Sounds like Webb has fallen out of favor with the new coaching staff there, as he was pegged to be the starter at the end of last year, and is now stuck on the practice squad.

      It's interesting to wonder what McAdoo saw in Webb, enough to risk his job and bench Manning. The funny thing is that McAdoo was right that it was probably time to move on, as Eli has continued to regress this year, and is badly showing his age.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
        Ben McAdoo planned to make him the starter when he benched Eli Manning last year. But, he oddly decided to start Geno Smith for a week, and Webb was supossed to start the following week and close out the season.

        The backlash was so bad when Manning got benched that McAdoo was fired and Webb never got his shot. The thing is had McAdoo went straight to Webb, more people would've bought into the Manning benching as they were evaluating a young QB. Instead he started Geno Smith, who everybody already knew sucked, and McAdoo quickly became the most hated person in New York.

        Sounds like Webb has fallen out of favor with the new coaching staff there, as he was pegged to be the starter at the end of last year, and is now stuck on the practice squad.

        It's interesting to wonder what McAdoo saw in Webb, enough to risk his job and bench Manning. The funny thing is that McAdoo was right that it was probably time to move on, as Eli has continued to regress this year, and is badly showing his age.
        He's not even on the Giants practice squad. He was released Sept 1, because he lost his roster spot to Kyle Lauletta. Webb signed with the Jets practice squad.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          Was a 3rd round pick of the Giants in 2017, currently on the New York Jets practice squad. Went first to Texas Tech and unseated Baker Mayfield as the starting QB, before being unseated as the starter by Patrick Mahomes. Went to California for 1 year as a graduate student and played fairly well.

          Coming out he had some things that needed some work. But his former Giants teammates really said some good things about him. Looking at his draft profiles he seemed to have his warts, but he also has some upside, and there's talent there.

          If I'm the Broncos I sign him to their active roster and sacrifice the 3 game checks they have to guarantee him, in order to bring him in to have a look and see what he has? It might end up being nothing, but that doesn't matter because the cost is almost non-existent. And if he does end up being a guy they can use, it's a win.

          Low risk, high reward. I really see no reason for the team not to do it.

          Highlights from 2016:

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyvERacmKpY

          Draft Profile:

          http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...ebb?id=2557897
          Why not? It also might behoove Denver to draft a couple of QBs in the next year or two. The Redskins double dipped in 2012 and Cousins certainly helped mitigate the RG3 fiasco.

          Comment


          • #6
            Interesting topic. I will have to give it more thought.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              He's not even on the Giants practice squad. He was released Sept 1, because he lost his roster spot to Kyle Lauletta. Webb signed with the Jets practice squad.
              Ahh, the Jets.. missed that one

              Comment


              • #8
                Isn't this the guy who decided to transfer from Texas Tech to Colorado, and then left Colorado hanging at the alter?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                  Isn't this the guy who decided to transfer from Texas Tech to Colorado, and then left Colorado hanging at the alter?
                  He graduated, so he was a graduate student and decided to go to California instead of Colorado.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "Davis Webb is a starter in this league, no doubt," Jets safety Jamal Adams told the Carlin, Maggie and Bart show on WFAN New York on Tuesday. "He has the intangibles. He has the work ethic to be a starter one day."

                    Interesting.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                      "Davis Webb is a starter in this league, no doubt," Jets safety Jamal Adams told the Carlin, Maggie and Bart show on WFAN New York on Tuesday. "He has the intangibles. He has the work ethic to be a starter one day."

                      Interesting.
                      PFT speculated that the Giants released him to take pressure away from he Webb needs to replace Manning crowd. But with Manning looking done and Lauletta deciding that he's an idiot, the Giants may end up re-signing Davis Webb.

                      I really want the Broncos to take the chance. It's a free chance, all it costs is 3 game checks, if he's awful you move on with no real loss.

                      https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-davis-webb/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yeah good points, I don't see any downside really. I would rather be taking chances on finding a quarterback, even though your pickings are slim and the odds of anything coming from it are even slimmer, but why not as you say ? I would rather have Webb, or any other quarterback on the roster over fumble guts McKenzie.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I support this Notion !

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Leave no stone unturned!
                            Glen Haven Fire

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X