No announcement yet.

New HC/DC combo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hoping for an offensive-minded HC, to install his system and give the offense some continuity, and a 4-3 DC to help players like Chubb and Walker. However, I'd not be against a ST coach like Dave Toub getting the HC job.

EDIT: In an unrealistic scenario, but an example of OC as HC and 4-3 DC, I'd take Mike Shanahan as HC and John Fox as DC. Coaching only, front office takes care of scouting and building the roster. Poor defense and bad drafts were Shanahan's downfall, but Elway is not doing much better. We don't have a QB, don't even have a punter.
    Last edited by -Rod-; 10-28-2018, 04:59 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
      Yet another VJ fire thread. Kinda old. How bout we wait to see what actually happens.
      Agreed it’s getting old. But it’s going to happen something this season or once offseason starts.

Comment

I don't know much about John DeFillipo, but I know that Vikings fans all year long have been annoyed with him, the offense, and Kirk Cousins. The Vikings had a game this season where they called 4 running plays in an entire game of football, and put up 6 points of offense with Cousins throwing the football 55 times, I can't look past that honestly, no thank you.

I am personally a fan of defensive head coaches who hand their offense over to the coordinator to run. I hate when head coaches call the plays, and I personally like defensive head coaches who are strong men who demand respect, and set the tone for the entire team. From discipline, to game day decisions, I want a guy who when he stands in front of people, whether it be the team or the media, he can command the room, guys like Vance don't give me that vibe, a guy like Dave Toub does.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          He's had two seasons as an OC, the first one in Cleveland was absolutely awful. This one isn't great. Considering the offensive firepower he has at his disposal it seems low for him to be coaching the 11th best O in yards and the 14th best in points per game.
          Actually his season in Cleveland wasn’t bad, I believe that was the year Derek Anderson looked like an all-pro and Josh Gordon exploded. Their offense was not the issue that year. And being ranked 11th and 14th in the league is worlds better than what Joseph rankings were when he got the job. Someone will score big with Flip, hoping it’s us.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            Toub would be my choice for HC. I think he's by far the best candidate out there, who hasn't been a HC yet. For OC you could look at coaches likely to be fired this year, Adam Gave being one, although that's unlikely since he is angry with Elway for not promoting him in 2015. Jason Garrett might get fired, he was pretty good when he was just the Cowboys OC. Dirk Koetter will be fired in Tampa (probably) the Bucs are currently the number 1 O in the league in yards and 8 in points per game.

For guys who aren't currently HCs or OCs that might be available: Joe Lombardi longtime QB coach in New Orleans had a 3 year run in Detroit as OC, but was pretty unremarkable there. Or how about Ben McAdoo? Was a bad HC, but did a good job as an OC for the Giants.
            No to McAdoo, I can’t stand his hair.

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
              Actually his season in Cleveland wasn’t bad, I believe that was the year Derek Anderson looked like an all-pro and Josh Gordon exploded. Their offense was not the issue that year. And being ranked 11th and 14th in the league is worlds better than what Joseph rankings were when he got the job. Someone will score big with Flip, hoping it’s us.
              Funny because I keep reading things from Minnesota fans who hate him, they say he has no flow or rhythm to what he's doing.

Also we may have different definitions of what's not bad. They were 25th in yards per game. 30th in points per game. 21st in passing and 22nd in rushing. McCown and Manziel were their QBs. And Gordon missed the entire season due to suspension. So you may have been thinking about another season?

This year with the Vikings they're now 9th in total yards (just 5 yards per game better than Denver), 14th in points (1.1 points per game better than Denver), 6th in passing (Denver is 20th), and 29th in rushing (Denver is 7th).

Not sure I see the hype? Especially considering the difference in talent levels on the O.

Comment

Dave Toub is probably who i'd go for, Chiefs coaches/players rave about him. Denver interviewed him before, before hiring VJ. But only question is what would the rest of his coaching staff look like?

Comment

It seems like the vikes and keenum miss shurmur. Just like carr misses musgrave....
                  Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                    Dave Toub is probably who i'd go for, Chiefs coaches/players rave about him. Denver interviewed him before, before hiring VJ. But only question is what would the rest of his coaching staff look like?
                    I would hope he would bring on a former HC to his staff. That's why I have been suggesting Toub as HC and Chuck Pagano as DC. I'm not sure what we would do with offensive coordinator though. There will be plenty of options. I would assume that Toub would want an offensive guy from the Andy Reid coaching tree to come in and be his OC.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Experience View Post
                      I would hope he would bring on a former HC to his staff. That's why I have been suggesting Toub as HC and Chuck Pagano as DC. I'm not sure what we would do with offensive coordinator though. There will be plenty of options. I would assume that Toub would want an offensive guy from the Andy Reid coaching tree to come in and be his OC.
                      The problem with the Andy Reid Coaching Tree (from an offensive perspective) is that the OCs are really just OCs in title, but Reid handles all of the play calling and game plans. Matt Nagy last year was the only one who had any experience doing those things because Reid gave them up part way through last season.

Now that's not to say it's a bad thing, Andy Reid was never an OC and never called an offensive play until he became the Head Coach in Philly.

It's actually amazing to look back at old coaching staffs and see who came from them, the Mike Holmgren staffs in Green Bay were pretty loaded. I was just looking at the 1997 Philadelphia Eagles staff, and on offense you had: Jon Gruden (OC), Sean Payton (QBs), Juan Castillo (TEs), Bill Callahan (OL), David Shaw (quality control). That's a lot of quality coaches on that offensive staff.

Comment

I like the Toub/Pagano combo the more I think about it!

Comment

Wouldn't it be kewl if we could convince Peyton to be our next OC.

Toub, Pagano and Peyton 😎
                          :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                            Wouldn't it be kewl if we could convince Peyton to be our next OC.

Toub, Pagano and Peyton 😎
                            I’d be down for that.

Comment

I want Peyton back in pretty much any capacity. He lives with his family in the Denver 'burbs. Joe Ellis, this needs to happen!

As for head coach, I'm all for Harbaugh or Toub.
                              Adopted Poster
                              AZ Snake Fan

Comment

If you’re going to hope for a losing season, why not hope for 3-13?

I don’t know if I want to trust Elway with a coaching hire any more than I trust him to draft or sign the right quarterback.
                                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                                You Mad Bro?
                                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Working...
                                X