No announcement yet.

My new Mock Offseason, keeping it real!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Mock Offseason, keeping it real!

So I've decided to do a mock based on some success in the upcoming weeks. I can easily see us beating Cleveland, Oakland, and San Fransisco but think we lose to Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. The Chargers game is up in the air since it's at home. Realistically we could wind up 8-8 or 9-7. For the sake of this mock I'm gonna put us at 7-9 and drafting 15th overall.

Unfortunately for some of us, a 7-9 record and being competitive in our losses might be enough for Joseph to keep his job for one more year. I think John is willing to give Vance the benefit of the doubt and sees improvement, so in the spirit of not being wrong about who he picked as coach, Elway gives Vance one more year, but gets him some help!

Some other positives coming from the last 6 weeks; Lindsay and Freeman continue to perform, Keenum settles in and finishes the year strong, Sutton proves to be the new #1, our o-line gels and performs above average, Chubb winds up with 15 sacks, and Cravens winds up being the playmaker we need at S.

Hires:

OC Gary Kubiak
    Kubes wants to go back to playcalling and Elway won't let him get away. In this scenario Musgrave is retained but demoted to QB coach and Assistant OC. Him and Kubiak work together on offensive schemes.

DC Chuck Pagano
    We definitely need and upgrade at DC, and Pagano will be the best name out there. Elway lures him in to run the defense and he brings his bro along with him to coach LBs and be the assistant DC. Joseph has little to no say in defensive playcalling. The Pagano boys run the defense together, meaning we stick with a base 3-4 alignment but with some 4-3 looks as well.

Personnel:
    As the announcer said in Sunday's game; "the cupboard is not bare in Denver" we just need to fill some holes and re-load instead of rebuild.

Our biggest needs, in no particular order;
    QB, O-Line, NT, ILB, CB

Our Free Agents:
    QB Kevin Hogan - Re-sign to a 1 year deal
    TE Jeff Heuerman - Re-sign to a 2 year deal
    OT Jared Veldheer - let walk
    C Matt Paradis - let walk
    G/T Billy Turner - Re-Sign to a 3 year deal
    C Gino Gradkowski - let walk
    OT Cyrus Kouandjio - Re-Sign to a 1 year deal
    G Max Garcia - let walk (please)
    DT Domata Peko - let walk
    DE Zach Kerr - let walk
    OLB Shaq Barrett - Re-sign to a 4 year deal (will be pricey, around 7 million per, but need to keep him around as our 3rd OLB)
    OLB Shane Ray - let walk
    OLB Deiontrez Mount - let walk
    CB Tramaine Brock - let walk
    CB Bradley Roby - let walk
    S Shamarko Thomas - let walk

Re-sign all of our RFAs to original round tenders with the exception of Shelby Harris, put a 2nd round pricetag on him or extend him.

Cut:
    ILB Brandon Marshall (makes too much money to simply be mediocre, we use his money to re-sign Barrett)

*We pick up Keenum's option, making him our starter for the 2019 season. There simply is no one available and we don't want a rookie starting week 1. I know it's a lot for a QB of Keenum's caliber, but we're kind of stuck.

Free Agent additions:

RT Bobby Massie (2 year deal)
    OG J.R. Sweezy (2 year deal)
    *We spend some coin on the o-line. Massie would be an upgrade at RT over Veldheer and Sweezy provides competition at Guard. Either way we wind up with;
    LT Bolles
    LG Leary
    C McGovern
    RG Sweezy/Turner/Wilkinson
    RT Massie/Turner
    Left side is set, good competition on the right side.

NT Grady Jarrett (4 year deal worth about 12-13 per)
    Atlanta lets him get away and we lure him in. A great disruptive force in the middle that we need and Peko is not providing.

CB Kareem Jackson (4 year deal worth about 10 million per)
    Instant upgrade over Roby, ferocious competitor with a chip on his shoulder, with him and Harris we have 2 lockdown CBs.

**We trade a 4th round pick to Dallas for ILB Sean Lee. I know I know, Lee is too injury prone. When he is on the field his is a top 5 player at his position. Well worth a measly 4th round pick. Dallas has 2 young stud LBs so they will be willing to part with him, what a great player to help with Jewell's development as well.

So entering the draft all of our immediate needs are filled. We spend big in FA to give us upgrades on the O-line, at NT, and at CB, and by trading for Lee we have a solution at ILB as well, albeit temporary. We can enter the draft focusing on getting our future at QB. After pre-draft work-outs Herbert seperates himself as the #1 guy and is out of our reach. Lock comes in at #2, then guys like Grier, Finley, and Stidham are toss-ups at the #3 spot. Jones and Haskins stay in school.

1. QB Will Grier (WVA)
    Elway and Kubiak fall in love with this guy after putting him through the process. His skillset will adapt well to Kubiak's playaction rollour scheme and he is a real leader which we need. A year behind Keenum and we have our guy for the next decade. Grier is projected in the early to mid 2nd round on most sites, but once he works out and Jones and Haskins decide not to enter, he will get into the 1st round. Elway doesn't take a chance on missing out and snatches him up.

2. CB Lavert Hill (Mich)
    We need a new slot CB and Hill fits that position perfectly, Harris, Jackson, and Hill will take us back to the no-fly zone days of glory.

3. WR David Sills (WVA)
    We give Grier a familiar face to toss the rock to. Sills may go higher than this due to his production but his 40 time will hurt him and he could fall here.

Rounds 4-7
    1 RB
    1 O-Lineman
    1 ILB
    1 OLB
    1 P

There ya go boys, dissect and flame away. Personally I would love this team moving forward. Not crazy about keeping Joseph but just can see it happening.

Love it. Make it so, Will Grier is going to be a stud.

Comment

Working...
    X